KA-BAR Chat thread - Come on in the house

this thread needs more traction.
what's your idea of a practical "dream kabar" -- a CPM154 dog's head outdoors knife?
mk1 blade on a mk 2 handle?
a kabar version of the 225Q?
Full tang 1217.
Maybe that's already happened

a certain smoky website has some popular KaBar knives at pretty good prices in their "flash" sale that goes through Tuesday.

5 "new" knives debuted at SHOT show today - the BK62, the "unmarked" 1217,

Assuming you mean the one listed as “Single Mark”. This was long overdue.

Not everyone has a military association. Not anti military but feel like it’s stolen valor. To wear a knife that is stamped with a military insignia.

I wish they stamped it “USA”. Big and bold.

Not everyone has a military association. Not anti military but feel like it’s stolen valor. To wear a knife that is stamped with a military insignia.

I agree. It’s about respect. Personally, never having served, I don’t feel as if I have earned being able to carry a knife stamped with one of the services.

lack of action in here. Just got my new BK-18 and strapped it to the duty belt to see how it handles on inspections; nothing too rough, some cardboard, fruit and veggie slicing. Got the black '"special edition" (weird that a black BK is a special edition) and now debating whether or not get the regular tan + the wrench knife. New spending priorities now, but surely tempting.

In my mind, I can easily justify having both versions :D.
Me too...
nKOJ8AV.jpg

1320 vs 1217, 1220, 1225 what is the difference besides the stamp on the scabbard and the blade?

same question 1250 vs 1251 ???

I disagree. Especially in the case of the USMC Ka-Bar. It's such a ubiquitous design and has so much heritage in military AND civilian usage that I honestly don't care if it says USMC on it.

To say that wearing and using a knife with USMC on it is akin to stolen valor is completely ridiculous, in my opinion.

Old Ka-Bar's

New Ka-Bar's

Tell me why the dimensions of the recess on the blades of modern cabars have changed? I can't say exactly from what time, but I have a 2008 knife of the "old" shape, the new ones all go like in photo # 2

The change happened sometime back in "late" 2013. I say "late" because a question was first asked about the change on 30 Nov 2013 here on blade forums by a guy who had just gotten one.

The change was to bring the 1217 family back in line with the "original" grind of the first (1943) specifications where the grind came all the way up to the bottom of the fuller.

They answered me from the company :)

"Tell me why the dimensions of the recess on the blades of modern cabars have changed? I can't say exactly from what time, but a 2008 knife of the "old" shape, the new ones all go like in photo #2"
Good Evening,
Thank you for taking the time to contact us.
I spoke with our historian, and he indicated that we had a running change of the knife a few years ago. We had the grind line moved up to the blood groove to make it more historically accurate to the original KA-BAR Fighting Knife of WWII.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If we can assist you further, please let us know.
Have a great week!

Last edited:
Back