JK Knives...Hiker vs. Kephart

I've already decided I need a 4" blade from John. The question is, which one.

Price between the two is so close that it's really a moot point.

So far I'm leaning toward the Hiker, just based on looks and handle design. Anybody used both? Thoughts?

Man I'm really craving a Kephart style blade at the minute, they just look so traditional and functional.......if only my wallet was not so light !!!!

Just give in and get them both, that's what I did. His Kepharts are one sturdy darn knife but then all his knives are built to take on anything. Nothing weak kneed in his line of blades.

JK Knives

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Ooh, Ooh, I know the answer to this one! Buy both! :eek:
Just kidding (or am I?) ;)
John

Kephart. Wider Blade, Traditional look, I have 2. One with 4in blade 3/16th thick, and one with 1/8th thick 3in blade. Both in black micarta.

John is a easy dude. You can get the keppy blade w/ a hiker handle in several handle materials, or his original keppy design, you can add thumb grooves, choose your pins for the handles, the skys the limit bro. Whatever you choose, make it JK and you wont be dissapointed!

101_1192.jpg

101_1015.jpg

101_0990.jpg

I've got to order one of JK's knives here pretty soon...great looking "user" blades! But I agree, I would probaby go Kephart first and then a Hiker if I couldn't get both at the same time:D

ROCK6

J Williams- Which blade thickness do you like best? I am thinking of going for the 1/8.

J Williams- Which blade thickness do you like best? I am thinking of going for the 1/8.

Thats the question man. I LOVE my 3/16th. Its a beast, but honestly the 1/8 is perfectly fine. I wanted it 3/16 to be abused if needs be. The 1/8 IMO is a fine thickness, It used to out slice the 3/16 till ban put a wicked convex grind on it.

Bottom line is 1/8 will likely perform all you would ever need out of a fixed blade. Im probably gonna get flamed for that but its my opinion.

Im a sadist though, and I like some heft to my steel;)

I think the thicker blades have a place as choppers, but Ive also seen Koyotes blades do some impressive stuff at 3/32. I think the thickness debate goes back and forth. Me, I like thick blades. Well, 3/16 max.

If you don't really need the thicker blade, I would go with the 1/8 thick. I don't know what you already have but to me the 1/8 slices a bit better. Of course if you need to chop and stuff then the 3/16 should be fine.

JK Knives

All kidding aside, what are your plans for the knife? That`s what will help you decide whether you need the 1/8" or 3/16". I`ve only done 2 Kepharts in 3/16", all the rest have been 1/8". Also, as Jake pointed out, the Kephart has a wider blade (1 1/4") versus the Hiker`s (1"). Another thing, the Kephart has a more "hand filling" design, if you have bigger hands, it just feels better.

John

It's going to be a belt knife and I do carry a small tomahawk most times. I think 1/8 is best for me.

I was leaning toward the Hiker because the handle design lends itself to better cord wrapping. However I'm going to go for regular handles on this one so I may go to the Kephart. The photos of the Hiker on John's website just look so darn cool thugh... :D

Can anybody post some more pics of a Hiker?

I gotta say Kephart all the way. I have one of Johns Kepharts in the standard 1/8" thickness and it tackles everything I throw its way from food prep to bushcraft tasks. I love it. The sheath is plain, sturdy, and functional and thats what I like. Simple is best. Its a simple design and totally functional. And at a great price, you can really abuse the crap out of it, what good is a knife too pretty to use.

JK Knives

Here you go. I will say, I`ve sold a lot more Kepharts than Hikers.
votoar.jpg

mcw8qp.jpg

JK Knives

Man I love that blade.

Hiker it is. I don't care what any of you say. :D

Now to decide on the black handles, or some of that nice wood I have on hand. ;)

John

Gahhhh...decisions decisions.

Gimme a week or so and I'll email ya John.

Thanks.