1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Jarosz KA-BAR GAW and Q&A!

Discussion in 'KA-BAR Knives' started by J.M. Jarosz, May 25, 2016.

1. nutoknives

nutoknives

Mar 27, 2011
    Great Gaw I am in
    How long do we all have to wait for the Jarosz Ka-Bar Folder and can you share the proto pics with us Thanks

2. J.M. Jarosz

J.M. Jarosz

Feb 26, 2013
    We have discussed it but I cannot say for sure if/when something like that will happen. The more requests the better!
    Thank you!
    Thank you! I did design the knife and it has 1095cro-van steel with Ultramid scales.
    Thanks again!

Not sure if/when we will do aftermarket scales but if we get more requests for this it will definitely help. I'd love some nice Micarta scales.
    Thank you!
    Thanks for entering! I do have Polish roots. I am 3rd generation after my family came here early 1900s.
    Thank you! Blade is 1095 Cro-Van with an epoxy powder coat. Feel free to shoot me a message if you are in town!

I'm glad you are enjoying your M75!

There is a lot in the works for the KA-BAR Jarosz line, I can't say whether or not there will be folders but I hope you enjoy what is to come! 👍

I am happy to oblige with Roxy pictures!

[​IMG]

Turok is the middle name of one of my closest friends, who is also a US Marine. While he was in Afghanistan, the design began prototyping and evolved over several years to finally become the KA-BAR Turok.
    Thank you!
    Hahaha. You're in for a treat. The first knife I ever made, was some hideous Karambit looking thing that I cut out of a saw blade. I made it almost 8 years ago. I have it sitting next to my desk. Don't cringe too hard!

[​IMG]

I'd have to say one of my favorite knives is a Case/Tony Base collaboration, not sure what the name of it is but I think it was from 2012 and it has a jigged bone handle. Great little pocket knife that handles most small tasks really well. I don't carry it all the time, but it's one of the few non-jarosz blades I have and don't see myself letting go. I don't have any fixed blades other than what I make or KA-BARs.

If I named a knife after Roxy, it would probably be an everyday carry sized fixed blade. Roxy is a great companion in the woods and at home and it's always nice having her around, so I'd suppose a knife that carries that same kind of characteristic would be the Roxy knife. This has actually been tossed around for a long time, just haven't come up with the perfect design for it!

Thanks for the comment!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3. J.M. Jarosz

J.M. Jarosz

Feb 26, 2013
    Hi! Thanks for the question!

My Dad would be to credit for my interest in the outdoors. I went out hunting, trapping, and fishing with him as far back as I can remember. Those are my earliest memories. He definitely taught me everything about those things but the bushcraft is relatively new. We always went camping and stuff but it wasn't until the last few years I got into the more primitive practices. Learning bushcraft to me is just about getting out there and experimenting, same with how I learned making knives. It's nice to be able to consult with people more experienced and watch videos or read, but when it comes time to actually do something, experience is the best teacher. I don't really have anyone specifically, but I follow a lot of different bushcrafters on social media and I love watchin/seeing what they do!

I always find it difficult to compare knives because every knife will excel in certain areas over others and vice versa, but I'd have to say the thing that I really like about the Turok and what I think makes it a good knife is how balanced and fast it is for a larger knife. Being a combat utility blade, agility is definitely going to be key in swift deployment and maneuvering of the knife and I think the Turok excels in this area.
    Thanks for the question!

I'd be disappointed if you didn't add the Turok to your ninja arsenal! A ninja can definitely never have too many options.

Thanks for the question 👍

Despite the name, I haven't played the games! The knife is actually named after a friend. However, we have recently busted out the N64 so I might have to hunt down a copy of Turok. Right now I'm occupied with Ocarina of Time.

Thanks for the question!

Great picture!

I did crate-train Roxy and she was very well socialized with people and dogs. She loves dogs and especially loves kids. She isn't a huge fan of other animals like cats, but I really didn't have much of an option to socialize her with any, as none of my family or friends own any. Wild farm cats are about as close as it gets. On walks and stuff she doesn't really bother with them, but out on a hike she won't hesitate to do some chasing if I don't call her off. She's been very obedient, and if I tell her to back off, she will. Every now and then in the woods she will bark and chase something off in the night, and that is fine with me. She doesn't stray far enough away to let me out of her awareness. Very loyal dog.

We're considering our second Shepherd. They are extremely loyal and a great lot if fun to take to the woods.

Thanks!
    I carry one of my own folders at the moment. Been carrying this one for over a year now. Model is a Compression Lock Pulsar.
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

There are some aftermarket sheaths being made by guys like The 710 Sheath Co and Buy Brown. They both offer various carry options as well as colors and materials. Pretty awesome stuff!

I can't tell you exactly what we're working in right now but I can say that there has been some progress on some really cool projects lately! It's going to be an exciting year!
    My close friend and fellow maker Charles Marlowe is and always will be my biggest influence. His attention to detail is unmatched and he's just a great guy. I aspire for his level of skill. Truly one of the best. I'd also really love to own one of his knives someday.

Thank you!

My first knife was some cheap dagger that I believe was purchased in Branson Missouri on a family vacation when I was pretty young. It wasn't sharp, and I'm pretty sure it was poor quality, but that's the earliest knife I can remember owning.

Thanks!

Thank you, and thanks for entering!

From concept to production it takes about 2 years. Lots of stages of prototyping and discussion, and I'm sure there is a lot to handle logistically on KA-BARs end with getting production set up to mass produce a knife.

4. J.M. Jarosz

J.M. Jarosz

Feb 26, 2013
    Well I can't say whether or not there is a folder in the works for sure, but if there were, I'd definitely post as soon as I could! I can't share prototype material with you, but perhaps it would be interesting once a knife is released to shoe all the various stages leading up to production!

Thanks for the question!

5. KingMC

KingMC The Pun-isher Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    I'm impressed by your generosity in this great giveaway, I've loved the look of your knives from as soon as I've seen them.

If I may be so bold, what made you choose Ka-Bar over other production companies when you were looking for a company to make your great designs? Did you look elsewhere as well or was Ka-Bar your first choice?

6. J.M. Jarosz

J.M. Jarosz

Feb 26, 2013
    Thank you! I appreciate the compliment.

KA-BAR actually approached me in this instance, and I believe that's usually how it works with most companies and their designers. I've had other companies inquire about designing for them as well but my loyalty lies with KA-BAR for a number of reasons. I firmly believe there isn't another company out there with such good people. If you have ever visited the booth, you'll understand. Working with then on a regular basis illuminated this fact to an even greater extent for me. I'm not going to start getting into politics, but not everyone is so lucky to be treated well by a larger company. I'm really fortunate and thankful to be here and hope to be for many years to come! As long as KA-BAR will have me, I don't intend to design for anyone else.

7. zzyzzogeton

zzyzzogeton

Feb 17, 2013
    Thanks for the GA chance.

What is your primary style choice DAILY use - folder or fixed?

8. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    Since the folder question has been taken, I will ask if there are any plans to offer a more concealable sheath option for the Globetrotter knife? I like the knife a lot but am not a big fan of the sheath. Really like your work man, keep it up.

9. J.M. Jarosz

J.M. Jarosz

Feb 26, 2013
    Thank you for participating!

I'd really like to carry a fixed blade all day every day, but sometimes that just doesn't work out so I usually carry my Pulsar folder. My most carried fixed blade is a JFS, because it's small enough to fit in a pocket, but still big enough to be useful. [​IMG]

10. J.M. Jarosz

J.M. Jarosz

Feb 26, 2013
    There are a couple guys doing aftermarket sheaths and I know they could make a concealable sheath. The 710 Custom does a lot of work for KA-BAR already and I think he has some Globetrotter sheaths on the market! Also believe he is a member here.

Thanks a bunch!

11. Slipperyfish

Slipperyfish

Apr 6, 2014
    I've been eyeing this knife. I like the sheath, but was wondering if it is set up for a tek-lok? I'd like to mod it for crossdraw or even Scott carry.

12. J.M. Jarosz

J.M. Jarosz

Feb 26, 2013
    Thanks! Unfortunately this knife is not set up for Tek-lok. The lower rivets are pretty close, but that might make for an awkward balance. I do know that you can buy detachable loops for riveted sheaths though. That might be something that could work for you.

13. zuluninja

zuluninja boricua grinder

Aug 25, 2009
    Nice GAW! a clean design on that blade, for sure. Question: who will win the NBA Finals?

14. Buck3117

Buck3117

May 3, 2016
    Do you believe coating on a blade enhances or hinders the performance of a knife blade?

PS: nice looking knife.

15. J.M. Jarosz

J.M. Jarosz

Feb 26, 2013
    Thank you!

I don't follow NBA too much these days, but my team has always been Golden State so my bet was on them.... Now I'm going with OKC

16. J.M. Jarosz

J.M. Jarosz

Feb 26, 2013
    It really depends on the coating and the texture of it. I am of the opinion that a mirror finish is going to be the best performing finish, as it is so smooth and will experience very little resistance when cutting. The finer the finish on a coating, the better. The epoxy coating on the KA-BAR Jarosz line as well as a lot of the KA-BARs is very nice and smooth and doesn't give a whole lot of resistance.
    Some coatings have that really heavy orange peel texture to them, and some coatings are only microns thick like PVD coating. They are all going to vary quite a bit in how they respond to whatever it is you are cutting. This might be an interesting video idea, there are a lot of variables and I don't really know that anyone has really done a comparison like this.

Great question!

17. Lobo13

Lobo13

Aug 22, 2012
    I'm in
    What knives do you carry
    EDC ?
    Woods ?
    And what is your preferred steel & why ?

18. Xr6x

Xr6x Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Thank's for the very generous giveaway. How old is Roxey? She's a Great looking Shepard.

19. wazu013

wazu013 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Great idea for a GAW :thumbup:
    What do you think you could do better to promote your business?
    How many knives on average do you build out annually?
    Thanks again,
    Mike

20. llcarter

llcarter Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Thanks for the GAW! So here's my question - if you could only have one knife to do it all (I know, knives are not designed that way), what would that knife look like?