John White “Old Glory” D Guard WIP

As I started a very challenging new career just before Blade Show, 2011 has been my
leanest year in acquiring knives since I initially got the Custom Knife Bug about 10 years ago.
So I’m extremely excited about my new John White Creation.

John White is an extremely talented and dedicated ABS Mastersmith whose work I have followed
and admired since he started. John really hasn’t been making knives all that long, which is very
surprising considering the masterpieces he’s creating. However, perhaps not so surprising if
you’ve seen the absolutely beautiful boats he created in his previous career.

The Knife:

I’ve never had a “D” Guard Bowie so thought it a good choice for my first John White knife. I’m
drawn towards modern renditions of classic designs so wanted an “Americana” themed Bowie and
the period “D” Guard Bowie seemed just right. To carry out this idea, we decided to go with a
Damascus blade that would have an “Old Glory” (American Flag) theme and a classic stag handle.
This is a new pattern for John so we are very excited about it. I happened to have a very nice old
amber stag carver squirreled away just waiting for the perfect project. I really looking forward to
seeing this project un-fold and I hope you will enjoy it as well. Let's start off with John's drawings.

John will be piercing the D-bow (a first for him) and Joe Mason will be applying his amazing skills in
the form of gold inlay to this piece.
JohnWhiteDGuardDrawing.jpg

John presented two options for the "Old Glory" "Stars & Stripes" damascus he created for this Bowie.
We chose the six-bar. The blade will be around 12" in length.
JohnWhiteDGuardDamascus.jpg

I want to thank John for taking the extra time and effort in sharing the creation of this Bowie with us.

All comments and questions are welcomed.

Last edited:
Kevin and John thank you for taking the time to share this with us. Looking forward to following its progress.

Kevin,

That looks like a great design.

One of the best things about getting a knife from John is receiving the work in progress photos from John as he does the work on the knife. It really seems to get the juices flowing to see the project completed.

I'm looking forward to seeing more photos.

Jim Treacy

you goin for lion's paw, or clam shell? (methinks lion's...)
Thanks for the thread Kevin and John, looking forward to the unfolding...

This is going to be a very fun thread to watch thank you both for doing it. just when I thought I had seen some of the best stag ever John comes up with this piece .

Kevin you could not have picked a more exceptional maker for this project

This will be as good as it gets and I am greatly looking forward to it

Thanks Merry X Mas

I really like this idea. Love the D-guard, and I would go with the lion's paw too. Probably the first entry for Bowie of the Year 2012!!

Marcel

Here's a billet for the "stars" after the first weld, cut and stacked into 4
pieces, and two 13 layer billets tacked together for the first weld for the 13
"stripes." We'll have 13 stripes for Old Glory and the 13 colonies. I believe
we'll be able to count 'em on the blade,( if all goes well.)
Damascus1.png

A "stripes" billet in the forge just after the kerosene burned off. You can see
the carbon covering the billet, which protects the steel by oxidation-reduction
as it comes up to welding heat.
Damascus2.png

Welding the first 13 layer "stripes" billet under my little 25 lb hammer.
Damascus3.png

The billet for the "Stars" is welded a third time, giving 132 layers, and drawn
out to 9/16 x 9/16, cut into two 10 inch lengths, and welded to handles for
twisting.
Damascus4.png

Each bar is twisted "9 to the inch" or 20-360 degree turns, all at a welding
heat, one right hand, one left hand.
Damascus5.png

Each bar is then re-squared.
Damascus6.png

The 13 layer "Stripes" bars are cut to size, 1/2 x 9/16 x 10, and lightly etched
to see the orientation, and to check that we'll be able to see the layers in
the" flag." They are laid in place with the twisted "Stars" bars, in the way they'll
eventually be welded.
Damascus7.png

Last edited:
I think the stag is the perfect compliment for an americana themed bowie.....star and stripes damascus?? just amazing!!

thanks for posting this thread I''l keep watching!!

Jeff

I have no doubt John will turn out something really special here.

Roger

you goin for lion's paw, or clam shell? (methinks lion's...)
Thanks for the thread Kevin and John, looking forward to the unfolding...

I really like this idea. Love the D-guard, and I would go with the lion's paw too. Probably the first entry for Bowie of the Year 2012!!
Marcel

Yes, we decided to go with the Lion's Paw.
Thanks everyone for your interest!

Back