John Powell stops by the Titanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
John is over from SFO and participating in the Reno Gun Show at the local Hilton but he found time to get over this evening for a nice visit. John is an upbeat guy and that was good for me. He teased me about being too skinny and then teased me at dinner saying I ate too much to be this skinny. Yangdu fixed a Nepali meal -- beef curry, dal bhat, a nice mix of red and green peppers as salad substitute and some weeds Nepalis like to eat. John ate about 3 pounds of the beef curry and then teased ME about eating too much. But even so I invited him back.

John Powell, one of the good guys and perhaps the world's leading khukuri authority. Glad to have him for a pal.

Yangdu fixed a Nepali meal -- beef curry, dal bhat
Wow .. dhal bhat sure sound tasty!
a nice mix of red and green peppers as salad substitute and some weeds Nepalis like to eat
Is it what Indian called as chatney?

While searching for dhal bhat recipe I came across with pict of a Nepalist lady and I think i was charmed by her natural beauty! I think she has a Hasiya with her!

:D

Uncle Bill; John is just getting back at you and Yangdu for YOUR feasting at his place in SFO! :D He is a standup guy, and it's great to have him as a friend at H.I.! :)

"Black dal is grown in Kathmandu at the edge of the paddy."

Dude, if you knew what also happened at the edge of the paddy, you probably wouldnt be asking for black dal!

(I recommend yellow dal, or better yet, white!)

DannyinJapan said:
"Black dal is grown in Kathmandu at the edge of the paddy."

Dude, if you knew what also happened at the edge of the paddy, you probably wouldnt be asking for black dal!

Scary thought; DIJ might be right! :D

We had yellow dhal -- mung dhal. We have a small local Indian market where we get most of our supplies. But, we still get some stuff shipped in from Nepal with the khukuris every now and then. I generally don't like Nepali food very much but last night was a great exception.

The infamous yellow dhal.. my wife is Indian, I know it well..
watch out for that green curry and those little bell shaped peppers.

I remember when we moved in together the first year and she cooked curry for me for about 3 months straight. I smelled like curry.. but finally, I asked her to sit down with me and said, "Honey, I really truly love you, but I just gotta have a cheeseburger and fries or fried chicken sometimes". Since then, she has learned all sorts of American food, so funny.

When we go out to eat, my favorite restaurants are Chinese, Thai or Japanese.. her favorite is Cracker Barrel.

my #2 favorite food (after a big-ass chopped brisket bbq sandwich) is katskare.
(japanese)
it is a fried pork chop on rice smothered with spicy brown indian curry.

Heaven!

So Danny You advoid rice & Black lentils but you eat jap Pork? ;)

Watch out for this one then, it infects humans as well! :D {Gives a new meaning to feel that baby!}

Japanese B. Encephalitis (JBE)
(543) Japanese B. encephalitis (JBE) is caused by a virus (a member of the flavivirus group) which is spread by mosquitoes. The pig is the natural amplifier and reservoir host. In other words it serves to multiply up the virus and keep it going. Many other species can be infected including most domestic animals and many wild animals such as rabbits, mice, birds, bats, snakes and lizards.

Should you be concerned about JBE?

You should be if you live or work in South Asia.

JBE is confined to a large area of South Asia, about 6500 x 6500km (4000 x 4000 miles), centred on the China Sea and stretching from Ceylon to Japan and from New Guinea to Mongolia and Eastern Russia. This includes such major pig producing countries as China, Taiwan, Korea, Thailand, the Philippines and Japan.

If you live outside this area of South Asia, there is no risk to your herd and no risk to you unless you decide to visit the area, in which case get yourself vaccinated twice, preferably three times, before you go. ;)

Importance of JBE

JBE is not a very important disease of pigs causing only sporadic reproductive problems.

Its main importance is its threat to public health. :barf:

Clinical signs
The main clinical signs are degeneration of the boar's testicles and infertility and the birth of abnormal piglets. These include mummified foetuses, dead piglets with subcutaneous oedema (excess clear bodily fluid under the skin), hydrocephalus (water on the brain), and weak piglets sometimes with nervous signs.

Diagnosis

This requires laboratory examination of dead stillborn piglets and affected boars' testicles.

Definitive diagnosis depends on the isolation of the virus in tissue culture and demonstration of antibodies in stillborn piglets serum, usually by an ELISA.

Similar reproductive problems are caused commonly by parvovirus, aujeszky's disease, PRRS, certain strains of influenza, CSF(hog cholera), and some enteroviruses.

Post-mortem
There are no specific lesions visible to the naked eye. :rolleyes:

Treatment

There is no effective treatment.

Hope you vacinations are up to date Danny! :rolleyes: :D
Spiral :D

To Danny in the land of the Japs.

I use the term Jap The same as I use the term Brit. {check my combat axe post.}

So please dont give me your fake p.c .attitude. {having read your past un p.c. generalisations about the japanese, & Dorothy in Wiz. of Oz. etc.etc.}

I also use the terms kuk & kothi! Sorry if my lazyness offends you.

Personaly I always find jokes are best if you can take them as well as give them.

Spiral the Brit. :D

Where I came from, the term "Jap" was meant and used with a sense of hatred.
When people were not trying to be offensive, they said "Japanese."

It's kinda like the term "limey."

I asked you politely, didnt I ?

DannyinJapan qoute" Where I came from, the term "Jap" was meant and used with a sense of hatred.
When people were not trying to be offensive, they said "Japanese."

It's kinda like the term "limey."

I asked you politely, didnt I ?"

I use Jap the same as I have previously used Brit on this forum.

I cant help your that you have heard others use it with a sense of hatred.

If i was bieng hatefull I would say slit eyed yellow bellie oxegyen theives, But I am not hateful when I say Japs.

I know & understand the difference. Perhaps oneday you will to.

Spiral the Brit. Limey. pom. on a Yank forum thas has Ozzies on it as well. :rolleyes:

I know a forumite who calls himself "Nostrildamus". He's generally a good guy with some information to share. However, he doesn't appreciate being called a "booger" by others. I use the term "booger" all the time in my normal conversation, but out of respect for the Nostril, I refrain from using the term while he is present. Wether I have the right to use the word or not is not the issue. The question should be "Do I have enough respect for this person to not purposely offend him?"

Not that I know anything. I usually keep my mouth shut to avoid getting beat up. :confused:

Ease up, Danny. Think objectively. Let go of the emotion, and step back.

John the Yank

You know, it's not just me. One of the coaches for the Dallas cowboys recently was forced to make a public apology after having used the word "jap".

It's not my imagination..

The Associated Press
Updated: 5:48 p.m. ET June 08, 2004IRVING, Texas - Bill Parcells won't be fined by the NFL for calling surprise plays used in practice "Jap plays," a remark for which he later apologized and called inappropriate.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Tuesday that no action would be taken by the league against the Dallas Cowboys coach.

"I made a very inappropriate reference, and although I prefaced it with the remark, 'no disrespect to anyone intended,' it was still uncalled for and inconsiderate," Parcells said in the statement Monday. "For that I apologize to anyone who may have been offended."

Parcells was talking to reporters at the team's minicamp about how his quarterbacks coach and defensive coordinator try to outdo each other when he made the comment, an apparent reference to Japan's 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor.

I'm very much afraid that the entire world is getting way too sensitive.

The words should only be avoided if they are meant in a demeaning, hateful, or hurtful manner. If they are used among friends, they should be let go.

BTW, I'm almost always wrong about these things.

Joe (The Kraut) Aardvark

Status
Not open for further replies.