Just one first aid item. What's yours?

If you have space in your pockets for only one piece of first aid EDC item, what would it be?

As for myself, I like the Micropore surgical tape, it is small (I flatten it), handy and versatile:

71ue1XN32RL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

It sticks really well to almost anything and for a long time. It is not better than band aids, but it will do well. Some band aids wont stick at all after applying them and I will still have to wrap the area over with this.
And it can be used as a duct tape substitute for all kinds of things.

What is your single favorite first aid item?

I keep band aids and lip balm in my bag, Israeli bandage, regular bandage, anti septic cream and sun screen in the car.

For everybody who carries tourniquets and even Israeli bandages, my hat is off to you, it takes dedication, esp. with something like a CAT. And it's probably the one item that will, for sure, 100% save a life.
IMG-0510.jpg
IMG-0511.jpg

Left over from the days when my offspring were children, I carry a couple of Band-Aids. I carry 1"-wide fabric ones, as they are somewhat more robust.
That's not all I carry. But you said, "one item".

Snakebite bandage. Most likely of use, and pretty adaptable for the other situations that are serious. Keeping in mind geographical location, if I was not in Oz, it would likely be something different.

According to some internet posts this type of stuff is not recommended any more?
You have to know what you are doing. You are in essence making a choice for all the medical staff who treat that person afterwards. The problem was folks using it for "minor" wounds which would have taken just a couple of stitches, in urban areas where they would have been able to see a doc quite quickly. If you are getting all your training off the internet, then yeah, probably don't use it, but its still taught in major bleed, and wilderness first aid courses, anything where you as the first responder are actually thinking about time-to-hospital.

This thread has prompted me to go through our FAKs and check them out for expired stuff. E.g. dried up sterile wipes, plasters that have lost their adhesive, etc. I think many of us forget to refresh them every so often, and only open them up in an emergency, and expect everything to be in prime condition 😁

So thanks OP for that!

Although everyone's risk analysis might be different, for me the most common issues involve small cuts with high risks of infection.

Since I'm taking the OP as a hypothetical, many FA items can be crafted from torn clothes and sticks/branches, and fire and water might be considered separate from FA, I'd say something to disinfect would be my choice. That being said, I carry a couple alcohol wipes and bandaids in my EDC belt pouch. With the hand sanatizing gel now becoming part of normal everyday items, the alcohol wipes might not be as important, and I don't have to worry as much about replacing them when they dry up.

Although I haven't test it, has anyone seen if the 70%+ sanatizing gel can also be used to help make a fire? I heard there was an issue with fires when some people stored them in their glove compartment.

Although everyone's risk analysis might be different, for me the most common issues involve small cuts with high risks of infection.

Since I'm taking the OP as a hypothetical, many FA items can be crafted from torn clothes and sticks/branches, and fire and water might be considered separate from FA, I'd say something to disinfect would be my choice. That being said, I carry a couple alcohol wipes and bandaids in my EDC belt pouch. With the hand sanatizing gel now becoming part of normal everyday items, the alcohol wipes might not be as important, and I don't have to worry as much about replacing them when they dry up.

Although I haven't test it, has anyone seen if the 70%+ sanatizing gel can also be used to help make a fire? I heard there was an issue with fires when some people stored them in their glove compartment.

I like where this is going, I might start carrying high ABV booze in a flask. Everything that's old is new again.

Back