JACK-2

After examining the JACK 2.0, I would have to give it my Best Production Knife of 2019 vote. In terms of fit and finish, innovation and the action and value for money, I cannot say I've seen a better knife all year straight from a box - and I get to handle a hell of a lot of knives of most production brands. Shiro, Reate, Liong Mah, CKF, ZT, Spyderco, Rockstead etc etc. I had a stand next to the Rockstead owner two years in a row. He makes wonderful knives.

Even the USD$3000 Andre Thorburn custom I handled didn't impress me that much. The current owner said it was sent back three times before the original owner was satisfied with it. Sure it had a Damascus blade, fancy silver scrolled inlays made by a Swiss watchmaker and was quite nice, but I couldn't see or even feel the value in it. It was just another folding knife with a bit of bling. The owner was nervous as hell carrying it. I suppose I would be too. Like parking a $500,000 Ferrari in a supermarket parking lot and scared the doors will get dinged.

The JACK 2.0 is a big knife and I prefer other blade shapes. However, it looks way better in the hand than in Reate's photos.

Great job Reate.

Last edited:
I can't find a production company that can provide the fit & finish at the price point that Reate has set. Remarkable

I whole heartedly agree with that, I have never had one Reate that wasn't amazing out of the box. ZT makes some awesome knives for the money as well but Reate is a notch above the rest.

After examining the JACK 2.0, I would have to give it my Best Production Knife of 2019 vote. In terms of fit and finish, innovation and the action and value for money, I cannot say I've seen a better knife all year straight from a box - and I get to handle a hell of a lot of knives of most production brands. Shiro, Reate, Liong Mah, CKF, ZT, Spyderco, Rockstead etc etc. I had a stand next to the Rockstead owner two years in a row. He makes wonderful knives.

Even the USD$3000 Andre Thorburn custom I handled didn't impress me that much. The current owner said it was sent back three times before the original owner was satisfied with it. Sure it had a Damascus blade, fancy silver scrolled inlays made by a Swiss watchmaker and was quite nice, but I couldn't see or even feel the value in it. It was just another folding knife with a bit of bling. The owner was nervous as hell carrying it. I suppose I would be too. Like parking a $500,000 Ferrari in a supermarket parking lot and scared the doors will get dinged.

The JACK 2.0 is a big knife and I prefer other blade shapes. However, it looks way better in the hand than in Reate's photos.

Great job Reate.

Did they ever reply to you about additional blades being available? Even if just the same blade as a replacement, when may be needed in about 20 years? This could be a lifetime knife.

Did they ever reply to you about additional blades being available? Even if just the same blade as a replacement, when may be needed in about 20 years? This could be a lifetime knife.

LOL - in 20 years I doubt I'll be here to make use of it. Maybe ten years...

I have asked the same question a few times since. The first reply was "we would like to but don't have enough manpower". Making the comb attachment held it up about three weeks. The last time I asked the answer came back "maybe" - so possibly other people have been asking as well. The more people who ask the more likely they are to do it. :)

A customer's review -he is a university lecturer so he has a talent for stringing words together.

"As I took my Reate Jack 2.0 out of its storage pouch for the first time and admired its perfection I had what I can only describe as a teenage movie experience. In both Wayne’s World and Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure the central characters are overwhelmed by the sheer perfection of certain things they encounter. As I flipped my Jack 2.0 open for the first time I felt a sense of awe at its marvelousness. I could just about hear the central characters from the movies exclaiming “Excellent!” and “We’re not worthy!”

The build quality of the Jack 2.0 is better than any other Reate knife I have. The detent is strong and the blade flies open with a satisfying and authoritative thunk. The big pivot, two part blade, and blade shape are probably not going to be for everyone, but, for me, the knife has a compelling, highly mechanical, and purposeful appearance.

For my medium sized hands, the Jack 2.0 is surprisingly comfortable, even though it does not look very organic or ergonomic. The contouring of the handle makes for a very secure grip and I hardly notice the pocket clip when holding the knife.

The blade came extremely sharp and I am having far too much fun shredding paper.

The Jack 2.0 is an expensive knife, but I can already tell that I will not be experiencing any buyer’s remorse. If you want a knife that represents the peak of just about affordable perfection, then the Jack 2.0 might also be the right knife for you."

Last edited:
Just ordered a flamed TI carbon fiber version, however the Mrs. is going to hold it till my birthday. The fact that I have an original JACK may have influenced me.

iDDhztL.jpg

I really wanted the flamed TI on the original JACK, but that marble carbon fiber and Oden’s Eye Timascus was too much to pass on. Not carried frequently but an absolute pleasure when carried.

Back