1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Jungle Boots

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by Will P., Jan 18, 2005.

1. Will P.

Will P.

Mar 26, 2004
    Looking for a source for comfortable, quality, and reletively affordable Jungle Boots. SOP here mandates all-black boots.

2. edgetrip

edgetrip

Aug 10, 2004
    Check out Bates, haven't owned them but are supposed to be good and reasonably priced.

3. Point44

Point44

Jan 15, 2003
    What about stuff from www.cavpro.com?

I haven't heard much about cavpro on bladeforums but they seem to have a lot of official issue stuff.

4. tortoise

tortoise

Jul 1, 2000
    http://www.altama.com/home.aspx

I couldn't recommend them more highly. In certain environments and circumstances nothing will outdo a jungle boot.

When I needed a couple of pairs, I went with Altama and I absolutely love them. Miles and miles, cross-country, wading, stream-crossing, even swimming and a few squish-squish steps later they were all but dry. -This while the other guys in heavier boots (like I wear now that I'm less likely to be guaranteed wet conditions) would be drenched for the rest of the hump.

5. Midget

Midget Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2002
    danner danner danner!!!

danner.com

6. JRC

JRC

Apr 25, 2001
    Wellco I don't own Jungle boots, but I've heard good things about Wellco boots.

7. Buddy S.

Buddy S.

May 27, 2004
    I own a pair of Bates and a pair of Danners Ft Lewis boots.Both are Excellent choices,but the Danners are more comfortable

8. MelancholyMutt

MelancholyMutt Doggy Style

Apr 13, 2002
    yeah, all black, but is it Army SOP or USMA SOP? Last I checked, US ARMY SOP did not allow fabric sided boots unless you were actually stationed in the tropics and your CO allowed it.

9. Will P.

Will P.

Mar 26, 2004
    USMA SOP is that jungle boots have to be solid black. I wouldn't normally be allowd them, but I am doing a sporting event that requires them.

10. Phalanx7.62

Phalanx7.62

Nov 19, 2003
    I have worn different types of Bates, and they all work great for the money.

11. Don Rac

Don Rac

Oct 3, 2001
    I know I'm in the minority, but I went to a surplus store and got a pair of Rothco boots for ~$20. The same kind of boots did one of the Sgt. I know well when he was in Iraq with no problem.

I heard that the ACU type shiet will be out around Feb./Mar. so you won't be spending too much time in the cheapies anyway until you'd have to get the new stuff.

:)

12. m1marty

m1marty

Sep 5, 2004
    Altama. This is my fourth set. Who are you going to trust Will? Me, or these civilians? ;) :p :D
    Yes, I know these are green, but they make the same pair in black as well.
    Check em out.

Attached Files:

13. Will P.

Will P.

Mar 26, 2004
    Civvie! Quitter! :rolleyes: :D

USMA won't catch up to the uniform changes for years. Besides, they like having us polish boots.

Actually, I wear boots on leave anyways. Very comfortable, and makes me feel badass. ;)
    Trust me, I need the help.

14. m1marty

m1marty

Sep 5, 2004
    PLEBE! NASTY!
    I am still in until Feb 07 in the IRR. So even with just "stand by" time, I have more time in the Army than you. Heck, I've got more time digging cat holes in the field, than you do in the Army. Once you finish "Camp Army" THEN you can start slinging the term "civvie" around. Nah Nah! :p :D
    Yes, you do need help. Now buy some Altamas you little nasty. ;) :D

15. MelancholyMutt

Apr 13, 2002
    the trick isn't really the brand of boot... it's in the insole... if you get the boots with the "gumsoles" aka the panama sole and a very good pair of very thick rubbery insoles.

16. Don Rac

Don Rac

Oct 3, 2001
    Shining up yer boots is "character building".......... :rolleyes:
    :D

17. MelancholyMutt

Apr 13, 2002
    Nothing says "that's one squared away troop" like a sharp pair of spit shined boots!

18. m1marty

m1marty

Sep 5, 2004
    Nothing says "Garrison Toad" like a sharp pair of spit shined boots either! :D
    One set of jump boots were always kept highly shined for parades or what not, but we spent so much time in the field or deployed, it was a moot point.

19. hawkpatriot

hawkpatriot

Jul 20, 2004
    Altama. I've had a pair since the summer and I've used them for hiking, wading streams, and mowing lawns and stuff. They are great, they dry out in minutes after getting wet and they are very durable. The construction is great and the soles wont get sliced or cut up by sharp rocks. I have the version without the spike plate and padded collar, it's a lower priced version but still great boots. I highly recommend Altama jungle boots.

20. Don Rac

Don Rac

Oct 3, 2001
    Nothing bad about looking good when not in the field, just be sure you're able to put your money where your mouth is when you are. :D

Don't forget the other important things about foot care. Neglect great insoles and socks, and regardless of what kind of boot you've got your feet will be ground down into a bloody mush. Learning the hard way, makes sure you don't get lazy or forget something.....EVER. :eek: