Jeep Guys and Pics

I had a 1962 Willys with a Buick Turbocharged 3.8 V6 with Dana 44s, stuffed in 36" Cepek tires on magnesium wheels. We're talkin' old school off road in the early 80s. Baddest truck in town, could not be stopped or slowed down. Then one night, after a lot of whiskey and a lot of beer and a lot of....well let's just say I should a never been flyin' that night and fly we did, straight up the side of the hill and right off a 30' sheer cliff landing on a 10'X15' slab of 8" concrete. We originally followed a set of dirt bike tracks up the hill.

Next morning when I went back with my mom's bf to yank the jeep out with a wrecker, as we started pullin' it up the side of the ravine layin' underneath the jeep were the wrecked remains of a dirt bike, apparently the guy on the bike didn't make it either. Can you imagine his surprise when he came back and found a '62 Willys settin' atop his motorcycle? LOL :D

I miss that Jeep, I paid $1,000 for it with a 6' Meyers Angle plow included. After wreckin' the jeep I sold the motor and frame for $1,000, the plow and plow frame which lucky for me was still in the yard and not on the truck, I got another $800 and then $800 for the wheels and tires. So the $1,000 jeep I destroyed still netted me $1,600 after deducting the cost of the jeep. :)

Here's a pic of a 57 Willys that I found buried inside my barn, it had been stored inside for 40+ years before I dug it out and gave it to a friend I owe money to. A little body rust and rot but a '57 frame as solid as it was in '57 when it was built. It also had a military trailer hooked up to it when I dug it out. I figured if I gave it to him it will see some life again instead of spending another 50 years in a building covered over and buried from view.

Here's the first daylight it's seen in almost 50 years as we get ready to load it onto the car trailer.

U5Hixrs.jpg

Oh one last thing, I am a member of the upside down jeep owners club ;)

Back