Jérôme LATREILLE

My Jérôme LATREILLE Laguiole accompanied us to Quebec this Christmas week. We galavanted in the cold and snow of the very hilly Vieux-Québec City and nourished ourselves to stay energetic and warm. Our dear local friend was a bit taken a back when I started pulling out knives for photos. Out of respect, I refrained taking photos in the finer restaurants. 🤗

Last edited:
Our dear local friend was a bit taken a back when I started pulling out knives for photos. Out of respect, I refrained taking photos in the finer restaurants. 🤗

Muggles. There's just no understanding them. ;)

I like your style Ray. Some people take less valued knives on their travels to guard against loss. You make memories with yours. :thumbsup:

First post in this thread for the New Year and I'm very proud to announce that M.Latreille sent me a package last Monday :cool: Inside were 2 knives, a robust production pattern I'd sent him and his interpretation of the commission I gave him. Absolutely entranced, this certainly exceeded all expectations. It's of the Gouttière pattern so named as its bolster (mitre?) is lined & deeply grooved Rat-Tail fashion to look like rainwater gutters, I believe. Not a very glorious nor indeed common pattern these days but one I immediately took to when Corto_Malt Corto_Malt kindly sent me a present of one.

My photos are not much good as ever but nothing can mirror or mask my enthusiasm! :D Around 10 cm / 4" shut, quite a narrow rounded handle these have and a long Sheepfoot blade pull is strong but smooth, first rate, I asked for stainless liners and bolster, carbon blade no nick as it's well broad to pinch open, stamped initials, Warthog Tusk scales and firework. All brilliant but it's the BOLSTER where he has really excelled, deeply grooved, lined and with a very apt rustic pivot. Inside the liners are polished. I'm not sure I need any more knives.....;) Bravo Jérôme!

bzfXMud.jpg

FY85Kwa.jpg

bZiHPOF.jpg

Last edited:
First post in this thread for the New Year and I'm very proud to announce that M.Latreille sent me a package last Monday :cool: Inside were 2 knives, a robust production pattern I'd sent him and his interpretation of the commission I gave him. Absolutely entranced, this certainly exceeded all expectations. It's of the Gouttière pattern so named as its bolster (mitre?) is lined & deeply grooved Rat-Tail fashion to look like rainwater gutters, I believe. Not a very glorious nor indeed common pattern these days but one I immediately took to when Corto_Malt Corto_Malt kindly sent me a present of one.

My photos are not much good as ever but nothing can mirror or mask my enthusiasm! :D Around 10 cm / 4" shut, quite a narrow rounded handle these have and a long Sheepfoot blade pull is strong but smooth, first rate, I asked for stainless liners and bolster, carbon blade no nick as it's well broad to pinch open, stamped initials, Warthog Tusk scales and firework. All brilliant but it's the BOLSTER where he has really excelled, deeply grooved, lined and with a very apt rustic pivot. Inside the liners are polished. I'm not sure I need any more knives.....;) Bravo Jérôme!

bzfXMud.jpg

FY85Kwa.jpg

bZiHPOF.jpg
So beautiful! 😲

Zieg

I was learning that the early mouche were flowers, saw and interesting video from Stefan Schmalhaus about some of the myths about Laguiole knives. The bee thing being a symbol of Napoleon is a nice story only. The decorative mouches are a later thing.
Early "mouche" was an alternative locking system to ring lock, used since the XVIIIth cent. on "palme" spring. It was plain, and was adapted on early slip joint Lags. The nail breaking locking system was abandonned later but the mouche remained.
(picture © Lemasson)
Lemasson-Lag.jpg

As you noted early Lags had mouches had later all sorts of decorations, fly/bees appearing at the turn of the XXth century along horse head, flowers, sun, etc...

"Art is generally understood as any activity or product done by people with a communicative or aesthetic purpose—something that expresses an idea, an emotion or, more generally, a world view. It is a component of culture, reflecting economic and social substrates in its design."*

*Google's stab at it!!

Back