Just A Picture - Traditional Picture Show

T. Erdelyi, do you have a picture of the Canal Street Ring Turner open? Do the rings actually do anything or are they more like keychain rings?

26950734357_1e582f1889_b.jpg

Last edited:
I know nothing about this picture but I'm impressed with it so I had to share. I saved it off the internet from who-knows-where. All I know is that the file name suggests they might all be Schrades.

Beautiful display case; I would imagine it is homemade. Unique selection of pocketknives; love seeing what people collect. All of them pristine and care taken into each one.

VfRddp8.jpg

It's a cool collection of Schrades and a wonderful display but....leaving the knives a quarter open like that is not a good idea :eek:

Last edited:
T. Erdelyi, do you have a picture of the Canal Street Ring Turner open? Do the rings actually do anything or are they more like keychain rings?

Here's a few other pics of the CSC.

kbohATI.jpg

xuLB0Oc.jpg

dUKxPYN.jpg

The rings open the knife, many ring turners don't even have nail nicks, I have examples of both. The rings on the CSC knife are fairly small making it difficult for some to open it but most are big enough to easily leverage open the blades with relative ease.

That's really cool. Never seen one of those. Learn something new every day.

It's a cool collection of Schrades and a wonderful display but....leaving the knives a quarter open like that is not a good idea :eek:

WHAT?!?!? I was told in this thread it was ok to do that. I asked because I didn't want to ruin my pocketknives long-term. Is it not true? http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1472458-Display-Case

The rings open the knife, many ring turners don't even have nail nicks, I have examples of both. The rings on the CSC knife are fairly small making it difficult for some to open it but most are big enough to easily leverage open the blades with relative ease.

So the bolt attached to the ring is attached to the tang of the blade so when you turn the ring it opens the blade? That's pretty neat. Never seen it before.

TedderX

If the knife has a half stop then its ok in my opinion. At a quarter open..no...and even worse if two blades on the same spring. I can't offer any evidence as I don't store my knives open, but i would think it would weaken the spring and or lead to catastrophic failure. I imagine it has to do with how the spring was heat treated, tempered and steel type along with a few other things such a temperature variation,etc..

I would love to hear from the experts as to whether or not it is imprudent to store or display slipjoint knives with the blades in the quarter open position. Lets hear the scientific and empirical evidence for or against.

Edit: This may not be the best place to have this discussion and should the mods deem that to be the case I'm fine with having these post moved to a more appropriate sub forum or thread. I sure don't want to see a long discussion about it here but i am as curious as you

Last edited:
I'll repeat what Gevonovich stated about having two blades a quarter open on the same spring. Not just long term but personally I make a conscious effort not to do that at all. It puts stress on both ends of the spring and can lead to breakage of the spring.

I know this because it happened to one of my scout knives when I opened two implements on the same spring to take pictures of the knife. Snapped the spring right in half as soon as I opened the second implement. All I wanted to do was take a picture and then close the blades. It's not common but it can happen and when it does it's too late to prevent it. Long term or not, I strongly advise against stressing both ends of the spring for any length of time.

I have some photos that were taken before I learned this lesson. I humbly admit that I still sometimes forget this lesson myself.

The first pic is the way I used to pose my knives for photos. The spring for the Spey and Coping blades is stressed at both ends.

This is how I do it now. Each spring is stressed at only one end.

Good tip Rick. I have a two blade single spring knife that won't even allow both blades to be open at the same time. You could but only by breaking the spring.

kbohATI.jpg

xuLB0Oc.jpg

dUKxPYN.jpg

Very cool T. Not something I've seen before. Thanks 🤙

I'll repeat what Gevonovich stated about having two blades a quarter open on the same spring. Not just long term but personally I make a conscious effort not to do that at all. It puts stress on both ends of the spring and can lead to breakage of the spring.

I know this because it happened to one of my scout knives when I opened two implements on the same spring to take pictures of the knife. Snapped the spring right in half as soon as I opened the second implement. All I wanted to do was take a picture and then close the blades. It's not common but it can happen and when it does it's too late to prevent it. Long term or not, I strongly advise against stressing both ends of the spring for any length of time.

I have some photos that were taken before I learned this lesson. I humbly admit that I still sometimes forget this lesson myself.

The first pic is the way I used to pose my knives for photos. The spring for the Spey and Coping blades is stressed at both ends.

This is how I do it now. Each spring is stressed at only one end.

Good advice Rick 🤙 I will not do this, I promise!

Alan ::: Each one of those Autumn Golds look nice and they look very nice together Alan . The colors all are pretty evenly matched as well . I am glad you were able to get the 77 to go with the other 2 my friend .

Harry

Back