July BOTM!!

I received mine just about an hour ago.I immediately noticed damage on the rear bolster around the two screws.It appears the assembler used an electric driver and ran it too far in and damaged the bolster. I decided to take it apart to examine the rest of the knife.I was successful except for the front handle screw.It had been stripped upon assembly and my torx driver just spun without grabbing.I took the bit out of the handle and used my fingers to insert the bit into the head of the screw.It again,just spun around with finger pressure.

This is not what I expect from Buck.I think Buck may have to start numbering their knives to determine which assembler makes such errors and still allow the knife to pass on to the shipping department.

I received mine just about an hour ago.I immediately noticed damage on the rear bolster around the two screws.It appears the assembler used an electric driver and ran it too far in and damaged the bolster. I decided to take it apart to examine the rest of the knife.I was successful except for the front handle screw.It had been stripped upon assembly and my torx driver just spun without grabbing.I took the bit out of the handle and used my fingers to insert the bit into the head of the screw.It again,just spun around with finger pressure.

This is not what I expect from Buck.I think Buck may have to start numbering their knives to determine which assembler makes such errors and still allow the knife to pass on to the shipping department.
Are you going to send it back?

Thats never good news to hear. I am the one that assembled the rear sub assembly (and the one that designed it) I did not use an electric driver. 2020 has hit our company as well but the show must go on. I do apologize for the stripped screw in the handle I had to thicken the wall by .020" to get the proper thread engagement but there is still the possibility of stripping when steel goes into aluminum, either from a bad tap, a shallow counterbore, a short screw, or a heavy hand. Human to human, I apologize for the error. Please send it back and we'll be sure to replace/repair it so you may enjoy the purchase, you shouldn't have to settle for a sub-par knife.
On a quality level, with every new design there are anticipated obstacles and ones that show during production/assembly (and occasionally in the customers hands). We are constantly trying to improve the design and process so we have less opportunity to commit said errors but there is always the human element. In this case, it was my error.

That was my first thought too. I have a S30V blade from an LT 112 that I could have used, but I thought I remembered reading that they weren’t compatible. I’m sure going to be kicking myself if it turns out to be a simple swap!
Both the 110 and 112 bolt together (recent ones) are designed to accept the standard, slim, and droppoint blades. It would require removing the bushing. There's a nice thread of a damascus blade put into the 110 BCCI knife with ironwood scales/inlays. Also, the pocket clip on the 110 slim carbon fiber is compatible with both the 110 and 112 with some minor rearranging of the screws (flipping them around).

Thats never good news to hear. I am the one that assembled the rear sub assembly (and the one that designed it) I did not use an electric driver. 2020 has hit our company as well but the show must go on. I do apologize for the stripped screw in the handle I had to thicken the wall by .020" to get the proper thread engagement but there is still the possibility of stripping when steel goes into aluminum, either from a bad tap, a shallow counterbore, a short screw, or a heavy hand. Human to human, I apologize for the error. Please send it back and we'll be sure to replace/repair it so you may enjoy the purchase, you shouldn't have to settle for a sub-par knife.
On a quality level, with every new design there are anticipated obstacles and ones that show during production/assembly (and occasionally in the customers hands). We are constantly trying to improve the design and process so we have less opportunity to commit said errors but there is always the human element. In this case, it was my error.
Frank, great response. Coming from the individual who actually had their hands on the product. Its nice to hear from the production side, about obstacles and goals of manufacturing.

Thanks for your response Frank.I've always assumed that such errors are caused by poor lighting,poor eyesight of perhaps moving too quickly.

The head of the torx screw is stripped not the threads on the shaft or the aluminum frame.As I stated,I was successful in removing all five of the other handle screws but the bit just spun inside of the head of the sixth screw.

I'll take some pictures in daylight tomorrow to illustrate the marks surrounding the screws that hold the rear sub assembly.I'll then contact you and decide the next course of action.

What a stand up company with stand up employees. This response is just one of the reasons I am such a Buck fan. Thanks for taking the time to respond and thank you for standing behind your work and fixing an issue when something slips through.

Both the 110 and 112 bolt together (recent ones) are designed to accept the standard, slim, and droppoint blades. It would require removing the bushing. There's a nice thread of a damascus blade put into the 110 BCCI knife with ironwood scales/inlays. Also, the pocket clip on the 110 slim carbon fiber is compatible with both the 110 and 112 with some minor rearranging of the screws (flipping them around).

Great to hear! I have a Smoke Jumper 110 with a CPM-154 blade here just waiting for the next release of a 110 with screw together construction. I hope the wait isn’t too long! :)

Checked the mail today and received my knife...all I have to say is WOW this knife is amazing!! Buck really out did themselves with this one..I’d Like to see a variety of scales to mix and match along with blades. This one is going in the vault as it’s the very first 112...

dang it...wish I would have bought two

Frank,
Thank you for your ownership! You are what what makes Buck the company that it is, every single time that I have had a question, issue, anything...the folks at Buck step up to the plate and do the right thing even when they are not wrong. Buck Knives is a class act!!

Thank you

so why was bcci not able to make this happen?
If I remember correctly last August the news said that Buck was dealing with sick employees and were pushing the build back . Then later the word was they were having trouble with the finish and anodizing wasn’t right. Some time after that it was announced it wasn’t going to happen. It still shows on the bcci members only store but not available at this time. I’m guessing that with this unique model and the expertise required to build it coupled with shortage of personal and issues with the finish it was put on the back burner till someone capable could revive it. Maybe this run is a test run to find out what kind of interest could be expected and the feedback. Just guessing.

The TA-112 sold out in a couple of hours..But that in itself is not unusual for a BOTM. It's all over Facebook with a lots of pictures and everybody REALLY likes it and I think the whole concept of it. I was impressed by how if felt in hand when I held mine yesterday. It's substantial and hand filling but still light! I have not held or handled a aluminum frame 110 yet but I imagine it has much the same feel. I think a lot of new owners will never actually take it apart but love that they can do it if they want to. The fact that you can change the 'look' and not just put a different type blade like the Selector appeals to guys similar to why the modular AR -15 is so successful. I think it's the same with the incredible Dan Wesson revolver pistol pack. I had one and loved the fact I could put on different style grips ( including a wood block you could carve into a total customized handle to fit you) change the front sights and put on barrel lengths from a 2" subnose to a 15" long barrel with different styles of shrouds including vented or heavy types. Guys love options! Buck really has something in this concept if they only run with it. It would NOT be a major commitment to further test the concept..The hard part is now done with this new type of frame. All Buck has to do is offer extra blades and a few basic choices of handles to 'test the water' and sit back and see if they sell. Or even better do a run of 500 or 1,000 to get more out in the market maybe Copper and Clad would beta test the concept.
The profit potential is huge! The cost of manufacturing a blade or a replacement handle is low compared to a complete knife and I absolutely think from just a collector standpoint it creates a real buzz and intrest in collecting this new type of Buck knife AND ACCESSORIES!!!

i would love to be able to buy different blades for my 722 pro. mix and match scales and different back spacers. the options are there.

Back