1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Jungle Knife by Sher

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Horn Dog, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Horn Dog

Horn Dog

Sep 9, 2005
    I got my new Jungle Knife today. It came with a nice buffalo hide sheath that is welted and seems to be well made. The knife weighs 17 oz, is 1/4" thick at the spine and has a full flat forged grind. The blade is 11.5" long, the handle 5", with an overall length of 16.5". The knife balances about 3" in front of the scales.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The handle is supposed to be Satisal wood, but looks more like buffalo horn to me. It is checkered and quite comfortable. It is riveted to a full tang.
    [​IMG]
    The blade has a near zero flat grind that tapers to a thin edge. The flats of the blade were left in the rough.
    [​IMG]
    The knife chops very, very well, much like my BRKT golok. It bites deep with that thin edge. Unfortunately, I chipped it in the sweet spot. Either it was just too thin there or possibly an inclusion was present in the steel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I continued chopping on through the limb. This thing chops with such ease.
    [​IMG]
    Then I did some palmetto slashing, what a jungle knife is made for, and it did very well.
    [​IMG]
    I took a look at the chip in the edge and decided to grind it out on my belt grinder, being careful not to overheat the blade.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Horn Dog

Horn Dog

Sep 9, 2005
    Back from my regrind, the blade now has a convex final edge, just a bit thicker than the original grind (that's a switch for me).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I chopped on through the same piece of wood again, this time with no damage at all to the edge. It still chops great.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then I slashed a palmetto leaf. Look at how clean the cut is. This knife is made for such work.
    [​IMG]
    I pronounce the Jungle Knife "Good to go". :D:thumbup:
    [​IMG]

3. DannyinJapan

DannyinJapan

Oct 9, 2003
    pics with rifle please..

4. BarberFobic1992

BarberFobic1992

Jan 21, 2008
    Gread write up horn dog :thumbup: you work wonders with that sander.

5. Eight Trigrams

Eight Trigrams

Sep 10, 2006
    That sucks about the chip. Being belt-sanderless, something like that would peeve me off to no end. But it looks like it really performs well on both soft and hard plant material. Seems like a nice design. :thumbsup:

6. Horn Dog

Horn Dog

Sep 9, 2005
    This knife has great balance and feel. It is light in the hand and fast. It chops hard bay wood with ease, and works very well as a short machete. My boonie hat is off to Kami Sher. This is a real working knife, for sure. As for the chip in the edge, I have done it to more expensive blades on occasion. It seems to be plenty strong now. That's why I have a Kalamazoo grinder. :D

7. topgun0728

topgun0728

May 15, 2009
    Nice work!

8. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Excellent write up:) Thanks for the great pics, and good job modding the knife:thumbup:

9. Horn Dog

Horn Dog

Sep 9, 2005
    Thanks, SG. This knife came nice and sharp, but the edge was quite thin, probably ground more for slashing light vegetation than chopping hardwood. With the new profile, it can do both with ease. This is one of those knives that works better than it looks. It looks rough and crude next to my Chitlangi, but I still like the Jungle knife for what it is, a great beater and all-around camp/jungle knife.

10. OldPhysics

OldPhysics

Sep 2, 2006
    HD, all you need now is a little more jungle.:)

Looks like a solid chopper to me.:thumbup:

11. tedwca

tedwca

Dec 10, 2005
    Thanks for the great write up Vic. You da man for reviews.:thumbup:

12. Wovoka

Wovoka

Nov 14, 2008
    Great review and pics. That is one serious tool.

13. Carolina River Rat

Carolina River Rat

Oct 29, 2008
    Great review, HD. I really want one of those.

14. DannyinJapan

DannyinJapan

Oct 9, 2003
    The checkering reminds me of some War-time issue knife, maybe British, I don't know. It looks like it belongs on a canvas belt, little brother to a Garand.

15. Horn Dog

Horn Dog

Sep 9, 2005
    There were all kinds of theater-made bolos and choppers used in WWII. Some cutlasses were even used in the Pacific. I would imagine Merrill's Marauders would have found such a jungle knife useful in Burma.

16. valcas1

valcas1

Feb 25, 2007
    Very nice blade...

17. b.c.molin

b.c.molin

Nov 28, 2008
    HD, your skills with a belt sander and camera are matched by your eloquent and straight talking reviews. :thumbup:

But your ability to find a chip or worse in a blade, no matter who is the manufacturer, exceeds all your other qualities. :p :D

18. Horn Dog

Horn Dog

Sep 9, 2005
    I have chipped very few considering how many knives I have reviewed. But yes, I admit to finding weaknesses in knives on occasion. I don't know if it is a gift or a curse.

19. Yangdu

Yangdu [email protected] Himalayan Imports-Owner Moderator

Apr 5, 2005
    Nice review and pictures, thank you

20. rpn

rpn

Mar 17, 2008
    That was quick! Seems like you just bought it! Nice photos and pics...as always

Just got a Battle Rat in the mail yesturday that you sharpened...Good Lord it's sharp enought to make the air bleed! It's incredible...