John Prine

This is just tragic. Lost a lot of good ones this year...

My condolences to you guys - I feel like I've only just discovered his music. That just sounds silly now...

This is just tragic. Lost a lot of good ones this year...

My condolences to you guys - I feel like I've only just discovered his music. That just sounds silly now...
Na, Dylan, we all drift around and discover new music, even if it's old! Have fun checking out his tunes!
There is other singer/songwriter folks also worth looking up if you never have. Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt, Blaze Foley just to name a few.

Na, Dylan, we all drift around and discover new music, even if it's old! Have fun checking out his tunes!
There is other singer/songwriter folks also worth looking up if you never have. Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt, Blaze Foley just to name a few.

I did enjoy that Blaze Foley tune that John posted a ways back.

Just heard. Sorry, guys.

Just saw this was already up. I really am behind.

Last edited:
Oh well... this is sad news. Sing some John Prine today and make yourself laugh (among other emotions). That's the way he would like us to remember.

Last edited:
What a bummer, he was an amazing guitarist. Glad I got to see him play recently in Omaha. Very humble and personable man. RIP.

Damn you, Covid-19.

John has gone. The world has a great big hole.
I will miss him immensely.

Thank you John for your many songs. You touched me. You made me think. You put me at ease. You taught me things about myself, about the world.

I first met John's incredible music in 1995 or '96. I was working at a furniture shop and one of the older guys knew I liked music. He brought in John's first album along with his third album, "Sweet Revenge" (both on vinyl). I was 25 or 26 . I loved Sweet Revenge. It had the coolest cover-- Prine all in denim sprawled out across the front seat of a convertible. It was right about then that the radio station was playing "We are the lonely" from his killer work "Lost Dogs and Mixed Blessings," an album that'd just come out. It's one of my favorite albums John made.

To me, John was a album artist. His records have a cohesion, something you just want to spend time with, something you can get lost in for a spell. They're so damn rich. My other favorite work is 2005's "Fair & Square," a Grammy-winning masterpiece.

In 2002, I married the love of my life. When it was time for us to dance together on the reception floor, I had the DJ play "This Love is Real."

Like all of us walking around today, this hurts me like Hell. It's horrible.
The world has a hole in its whole. I'm so glad the music will live on. He created a work that will outlive us, and outlive this God-awful virus that John contracted while on his European tour.

Thank you, John Prine. Thank you for the places you took me and for what you left behind

A great article in Rolling Stone.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/john-prine-obit-253684/

I suggested to listening to John Prine today for a laugh - but must say that I can't listen to Hello In There anymore without being overwhelmed thinking of my 92 year old Mother. She's well cared for and tenderly attended in a reasonably local assisted living facility.

More and more through the past year she has been diminished by dementia. Still always happy to see me and sibs and good for a laugh and a quiet lunch together but these days we are not allowed to visit. (Not enough emoticons to convey that :( :mad:) I don't know if I will ever see her to speak to her again. Not hyperbole but a very real concern... Hello In There - I wish I could ask.

John Prine music - soothes the soul and stirs the passions and longings. WE ARE and so it is.

Last edited:
I suggested to listening to John Prine today for a laugh - but must say that I can't listen to Hello In There anymore without being overwhelmed thinking of my 92 year old Mother. She's well cared for and tenderly attended in a reasonably local assisted living facility.

More and more through the past year she has been diminished by dementia. Still always happy to see me and sibs and good for a laugh and a quiet lunch together but these days we are not allowed to visit. (Not enough emoticons to convey that :( :mad:) I don't know if I will ever see her again. Not hyperbole but a very real concern... Hello In There - I wish I could ask.

John Prine music - soothes the soul and stirs the passions and longings. WE ARE and so it is.
Oh man that's tough stuff.
All I can say is hang in there. You've got no choice. 92 is a wonderful milestone. May she surprise you with more years, smiles and joy.

Thanks Don. We - family and Mother - all agree that she has lived a full and good life. I & the sibs have all "given her permission" to set herself free. She has frequently said she is ready and will welcome the change. Fortunately she is not suffering - healthy except for the feeble mind - which on the good side, allows her to live completely in the moment. Nothing - good or bad lasts past 5 or 10 minutes. ;) Still this current situation is bitter.

Sorry to pile on - just got to feeling a bit maudlin with the song this AM. For the most part I am reconciled. We are not alone in this human condition.

And now for a segment I call, "I'm way more blunt than this but will tone it way down for the interwebz"

Normally I couldn't give two shits about celebrities. I have more respect for someone that knows the working end of a shovel than an actor, or even a golden voice. The entertainment industry is a plotted marketing device, any talent found is eventually corrupted.

On the other hand, songwriters like John Prine (whose only equals in my opinion Dennis has already listed above), have actual God given talent. You can take classes and study it but you can't learn to write songs like Prines and I don't think anyone ever will again.

We must have been out watching the moon rise and the sun set around the time he passed. I always liked this line "the moon can lay sideways 'til the ocean stands still"

I heard the sad news John Prine has succumb & has passed away.
My parents were fans and I can remember Being 5 years old and learning to move the record needle so I could replay, over & over, the song : “that’s the way that the world goes round”

RIP John Prine! Thanks for all the memories!

Spent most of the past couple of days working in the garage on vehicles and other crap. Prine was on 99% on the time. :(

For you Prine fans that have Instagram, his wife has posted a couple of IGTV clips and Stories of John.

Back