Just once

ron finkbeiner jr

Gold Member
I would like to ask just once if Coldsteel would do a limited edition Voyager with G10 and 154cm steel. I would buy it, how bout everybody else? Shiney clip point and tanto in the old school style of yesteryear.

I tend to stray from cold steel. More of a low end company and I'd rather go for the big names. Of course there are exceptions.

I was with you until the old school part. I'm quite fond of the new style Voyagers. I like the ergonomics, the Tri-Ad, and I like having an adjustable pivot. I'd go for a limited edition new style in G10/154 for sure. :thumbup:

There are no plans that I know of to do limited runs with different steels - but as one of my colleagues is fond of saying "you never know what the future may bring" :)

I tend to stray from cold steel. More of a low end company and I'd rather go for the big names. Of course there are exceptions.

Just because they have some "low end" items along with there many high end products doesn't mean they are a low end company.

Uh huh I'll stick to knives that put their name on their products because they aren't ashamed. Haha. But seriously cold steel just sells bad metal with a handle. Yes they have high priced items but the name isn't worth what they're charging. You'll have better experiences from custom knifemakers and big brands.

Uh huh I'll stick to knives that put their name on their products because they aren't ashamed. Haha. But seriously cold steel just sells bad metal with a handle. Yes they have high priced items but the name isn't worth what they're charging. You'll have better experiences from custom knifemakers and big brands.

I haven't had any bad experience with any of my Cold Steel products. AUS-8 may not be a supersteel, but it's hardly a "bad metal" either. BTW, you may not like them personally, but Cold Steel is one of the "biggest brands" in the industry, so not sure why you're acting like they're some indie company or something?

Cold Steel doesn't put their name on their products?
What, are you buying fakes from China? Cold Steel proudly puts their name on their products.

If you don't like their products, you don't have to buy them, deride them or post/read the CS forum.

You sound like a knife snob that spends 4 bills on a Sebenza and never takes it out of the case. Or perhaps you're just a troll.

SM3, VG-1 are "bad metal"?

And AUS-8 is considered to be a very favorable metal for knives, especially folders.

CS puts their knives thru torture tests that most other knife-makers won't because they can't and they make those vids public and use them as a marketing tool to show how "bad" their metal is.

And all this coming from a guy who says he carries a $20.00 POS CRKT as his EDC?

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...re-you-carrying-today?p=12780934#post12780934

Did you buy it from the BUDK catalog?

Last edited:
aus-8 is a cheap, tough steel with decent edge retention and rust resistance, I have used my lawmen plenty (as a work knife) and have never had issues with the steel. though watch out for some crappy finish's that can cause rust issues on some of their knives(spartan. rajah 2, ect)

No they do not put their name on ALL of their products. Primarily their machetes. However their "high end" knives are not terrible I would carry one but for similar prices you can get better knives, steels and brands. BTW that CRKT is simply on my rotation. Not my primary choice for survival.

No they do not put their name on ALL of their products. Primarily their machetes. However their "high end" knives are not terrible I would carry one but for similar prices you can get better knives, steels and brands. BTW that CRKT is simply on my rotation. Not my primary choice for survival.

Yeah, like that chintzy CRKT you carry. Go troll elsewhere.

Not trolling. I stated my opinion, you guys attempted to prove me wrong on an opinionated argument and failed (keeping in mind there is no true answer). My OPINION remains.

Not trolling. I stated my opinion, you guys attempted to prove me wrong on an opinionated argument and failed (keeping in mind there is no true answer). My OPINION remains.
No need to be a jerk with your opinions bud.
anyways I would love a voyager With 154 cm blade or some kind of other fancy steel they have now a days.

You said Cold Steel is "ashamed" to put their names on their products. That's utterly false.
You said Cold Steel cold steel "just sells bad metal with a handle." on their knives. Again, utterly false.
You also inferred that Cold Steel isn't a "big brand" Again, utterly false.

And as much as you are attempting to backpedal, those aren't opinions, those are false statements based either on bias or ignorance. Or both.

The Tri-Ad lock on their lock-backs are one of the strongest and one of the best if not the strongest and the best in the industry. But you state that they "just sell bad metal with a handle"

BTW, SOG, Benchmade, Spyderco and others use AUS-8 extensively in their product line as well, and many of their knives are expensive compared to comparable CS knives.
Are those companies "just selling bad metal with a handle" as well?

As I said earlier, you have a lower-tier knife in your EDC "rotation" and you come here and deride Cold Steel?
What other BUDK catalog items are in your EDC "rotation"?

There are also forum rules against disparaging a forum sponsor.
What you are engaging in is the epitome of trolling.

Well said brother^

Back on topic I am hopefull now that cold steel is playing with CPM 3V in the warcraft line we see that steel transition over to the folder side. Costwise I don't see it being a big enough cost increase to cry about. They did well with the Warcraft Tanto and I am excited to see the Warcraft lineup expand.

Its a great steel , with more toughness and abrasion resistance than AUS8A IMO.

O1 and 3v are low end... Hmm that's a new one.

I don't have a problem with someone stating their dislike for whatever, but it's better to do it in the General Forum. Manufacturers forums are better served by members who appreciate the products and don't post inflammatory comments that may be interpreted as damaging to the company. At least that's my take on it.

Unless you want to be perceived as a troll you're better off taking negative thoughts to a place that isn't populated by fervent fans of the product. ;)

As for CS quality, I've never been let down, and some of their designs are my favorites.

Oh, I forgot to address the original post. :D

I'd buy 2 tuff lites if they did them in a high end steel and/or g10. Seriously, I've considered having a custom maker make a similar design in different materials. One guy did exactly that and his knife is gorgeous.

I'd take mine in natural g10 and m390. Make one scale a titanium frame lock and I'd have my grail.

The Voyager is a great platform for high(er) end materials. ;)

Last edited:
Back