1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Jackmandu

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by Turbo Tension, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Turbo Tension

Turbo Tension

May 6, 2010
    Ishouldhaveorderedtu

Great knife. Might add spacers, the grip is on the thin side!!

Pics later

2. cut it out

cut it out Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Got mine 1/2 hour ago. I personally love the feel. Fits me perfect. I love it so far.

3. cut it out

Apr 11, 2010
    Here is a quick pick of mine. http://[​IMG]

4. jdigi101

jdigi101 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Thanks for the pic. Mine is being delivered now and I am not there to sign.

Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow.

5. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Here's another pic of mine with my LE. The thin grips grew on me in a hurry, love how the contours provide feedback and feel really comfortable in multiple grips. Not totally ruling out liners in the future, but really happy with it as is. I'm also in the "Ishouldhaveorderedtu" camp lol.

[​IMG]

(Trying to get a good natural patina on my LE, but every time I baton with it a bunch rubs off :rolleyes:)

6. cut it out

Apr 11, 2010
    It feels like the finger choil is deeper than the RMD. I wish it was at least the same but it's still sweet. Taking mine to camp this weekend. Will have in use pics Sunday or Monday.

7. =MAX=

=MAX= Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 6, 2006
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Man that blackout looks really good MAX.

9. 1AbominAble1

1AbominAble1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Ahhhhhh,
    I should've bought this one instead of the BG BossJack !

I hope I can find one for a fair price on the exchange.

10. cut it out

Apr 11, 2010
    Took mine to camp this weekend. Was very nice. Like it a lot. http://[​IMG]

11. cut it out

Apr 11, 2010
    It just laughed at the pine I split up for kindling http://[​IMG]

12. kniferMan

kniferMan

Jul 16, 2011
    Great knife! The g10 is thicker than the canvas. Same as with the InfiDu....me likes :)
    [​IMG]

13. dogboye

dogboye Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hmmmm.... Finally got to pick mine up, after a couple of weeks of it waiting at the hotel where I was staying on det, once I went back on det. My G10 is pretty thin. Feels thinner than the canvas on my RMD's and IMD's, and the g10 on my SMD. Love the blade shape (was thinking I wouldn't, based on photos alone). But.... I have to say I'm really disappointed in the workmanship on this one. I guess I've come to be spoiled on how perfect all my Swamp Rat knives have been --7 in all, from the Rodent 6 down to the regular RMD, all fairly recent manufacture. I think the oldest I have is probably the INFImandus. This one, not so much. It took about half a second of looking at it to see that the tang is above the scales. In the hand, it is immediately apparent that the metal of the tang extends above the scales. It really bothered me, though, that it seemed to be worse on one side. I figured the scale on that side was machined a little undersize. BUT, as I was sighting down the edge to see the thickness behind the edge bevel, I noticed that it looked like the blade blank was cut on a slant. :eek: WTH? That is really weird! Now admittedly, I had just gotten off a flight from the east to the west coast, with several delays as well. So I had been awake about 18 hours at that point. I haven't had a chance to really examine it again today, so I could have just been completely out of it. But it definitely seems that the tang extends above the scale on one side worse than the other. I suppose it could have been something that happened during the coating stage (sage). Dunno. It isn't quite bad enough that I feel compelled to complain to SWKW about it, and I'm not trying to dis them on here. But I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this? Is the tang supposed to extend above the scales on this design?

I'll try to get a couple of photos and post on here later today/this evening. But due to the way the tang is on this one, and the fact the edge is the best one I've ever gotten out of Swamp Rat (or maybe even Busse!), it is going to become a real user. Probably beat it like a rented mule. It definitely feels like it can take some heavy usage. And like I said, I love the shape. Kinda wish I had gotten two. So, in summary, love the knife... it just was a bit of a surprise after the perfection I've seen out of Busse-kin in the past. Recent past. Which is as far back as I go.

14. scdub

scdub

May 29, 2004
    Rockspyder: I got one second-hand on the forums that's just like yours.
    Love the blade shape, edge is great, but there's a raised lip of metal that starts at the tip and travels all the way down the spine and around the handle to the choil where it finally disappears at the edge grind. It's curious that they didn't grind that lip off before coating the blade - wherever it comes from (waterjet???). It's not a problem on the blade spine but on the handle there's a very obvious ridge that will make a hot spot with prolonged use. I've had a few bussekins and while they aren't always perfect mine have at least always been completely functional. This guy is on the edge (so to speak) so I'm going to take some pics and contact the Swamp. If they can't help I think I'll just reprofile the handle and blue the tang. Will report on my findings.

15. dogboye

Nov 23, 1999
    That is what I'm planning on doing (filing it down to 90deg). And then doing something to protect the bare metal. Will probably involve mustard. I have a second one coming that I snagged off the exchange. Gonna be rather pissed if it is the same way (and the seller didn't mention it). If it is good, then the bad one will get the hell beat out of it, and the one coming will be the backup. Don't plan on contacting the Swamp. I've got plenty of perfect ones from them. Something went off on this one, but I don't feel inclined to start sending it around the country.

ETA: I will be very interested in what happens with yours.

16. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Bummer guys. I triple checked mine, but there are no issues with it. I'd say if there is any question of being dissatisfied, contact the shop so that they're aware of the issue and have a chance to make it right. Traffic is so light on this sub right now that it's possible no one from the shop has seen this.

17. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I saw this before...and forgot about it.
    It's raining today; so my plans are changed - guess I'll pull out the JMDs, and give them a closer inspection.

18. dogboye

Nov 23, 1999
    I guess I'll drop them an email, after HHMOORE checks his. I'm curious if there are even more than just these two. I really would prefer it just be right, so I guess emailing them is the right thing to do.

As I think I said before, I wasn't trying to bad mouth them. Was mainly wondering if I was the only one.

19. scdub

scdub

May 29, 2004
    Just got an email back.

Swamprat asked for me to send the knife to them with a note explaining what's what's wrong and that I wait until mid-June so they can concentrate on Blade show. That all sounds ok - the only concerning thing is that in my original email I explained the problem, offered to send pictures, and explained that since it's a small imperfection they might not consider it a flaw. I just hope I don't have to send the knife there for them to take one look at it and say "it's fine". But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and just keep my fingers crossed. Will advise - probably late June.

20. dogboye

Nov 23, 1999
    hhmoore, did you get a chance to check yours?

I guess I'll email them about it, and ask some of the same questions. If I have to wait until after Blade, though, it is probably going to be OBE. I'll probably get impatient, and work on it myself.