Just finished this one with a Ostrich leg bone handle(pic)

Well as I said this one has a 4 1/4 inch stabilized Ostrich leg bone handle (one piece)
The blade is 5 inches of a san-mai construction, which is gear drive chain with a 5160 center.
It has a nickel silver guard and buttcap.
Please let me know what you think of this and
Thanks,
Bruce
View

View

View

View

------------------
Bruce Evans Handcrafted Knives
The soul of the Knife begins in the Fire!!!!!
Member of,AKTI#A000223 and The American Bladesmith Society
asmallpicofbruceforforums.jpg

[This message has been edited by beknives (edited 06-21-2001).]

Bruce -

Looks great, as usual! You make it look too easy.

Where did you get the Ostrich leg bone? It probably would have been one hell of a drumstick to Bar-B-Que.

But seriously, I'm going to make a Gladius from an Atlanta Cutlery Quama. I'll be looking for a nice piece of bone.

------------------
Glen AKA Centaur
"It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."
- J. R. R. Tolkein

Hi Bruce,

Sweet knife you've made there. I like it.

Personally I think it might look better with a bit more color. Say a fire blued iron guard. But it looks good the way it is.

Another thing is, the really cool part of having a san mai blade is flaunting it. The more obvious the center steel is the better. I'm not a smith and don't know what this invloves, maybe O-1 or L-6 center for contrast.

How did you get your name on like that? That looks neat.

[This message has been edited by tallwingedgoat (edited 06-21-2001).]

Bruce man! You allways seem to come up with some killer knives! Great looking blade dude!
You ccan also tell he ain't one of those CNCer's or "let a machine make my knives" kinda guy. Look at those fingers!
biggrin.gif

Looks awesome Bruce!!!
biggrin.gif

No, I didn't expect anything less!

I love the colors, very clean, simple elegance!

How was the bone to work with? I hear it's similar to Giraffe. I work Giraffe like Ivory and the like...slow, careful, sharp bits/belts, touch it to the lips (if I say ouch it's too hot
wink.gif
).

Where did you pick that bone up? I know they don't have that in the pet section of Wally-world!

How much of a hollow in it? I know it's one of the only bird bones with high density.

Awesome lines and great colors...it's a winner Bruce!
biggrin.gif

Nick

On the contrary, I think it works better with the lighter colors in the guard and buttcap--look the knife over from end to end, starting with the tip of the blade. What do you see? A gradual transition from a dark to a light theme, which is continued by the guard and haft. If the guard is dark, it goes dark/light/dark/lightest. This way it's a fairly smooth process darkest/dark/light/lightest.

The pattern is VERY cool, and it's just a very graceful knife in general. Even the filework looks more elongated and graceful than I'm used to. Beautiful work, Bruce.

How DO you put your name on a shield like that? Do you just polish that part to a high gloss and then shield it from the etchant that brings out the pattern in the rest? That's the simplest method I can think of.

Thanks for all the kind words everybody.
Nick the bone work really nice,it was allot like giraffe bone.The bone is very dense and a little on the heavey side.The center of the bone was only hollow about a 1/4 inch all the way through with a taper from a smaller hole to a bigger hole and the average was the 1/4 inch.
I picked the bone up from a friend that has a exotix game ranch and had decided to try raising some Ostriches and two of the three that he had killed the other one,so I got the bones to try.I hope I can run up on some more.
Now as to the shield with my name,Just resist it with fingernail polish before you etch the blade and if you want a contrast in the shield as I have here with the starburst behind it all you have to do is resist the shield and start the etch and about half way through the etch rise off the blade and dry it and then resist over the name again but in a different pattern and then go back and finish out the etch and you will end up with a two dimensional shield.
No I don't use the big machines just my eye's and Hands to build my knives.My wife doesn't really like the ruff hands but that is what happens when you stay in the shop to much.
Again Thanks for the kind words,
Bruce

------------------

Bruce.. Beautiful work. Thats what all us novices dream of accomplishing one day.
A quick question for you. Do you know if Rhea bone can be worked the same way. They are very similar to an ostrich in appearance.
The reason I ask is there are two Rhea farms in my area that sell meat for fancy restaurants.
Jim Ziegler

Jim,To be honest with you I don't really know.A friend of mine got some Emue the other day and we are going to see what it is like.You might go by and ask if they have any of the leg bones and see it you could get one.Just look at it and see if the wals of the bone will be strong enough and if the size will make a handle and if this is all fine then get one and cure it and try it out and let use know what it is like.'Good Luck,
Bruce

------------------

Bruce, you turn out stunning knives so fast it's hard to really get a grasp on just how nice they really are. This one, as usual is perfect.

this is great but do you really need to make this same post in several forums on bfc? i see this same post in custom and general forums and strikes me more as advertising
frown.gif

justknives -- As it happens, many forumites and lurkers limit their reading to just one or two forums.

Bruce contributes in a very heavy way to this, the custom knives forum, and probably others. Few of his peers give the time, or attention, to the forums that Bruce gives. His website has tutorials to try to help less experienced makers. We often read how he has directly, and indirectly, assisted other makers. I can see by the number of your posts just how much you contribute here.

If you had the hair to provide your e-mail address, I'd have communicated that way. But since you don't this is what happens.

Why don't you do your trolling somewhere else? This is the most friendly, helpful forum of the lot, IMO. Your post is the first crappy, nasty one I've ever read here. I want it and mine to be the last. Go away!

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

Bruce -- got so pissed at the nasty post by the troll, completely forgot to say what I nice knife I think this is! It's more delicate than most of your knives, and really exhibits how wide your range is.

I was surprised that any bird bone would be solid enough for handle use. Am very interested to hear how the emu bone experiment goes. A few years ago, up in this neck of the woods, emu farming seemed like it was going to become big business. But, have never seen any meat in meat departments, nor heard of any in restaurants. (For sure never at Burger King or Taco Bell!) Maybe I don't frequent the hoity-toity type places enough.

Anyhow, would think it possible that there might be a whole bunch of emu legs either walking or lying around the country. Would prefer to see those birds going down than giraffes.

Back where I started, great knife! Thanks for sharing. Ignore the troll!

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

VERY FINE LOOKING KNIFE, BRUCE. TO ME IT SAYS SIMPLE AND ELEGANCE, AT THE SAME TIME, WITH JUST ENOUGH FILEWORK TO DRAW ATTENTION.
YOU MAKE A GREAT LOOKING KNIFE.
KEN (WWJD)

------------------
KandS KNIVES

bugs,

If I wanted anything from you I would ask you! I just hate seeing people take advantage of something that it wasn't intended for. If he has knives for sale the for sale by maker forum is where it should go. I can't see the purpose of this thread with pics here in the shop forum and custom and general and however many else he posted it on
tongue.gif

And i didn't add my email address just because of dinks like you who seems to be another self appointed expert. I get enough junk email as it is
biggrin.gif
and how does how many post I have made tell you anything but that I don't post every 5 minutes just to practice my typing? 4 large pics not cropped to just show the knife in 3+ forums uses how much bandwidth and space Mr. Knowitall? Troll this (_|_)
Also, if you bother to check I believe Gus K in custom mentioned this same kind of thing.

[This message has been edited by justknives (edited 06-21-2001).]

Edited because I sounded like a jerk.

I feel I should apologize for overreacting. I spend most of my time at a large forum where I'm a moderator and thus no longer allowed such little tantrums. It was nice to stretch out and flame a little, but not really fair to Justknives. Reading it again it looks like I'm telling him he's not welcome here, which is certainly not my decision to make.

[This message has been edited by Gwinnydapooh (edited 06-22-2001).]

OK GUYS that is enough of the bickering here on my post,Thanks Bugs,and Gwinney the pooh for sticking up for me here,but we also don't need any more bad blood between us forumites either.
Lets see if I can explain my reasoning for posting on the different forums here without sounding nasty or anything.
When i first started posting on the forums here I only stayed on the shop talk forum,and would only post one or two pictures for people to see.Then I started having people tell me that I should show them on the other forums as the people on them would also like to see my work that don't come over to shop talk but only stay on one of the other forums.I thought that that would make me look like I was pushing my knives.so I started posting on the other forums also but never said that the knives were for sale or not unless it was a order from a forumite and they wanted others to know that it was theirs,this way I was just showing my work,I do post on the for sale by maker forum also and in 2 years I havent had the first hint of a sale from that forum.As for putting a price or if it is for sale I usually only do this when asked on a reply.I do sell allot of my knives to fellow forumites but they are usually custom orders and not showen untill completed.
I like to show the things that I make and the new stuff that I do on my knives in hopes that I can inspire or help out another knifemaker with a idea that they have or are wanting to try.I do not have allot of money to keep up my website (even though it is a free site they are now going to charge for it)and then Photo point is going to charge me for there albums so I can't keep a bunch of pictures on there and only post a couple of pictures and then link to the rest.As the post fades away the pictures will be taken off and only a couple will be sen on my website from then on.SO the bandwith that i am using wont be taken up for long.
I will try to help anybody out that I can wether here on the forums or by email or even those that come to my shop and I never charge anybody for my help.
This is the first time in 2 years that anybody has accused me of pushing myself on the forums and I have never had anybody say that I had to many pictures on my posts.So I guess that I was due someone to give me a hard time about it.
So as nicely as I can say this I will say that until the moderatores or the owner of the forums tells me not to post the way that I have been posting I will keep on posting this way and keep helping others out as much as I can.Yes I am a buisness man and I do sell on the forums but just so you will know I have not recieved a order in 2 months now going on 3 months and I am at a stand still to why but untill now nobody had heard a word about it from me or any real pushing of the knives that I do have for sale (which I could have done,like I have seen others do before)But these parts of the forums are for showing off new creations and helping each other out not fussing at each other.By my showing my knives on the different forums I get feed back from different makers and collecters alike on things that I should or should not do on my knives and have helped me to become a better maker.
So like I said I willkeep posting like I do until asked by the higher powers to do otherwise,and as long as I have different people on the different forums replying I will keep them on the different forums.Blade forums are not the only forums that you will see my name either as I frequent three of them and sometimes four,as there are different people on all of them and I consider them all to be friends.So I am here to stay and thats that,If you see my posts on the other forums and they are the same post that you have already seen then just pass it by you don't have to look at it and that way you won't be bothered by it,it is just that simple,don't click on my post and you wont see a bunch of pictures or read different posts from different people that ask different questions and I answer them all the best I can so others may be able to learn a new trick or two just klike I have from other posts over the last 2 years.
Sorry I was long winded here.If others feel like JUST KNIVES please let me know,If not please let me know so I will know if my posts are not wanted here anymore.
Bruce

------------------

[This message has been edited by beknives (edited 06-21-2001).]

Bruce -

No need to explain yourself, at least in my eyes. You are one of the best contibutors to this forum. Your website is full of GREAT tutorials. Don't let one Troll tell you otherwise.

It never ceases to amaze me when some malcontent spouts off some verbal excrement on a web forum. The only way that they are able to do this is due to the anonyminity that the net allows. Justknives is no more than a pathetic coward lurking in cyberspace. He, She, or it knows very well that to pull this crap in person would more than likely result in a mouth full of loose teeth and a set of split lips.

IMHO.

(Off my soap box now) Keep up the geat work! I look forward to seeing your next work of art!

------------------
Glen AKA Centaur
"It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."
- J. R. R. Tolkein

Back