Just some Gun and Knife Combo pictures...

Off to Gadgets & Gear. This is not W&SS subject matter.

rugerknife.jpg

Tim Zowatta 3" damascus..

Only pic I have right now..:cool:

Last edited:
I had posted these in the Buck forum a while back, which explains why they are all Buck knives.

Kimber .45 and 110 CS with BG 42, oak, and nickel.

261cjnq.jpg

Springfield XD Tactical 9mm and 100 Year Anniversary 110

28ajgc2.jpg

S&W Model 15 .38 and 2 line 110

2jadora.jpg

Ruger New Vaquero .357 and Elk 118

2qn4bwi.jpg

Ruger Single Six .22 and 2 dot 112

adf6t0.jpg

S&W 3" .44 magnum and Hatchet

bdp34k.jpg

S&W 637 .38 and 500 Duke

2dgkn0g.jpg

Nice. I have that hatchet..:cool:

Great pics, my knife&gun pics pale in comparison. Maybe need to take better ones and come back.

The gun-and-knife picture is actually very difficult to do well. At the risk of being brutally-honest, I'm not liking most of those in this thread. There are Four problems:

1) Overcoming the gun. Guns are just such strong visual elements that they tend to dominate.

2) Lighting. Guns and knives very often -- not always -- have different lighting needs.

3) Proportions. While not always true, guns are often much larger than knives. A small pocket knife next to a long gun won't read well at all.

4) Cohesion. What I so often see in gun-knife pictures is, "Look, look! I've got this neat knife and this cool gun and I'm too cheap to take separate pictures of them." When the gun and the knife have a connection, maybe common materials as inserts on the knife and gun handles, then it can work. But, all to often, the picture will appear to just be a random -- albeit cool -- gun and a random -- albeit cool -- knife with no relationship to each other at all.

Ruger SP101 3" .357 & Spyderco Szabofly, taken on my phone (need a new camera).

Last edited:
Some recycled images from another couple of threads;)

Here's the duo on my hips today
DSC02146.jpg

Here are my pinko commie pistols that I would love to hate if I weren't so fascinated by history, and they didn't shoot so well (Yes, even the Nagant...even with .32 S&W). Special guest start by a Kershaw Ripcord:D
DSC02155.jpg

Here is the trifecta that I will probably need in about 13 years or so (shovel and bag of lime not pictured)
DSC02158.jpg

Why?...
Kelley_Brenna_1-1-1-1.jpg
:D

What hatchet is that..I like it..:cool:
It is from a local guy Claude LeBlanc, PM me and I'll give you the last contact info for him.

The gun-and-knife picture is actually very difficult to do well. At the risk of being brutally-honest, I'm not liking most of those in this thread. There are Four problems:

1) Overcoming the gun. Guns are just such strong visual elements that they tend to dominate.

2) Lighting. Guns and knives very often -- not always -- have different lighting needs.

3) Proportions. While not always true, guns are often much larger than knives. A small pocket knife next to a long gun won't read well at all.

4) Cohesion. What I so often see in gun-knife pictures is, "Look, look! I've got this neat knife and this cool gun and I'm too cheap to take separate pictures of them." When the gun and the knife have a connection, maybe common materials as inserts on the knife and gun handles, then it can work. But, all to often, the picture will appear to just be a random -- albeit cool -- gun and a random -- albeit cool -- knife with no relationship to each other at all.

Hopefully my crappy pics at least have cohesion, otherwise I have naught.

I was just about to say you're taking all the fun out of it...but Ted backs up a lot of what you say. I'm glad there are much better and more dedicated photographers...I'll just stick with random mediocrity :eek::D

ROCK6

Well, what the hell. Figured I'd do a few more while I'm waiting for linseed oil to saturate, leather to dry, glue to dry, and epoxy to cure.....

This is my old reliable savage 1917, with a nearly done WIP. It's a leuku pattern blade with a textured Wenge handle. Feels excellent, like a very finely jigged bone.

2010-03-25-0003.jpeg

2010-03-25-0005.jpeg

2010-03-25-0006.jpeg

And my around the 'stead EDC- French occupation era Mauser HSC with my shop knife and all the trimmings.

2010-03-25-0009.jpeg

Oh! And this one doesn't have a knife in it, though it has plenty of our leatherwork. This photo is for ROCK6's benefit.

the holster is a crossdraw full flap, and the pouch holds a thin emergency poncho, a couple plastic bags for game, a 50 round box of .22LR and the speedloader.

2010-03-25-0012.jpeg

I was just about to say you're taking all the fun out of it...but Ted backs up a lot of what you say. I'm glad there are much better and more dedicated photographers...I'll just stick with random mediocrity :eek::D

ROCK6

Ted has put up some excellent pictures. Notice that his are clearly knife pictures. He is able to make the gun "play second fiddle" -- which is not so easy to do. Notice, for example, that he often doesn't show the whole gun; this also solves the proportions problem. Notice also, how he is careful to, in some way, either match the gun to the knife or otherwise tie them together; this is just a few minutes of thinking. You are much more likely to get a good or even great picture if you will do a little thinking instead of just grabbing a gun and a knife and throwing them down and snapping a picture. Also remember as you do this thinking to think from your audience's perspective. Will something which, to you, ties the knife to the gun, be misssed by the audience because it is emotional and unique to you?

Ted's light is alway... always... perfect.

So, study the pictures he has put here and you can learn a lot... I sure have.

Back