It's raining Slysz Bowies Halleluyah!

People thought they were too high at 300. At least enough did that they weren't selling well enough for Spyderco to keep them in production. Now people are going crazy to own them just because of someone else's opinion.

It's mind blowing really.... it's the 'can't have it' psychological worm eating away!

I just don't get the hype and am generally not a fan of raw Ti scaled knives like the Slysz Bowie, SpydieChef, Techno and others.

In fact, out of over 90 Spydercos in my collection, I own only 1 -- the K2 Folder, which I like far better because it's bigger and cheaper than the Slysz Bowie and has a blade style much more intimidating and suitable IMO for slicing "anything" (whether man or beast) than any of the other Ti knives.

The combination of the power of suggestions made by some reviewers, the camp-follower mentality of too much of the public and the wildly fluctuating vagaries of the fashions of the moment is a powerful combination. Many may worship the Slysz Bowie, but I’m not moved. I’ve missed out on some good knives in the past, I’ll miss out on others in the future and I’m not going to lose any sleep over missing out on any of them. TBH, I doubt I’d buy in even if Spyderco revived it and did a Slysz Bowie v. 2.0...

Mine never locked up right and Spyderco wouldn't fix it for me so I would never take another one even if free.

I just don't get the hype and am generally not a fan of raw Ti scaled knives like the Slysz Bowie, SpydieChef, Techno and others.

:eek:
First of all, thats blasphemy. Because Ti Millie.
:D

In fact, out of over 90 Spydercos in my collection, I own only 1 -- the K2 Folder, which I like far better because it's bigger and cheaper than the Slysz Bowie and has a blade style much more intimidating and suitable IMO for slicing "anything" (whether man or beast) than any of the other Ti knives.
I have both the K2 and the aforementioned CQI TI Millie. Personally, I dont need my folders to look 'intimidating,' but the Ti Millie is at least as efficient looking - or 'intimidatng' if you will - as the K2. Both are excellent slicers.

a few years back, I worked in a large organization, and one coworker was into this whole reselling thing... he would have become a concert ticket scalper if he had the smarts & $ to buy large swaths of tickets via a computer program. But what he did do was scour the internet and other places for popular toys, rare lego sets, and things like pokemon & other 'junk' (imho). He resells them on kijiji etc for double+ what he gets them for...

I just don't understand the whole markup-mentality that some things get away with...
the latest one I remember was the re-issued mini-version of a nintendo classic or something... they had a limited production run of only half a million units initially in 2016 I think... all of which sold out in a day or 2 and then promptly were put on kijiji and ebay for double the $ (or more!) There were mad rushes on walmarts and gamestop retail outlets that reminded me of the stupidity of black friday sales for this.

It's absolutely a crazy world we live in... people paid that much cuz consumer hype mentality has taken over and any notion of common sense is out the window.

I can't bring myself to participate in this hyperinflation nonsense, even though I know I could easily make some money at it, it just feels immoral (even though of course, it's not, as re-selling anything at hyper inflated prices must be agreed upon by both parties)

It seems to be happening every Christmas season now, with 1 or 2 toys that get 'hyped' ...I just shake my head every year and feel like we're heading for a brick wall somehow.

Nick openly admits you shouldn't buy one for 500+ and they are not worth that coin. He's said this in many videos. Yes he preaches them as one of his favorites. But yea. The knife community that follows him is crazy with fads and trends when they see his videos. It's pretty sick but what can you do.

I know he did say that they were a good knife with 350$ being rediculously overpriced to buy one. They are a great knife and the Spyderco Slysz builds have been some of the best built.

I still want them to release the damn Spyderco Slysz Swayback.

People don’t want to spend the time and money figuring out which knives they like for themselves so his word is practically gospel. I should have bought all of them when they were 300$ because I knew they were going to go through the roof as soon as I saw the videos.

Big ups to Nick for not stocking the 100s of Slysz Bowies before gushing about them at discontinuation. He could have made a killin’

Has anybody tagged Nick in this thread? @NickShabazz

I gotta figure he'll get a chuckle out of this thread at least. He's tried hard to dampen the enthusiasm for the Bowie to no avail.
He what now ... ?o_O
Ohh, you mean after he hyped it (which makes even LESS senseo_O. Not referring to your post but to a YTer raving and then trying to 'dampen' the enthuiasm, if that is the case. I dont know, as I dont rely on YT/NS for my knife purchases).

I dont personally follow NS. Speaking in general terms, Ill never understand the hold these YTers have over the general public. Be it the recently mentioned Survival Lilly or NS (no comparson intended). But hey, if they can make a buck more power to them.
As for the Bowie, I like it a lot and would like to own one. Just not about to pay $400-500.

Big ups to Nick for not stocking the 100s of Slysz Bowies before gushing about them at discontinuation. He could have made a killin’

How do you know he didn't? His real identity isn't known right?... he could have been buying them and reselling on ebay/kijiji etc etc without anyone being the wiser.

I'm a bit surprised he commands such a hype factor, he's only got 70k subscribers

How do you know he didn't? His real identity isn't known right?... he could have been buying them and reselling on ebay/kijiji etc etc without anyone being the wiser.

I'm a bit surprised he commands such a hype factor, he's only got 70k subscribers

Knife community is smaller than we think it. It is actually a small group of knife fiends spending more than a professional drug addict.

Well, if the easily swayed subscribers all lust after a limited amount of Bowies ...

for what it's worth, dutch bushcraft knives has more than double the subs - nearly 200k, and cutlerylover is OVER 500k subs...
which makes Shabazz seem tiny in comparison

a few years back, I worked in a large organization, and one coworker was into this whole reselling thing... he would have become a concert ticket scalper if he had the smarts & $ to buy large swaths of tickets via a computer program. But what he did do was scour the internet and other places for popular toys, rare lego sets, and things like pokemon & other 'junk' (imho). He resells them on kijiji etc for double+ what he gets them for...

I just don't understand the whole markup-mentality that some things get away with...
the latest one I remember was the re-issued mini-version of a nintendo classic or something... they had a limited production run of only half a million units initially in 2016 I think... all of which sold out in a day or 2 and then promptly were put on kijiji and ebay for double the $ (or more!) There were mad rushes on walmarts and gamestop retail outlets that reminded me of the stupidity of black friday sales for this.

It's absolutely a crazy world we live in... people paid that much cuz consumer hype mentality has taken over and any notion of common sense is out the window.

I can't bring myself to participate in this hyperinflation nonsense, even though I know I could easily make some money at it, it just feels immoral (even though of course, it's not, as re-selling anything at hyper inflated prices must be agreed upon by both parties)

It seems to be happening every Christmas season now, with 1 or 2 toys that get 'hyped' ...I just shake my head every year and feel like we're heading for a brick wall somehow.
Its a kind of lemming effect. Once the hype surrounding X item gains momentum, all sense flies out the window.

As for inflated prices, I often see people referring to 'eflay' prices as a justification for deamanding big money for knives etc. As if eflay prices were a measure of aything bordering on the realistic.
Speaking of which, one of my favorite vintage knives is the Cattaraugus 225Q. I paid $45-50 for my first 225 knife years ago at a gun show.
Now I see lots of eflay sellers demanding $200-300 for Cat225s in mediocre conditiono_O
The 225 was hardly a 'sprint run' either. They made a million of them fer crying out loud....

for what it's worth, dutch bushcraft knives has more than double the subs - nearly 200k, and cutlerylover is OVER 500k subs...
which makes Shabazz seem tiny in comparison
What I said above about YTers goes doubly for DBK and their ''info-tainment' circus act.
Especially DBK is easly digestable fodder for the masses.
But I digress, its about the knife after all.

I work near the Spyderco shop and was in the shop with a guy from my work (non knife guy, just stopped on our lunch hour) the same week it was announced that they were being discontinued. They had them in stock and I mentioned to my buddy if he wanted to make a small return he could buy up a few from stock, even if they were full retail. I wish I would have heeded my own advice.

That would have been the one time ever I'd have picked a sure bet to make a few bucks.

Back