Jim Skelton Custom Knives?

Yea I agree his knives aren't worth much. But these people who are actually paying it are everywhere. Shit look at the people buying Quartermaster knives (the real scammers) . They are buying into the Jim Skelton brand. His followers that like his videos.

If someone wants to buy into it, why hate. Doesn't mean shit to us. And we know it's not worth it to us.

Yea I agree his knives aren't worth much. But these people who are actually paying it are everywhere. Shit look at the people buying Quartermaster knives (the real scammers) . They are buying into the Jim Skelton brand. His followers that like his videos.

If someone wants to buy into it, why hate. Doesn't mean shit to us. And we know it's not worth it to us.

I'm more just amused by it, that's all.

I'm just trying to point out that the emperor has no clothes.

Its like public school all over again. People want to be SEEN with the same swag the cool people are sporting. Some people are so insecure that they'd spend legitimate sums of money on trinkets because the comments and likes give perceived validation.

I have no idea how he is in real life. I've never even PMd him, but it's not too difficult to look up some of his history on other forums. Mr. Skelton has shown some absolutely fantastic knives over the years, and his YT persona IS entertaining. However it is also that of a blow hard egomaniac who loves showing off his one of a kind knives and he revels in that fact. Many find that grating.
For those that grew up in the 80's you might remember the show "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous". I liken Jim to the host of that show, Robin Leach. He shows you an over the top custom and gushes about all the special features. Then he points out that it's HIS one of a kind and it's something no one else (i.e. YOU) will never be able to acquire! And yes I still watch his stuff and follow him on social media. I find him aggravating, yet entertaining at the same time.

I am not trying to hate on the man, but those are a few of the reasons why he invites such a divisive opinion.
Like I said, I still follow him on both IG and YT. Although lately all he really does on IG is shill his own stuff (rightfully so).

But that's his persona, the showman. Jim Skelton the knifemaker is something altogether different.

My problems with Skelton's customs are twofold
1. I can see why some may find his design appealing. Seriously though, for a guy who is just starting out, he charges WAY too much for what he is producing. I've seen custom fixed blades AND folders for less $$. Made by much more established makers with a whole lot more than 6 months knifemaking experience.
He is taking advantage of his very wide viewership to sell his knives. I don't blame him for that one bit. I DO however have a problem with the fact that he charges (IMO) close to double what he should for the product. Jim quickly jumped headfirst into the knifemaking game, and bought a whole lot of expensive equipment to start. How can he pay for that equipment? By charging what he does. Even though his skill level is not to the point that validates those prices. We will see what happens when the fanboys have all bought one and he needs to get REAL customers who have never heard of him. I see enough potential where that CAN happen.

2. This one is simple. The guy is a hypocrite. Not sure if it's still on YT, but I remember a vid where he rails on about how he removed himself for the Grimsmo's (I think) books because they wanted payment up front. Well guess what Mr. Skelton requires when you order a custom from him? I'll give you a hint, it aint cigars.

Again, I really LIKE what Jim has done for the knife community. He has introduced quite a few custom makers to us, and those makers have reaped the rewards with filled up books shortly after a Skelton video. Did they slip him something on the side as many have accused? I neither know, nor do I care. It helped those makers exponentially either way. So if he got something on the sly it was earned.

I truly wish the guy nothing but the best of luck. I just wish he went about it in a different way.

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but today I stumbled upon Jim Skelton's webpage, ostensibly for his own line of custom knives. I know there are many who love his reviews, but I have always found him to be somewhat absurd. I put very little stock in his suggestions, and between his bizarre brand of machismo and self-styled knife expertise, I haven't ever been able to sit through a full video.

So, after looking through his website, I was surprised to find I actually do like a few of his designs, specifically the EDC model. I was even curious enough to look into pricing, only to quickly change my mind upon seeing what he is charging. Do his loyal followers really pay the hefty asking price for his customs? I will stick with my Izula and Street beat for less than one-fourth of what Skelton is asking. Maybe I am missing something?

I agree with your first paragraph, I would go so far as to say you are way too kind, and your summation is far too short. However, it is accurate. That is my personal feeling as a knife enthusiast myself, there are some folks that I just have on permanent ignore. Some people live in a fantasy world and the rest of us poor bastids live in the reality of life.

No worries NS!
Very well said.
I'll never buy anything from him, especially after reading some of the shit he pulled when he was a member on a large cigar forum.
Lowlife behavior.
Joe

Its actually IG, but yeah... You just summed it up. Trying to "buy" street cred.
Nice. Can't buy the streets when you're on em.

Jim learned from arguably one of the best in the business, used to sell trash to TV junkies back in the day, and appears to have deep pockets...the $$$ fixed blades, I assume, are only a stepping stone to corner the niche market he has successfully created for himself. No surprise here, whatsoever.

Functionality trails far behind form in his designs-- in my opinion.

I read that he had one of those Go Fund Me's set up for donations because he could no longer afford his lavish lifestyle after quitting his day job.

If I want a true workhorse of a fixed blade and also want to support the knife community, I'll just hit up Charlie Mike.

Go Fund Me and Kickstarter are dangerous things. Thats why I took it on myself to buy my own CNC... $300/month for the next 3 years, and thats just for this:

1505290661518775732386.jpg

The base cabinet, computer, etc were another $2k+... Needless to say I'm eating ramen ;)

He did not start out at that cost. And he has to make a living. He was trained by Jerry Moen, a master in knife maker. His fans have made the price you see today. Don't blame him only.

Anyways you'll are haters. He's just some guy in a world of people. He absolutely is a sales person. He has his own style and lots of haters. I'm not saying I don't agree with some of your guys point of views, cause I do. But it's just coming off on bad taste.

Call me a hater then! I admit, I can't stand his Youtube channel, so there is some bias from that. Good to hear that Skelton is actually trained, and a few of his designs look pretty good. If he were to do some toned down versions without all the flourishes for a fraction of the cost I would be likely to buy one.

But bad taste? I don't know about that. This is a knife forum, a place to discuss knives and their makers, prices, etc., and this seems completely germane.

Never heard of this guy, but I don't watch YT knife reviews. I googled him and checked out his website. Some of his knives are real pretty, but they don't look that functional. If I was into paying that kind of money just for "pretty", it would only be from a maker with a great reputation that I have respect for.

This guy is trying to start at the top and it just doesn't work that way. If you have a real passion for knifemaking, you will pay your dues with hard work and dedication. This guy will not be around for the long haul IMO. Once the novelty has worn off with his followers and they move on to the next big thing he will have no foundation left to stand on.

Why are there no unbiased reviews of any of his knives? (that I could find)
Why no mention of warranty on his website?
No mention of processes or equipment he is using either? and an extra $300 for off the shelf Damasteel?

PASS!

I read that entire thread Chris, wish I saved the link.
Long story short, he lost his job and a Good Samaritan on the cigar forum offered a rental property to him till he got back on his feet, at an extremely considerate rental sum. He was married with a small child at the time.
Skelton never made one rental payment and it wound up jamming the property owner up big time.
He wound up skipping on over $30,000. Damage to the property also.
Just total scum.

From what I've read he's a sleazy thief who stole from people on a cigar forum. No thanks jimbo.

Back