Jim Skelton Custom Knives?

jstn

Gold Member
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but today I stumbled upon Jim Skelton's webpage, ostensibly for his own line of custom knives. I know there are many who love his reviews, but I have always found him to be somewhat absurd. I put very little stock in his suggestions, and between his bizarre brand of machismo and self-styled knife expertise, I haven't ever been able to sit through a full video.

So, after looking through his website, I was surprised to find I actually do like a few of his designs, specifically the EDC model. I was even curious enough to look into pricing, only to quickly change my mind upon seeing what he is charging. Do his loyal followers really pay the hefty asking price for his customs? I will stick with my Izula and Street beat for less than one-fourth of what Skelton is asking. Maybe I am missing something?

Dont use fixed blades for EDC so its irrelevant for me. I dont know about his designs other than pics on IG i have seen. As far as price it depends on materials and time it took to make. Then again i wouldnt pay that much ($400 as stated above) on a fixed blade. But to each his own

Yeah, if I've got $400+ to drop on some S35VN, you'd best believe it's gonna be Chris Reeve that gets my money.

I'll honestly be really surprised if he can find customers for these knives at these prices, given the broadening of the custom knife market right now. Unless his YT followers are super rich and blindly devoted, I guess.

I can find many established custom makers with that use comparable materials and are a known quantify for less than the $400 (base model!) asking price. I suppose some people will pay for the name. I am really just wondering if Skelton has any real experience making knives, or if someone is assisting him along the way.

Personally, I have paid close to $400 dollars for some fixed blades, but one was a large custom, one was a Dark Timber, and the others were all Busse knives. I felt that most of them were worth the price, but again, they were much larger blades with excellent warranties behind them.

But, I have to agree with you Thin-Slice, to each his own, and I guess something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

Yeah, if I've got $400+ to drop on some S35VN, you'd best believe it's gonna be Chris Reeve that gets my money.

I'll honestly be really surprised if he can find customers for these knives at these prices, given the broadening of the custom knife market right now. Unless his YT followers are super rich and blindly devoted, I guess.
Is he the guy that reviews all of the impractical pocket jewelry ?
Haha, yes. I didn't want to word it that bluntly, but that was the exact wording that came to mind. Makes me think his customs will be little more than more of the same.

Skelton is a salesman, first and foremost, so I suspect his custom line will sell just fine. They're too rich for my blood and the garish coatings are off putting, but some of the designs seem pretty practical and at least one I just think is nifty. If there's a production collab I might pick one up, but for $400 he can keep 'em. ;)

In his defense, he also drops the occasional F-bomb. On account of his hardcoreness.

Oh. Ok.
Now since what he reviews is what he likes, then would it be wrong to assume that this is the kind of stuff he makes ?
I never finished a video of his so I'm not sure, but does he consider these to be functional cutting tools , and if not then is he making and selling more functional stuff ?

I can't say that I fully watched any of his videos. They seem rather pretentious to me. So do his knife prices for what they are.

He did not start out at that cost. And he has to make a living. He was trained by Jerry Moen, a master in knife maker. His fans have made the price you see today. Don't blame him only.

Anyways you'll are haters. He's just some guy in a world of people. He absolutely is a sales person. He has his own style and lots of haters. I'm not saying I don't agree with some of your guys point of views, cause I do. But it's just coming off on bad taste.

He did not start out at that cost. And he has to make a living. He was trained by Jerry Moen, a master in knife maker. His fans have made the price you see today. Don't blame him only.

Anyways you'll are haters. He's just some guy in a world of people. He absolutely is a sales person. He has his own style and lots of haters. I'm not saying I don't agree with some of your guys point of views, cause I do. But it's just coming off on bad taste.

Did I say I hated him or his knives? WTF? I stated a personal opinion on what I thought of his videos and knife prices. If I don't like the Spyderco Bug, that makes me a hater?

Huh? He's just now starting out making custom knives. Sounds like starting out at that cost to me.

Back