K390 vs Maxamet

Planning on getting a Para 2 in one or the other. I'm really happy with my k390 Endura, so I was thinking maybe try Maxamet. But--I sharpen with the Sharpmaker. Will that still work on Maxamet or will it be frustrating to maintain with just that tool? Also how do they compare for corrosion resistance? Which is best for an EDC that sees mostly moderate use?

I have both knives in K390, I'm curious as well because I don't have a sharp maker but was considering it if it is capable on these super steels, or if a different rig would be better.

In my experience, K390 is a bit more corrosion resistant than Maxamet. I can't really help with your sharpening questions, though. I have a SharpMaker, but the only thing I use it for is serrations. K390 seems to be a bit more forgiving on my diamond hones.

Is the Bento Box exclusive still the only K390 PM2 available?

lieferung, I’ve been using the Sharpmaker brown rods to maintain my K390 Endura. It does really well, but I have not let the knife get dull, so I can’t speak to what it’s like to bring K390 back from that state on the SM. It’s just too much fun to keep it crazy sharp with brief regular touch ups.

Last edited:
First time commenting, so bear with me......
As far as corrosion resistance goes, I would say it’s about a horse a piece. Neither are stainless but they will resist corrosion to a certain degree, I have pm2’s in k390,10v and maxamet aswell. K390 is an exceptional steel, but so is maxamet. Maxamet will have more edge retention but k390 will likely be a hare tougher. For sharpening purposes you should be able to utilize your sharp maker, but it’s probably a good idea to pick up some diamond rods at some point, maxamet is less forgiving as far as the sharpening is concerned. I would not let it get too dull, but rather maintain it as it needs

I should mention, if you plan on doing any significant edge repair, or reprofiling to either k390 or maxamet, you will definitely want to use either Diamond or CBN abrasive. Even a fairly coarse ceramic will not every effective

Love the Sharpmaker! Wish they would sell it with choice of rod's..

Fine and extra fine.. Not for me.. might have been Great, when the Sharpmaker, came out.. When s30v was the super steel!

With the steel's out these days.. My Sharpmaker holds a pair of well worn diamond rods(for touchups and microbevels) and a newer set of CBN rods(for dull or reprofiling)..

Medium rod's.. will rarely get used..

PM2 Maxamet has surely shown it's abilities!(gifted to a friend, that USES it like a carnival knife!) Impresses me, what it cuts and what it can take..
Waiting for the Maxamet Sage 5, myself! (If that happens?)

Only have a Ladybug in K390(carried daily and still just touching up factory edge) and a Mule(haven't had a chance to make scales or carry, yet).. K390 Endela, in the mail and going to put it to work, soon!

I'm just venturing into Maxamet on a PM2 and so far it is remarkably keeping the same edge after a week's worth of use including cutting cardboard which can really dull most steels. I do use a SharpMaker for touch-ups but I also have a Gen3 Wicked Edge for the hard sharpening tasks including re-profiling when needed.

As an experiment I also ordered a set of diamond rods for my SharpMaker to for when my Maxamet PM2 needs some real work.

I have diamond, medium (brown), fine (white), and extra fine (white w/red). I rarely use either of the white rods. I find I can get extremely sharp edges with just the brown rods. I only use the SM for folders and my CRK Nyala. For my kitchen knives (which I use and sharpen a lot) I freeehand on Shapton Pro stones. It's fast and these are my work blades--don't care if they get scratches or the edges don't look perfect, as long as they are super sharp.

Is the Bento Box exclusive still the only K390 PM2 available?

I believe that is correct. There is another exclusive available on the used market in 10V- 10V being very similar to K390. However the 10V models typically are higher on the secondary market.

I believe that is correct. There is another exclusive available on the used market in 10V- 10V being very similar to K390. However the 10V models typically are higher on the secondary market.

The Bento Box K390 PM2 isn’t cheap either, but I’ll probably get it—haven’t owned a PM2 in years. Miss having one.

I don't have any k390 but I'm loving maxamet!

I did an initial clean up of the edge cause I'm a spaz ( picked it up used and a the tiniest bit of the tip was missing) and this thing stays sharp

I've used it on fruits, veggies, zip ties, cardboard, masking paper and thin plastic sheeting (to cover cars at work).. and it is unfazed

Last edited:
Hey, I don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm unfamiliar with the CBN rods.
I just looked at a pic on the Spyderco thread and they look like the diamond rods in that
the sharpening media is only on the surface of the hollow Al rods. Is this true? If so, can I assume
that one day the CBN particles will fall off of the rods just like the diamond rods?
Thanks

I just looked at a pic on the Spyderco thread and they look like the diamond rods in that
the sharpening media is only on the surface of the hollow Al rods. Is this true? If so, can I assume
that one day the CBN particles will fall off of the rods just like the diamond rods?
Thanks
Yes, they are only on the surface, but the rods are not aluminum.
The diamonds are embedded in nickel, plated to a steel base.
I have both the cbn and diamond spyderco rods, and a dozen plates of various size and grit. They are all constructed like I described.
I've never experienced any diamonds "falling off".

As for k390 and maxamet, both excellent steels for 90% of my use.

Thanks
As I recall, Sal said that the CBN rods used a different process to bind the CBN particles to the rods which enabled them to hold longer than the Diamond rods.
I've been using the same CBN rods for a few years of light reprofiling of ZDP-189 and S110V without issue.

I am very satisfied / happy with Maxamet, except I freehand DMT plates and diamond strops.

It is not brittle, it doesn't chip, it is plenty tough - I need my folders to cut, nothing else, anyway.

Corrosion is not an issue, it just patinas finely and I really like the way it looks. No rust or pitting.

After using Maxamet, I don't see a point in buying K390 - for my use at least - other than curiosity.
But I would rather save my money for the CPM 15V Military.

Back