1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KA-BAR Chat thread - Come on in the house

Discussion in 'KA-BAR Knives' started by tradewater, Aug 13, 2011.

1. gunsil

gunsil Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Some nice fat rattlers in there too. Bears worry me more than snakes.

2. Tanker 1/66

Tanker 1/66 Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    Killed a Big Rattler on the Doodletown trail. He was laid out right in the middle of the path. Sunning in the morning.

Xr6x likes this.
  3. gunsil

Jan 9, 2013
    Good thing a ranger didn't see that. Timber rattlers are protected in NY, endangered species. I usually just go around them. Funny though, I have stepped over them, teased them with a stick, moved them out of the way with a stick and have never had one rattle for me.

4. Tanker 1/66

May 18, 2015
    Snake story time. Spending my whole life in the swamps and woods of Florida a snake encounter is inevitable. I was still hunting thru a Swamp called the Big Gum. I stepped over a blow down and Without warning Bam a Eastern Diamond Back about 4 foot long tagged my left leg. Mind you I'm 5 miles from my jeep. Fortunately or unfortunately I had my left leg amputated in the Army. When the Army doctors reattached my leg over a year a large calcium growth had grown were my shin had been. I also have extremely poor circulation and severe nerve damage. That rattler had struck me right on top of my calcium growth. It broke skin but I kinda knew he didn't get venom into me. But it opened my eyes to how fast things can go drastically down hill. I had already dispatched that snake and yes he was eaten at camp that night. I do not have a fondness for venomous snakes. A few weeks before I had happened across a 72 year old lady hiking the AT. If she was to get bit, miles from help and none to limited cell service i believe she would be a gonner.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    Xr6x likes this.
  5. Tanker 1/66

May 18, 2015
    @gunsil @zzyzzogeton I've researched for an hour and found nothing. I picked this up today for $10 no sheath. Was this made by Ka-bar under contract for some bodyelse? Left Tang is stamped Blue Steel inside a modified diamond. The right Tang is stamped 978-16-L. Thanks Guru's for any info.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. zzyzzogeton

zzyzzogeton Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Tanker 1/66 likes this.
  7. Tanker 1/66

May 18, 2015
    Thanks zzy. Any info is good info

8. Tanker 1/66

May 18, 2015
    Ok just saw a picture of a Cattaraugus 225q if the pommel was changed its a pretty good match

9. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    I'm going to guess 50's or 60's vintage Japanese made hunting knife for the import market.
    looks a lot like a "sarge" or "sabre" brand knife I found under a bush once.

10. Tanker 1/66

May 18, 2015
    :( $10.00 :( Wasted if that is the case

11. 1066vik

Nov 28, 2009
    maybe not, if it's really made from hitachi #2 blue steel.

Tanker 1/66 likes this.
  12. gunsil

Jan 9, 2013
    Definitely not a KA-BAR product and I really don't know who made it. I hate to flog a dead horse, but please don't kill any more of our local rattlers. Timber rattlers are an endangered species and there is NO good reason to kill one. A rattlesnake will not kill most humans over 80 lbs and it is simple enough to either walk around them or move them with a long stick, the former being smarter. There is no record of anybody ever being killed by any snake in Harriman or it's surrounding counties. You are not doing any humans a service by killing them, you are only satisfying your wish to kill an endangered animal. Down south and out west there are plenty of diamondbacks and although I don't abide much about killing any snake they are not endangered like our timber rattlers are. Harriman and some other New York state parks are wildlife preserves, no hunting or killing of animals is permitted or nice and that means copperheads too. Fishing is permitted in Harriman but the state re-stocks fish, they do not re-stock snakes or other animals. Wildlife preserves are just that, a place to give nature a place to be as she should with no threat to her inhabitants from we humans.

13. Tanker 1/66

May 18, 2015
    I will step up to the plate and step around the snakes from this point forward. Pictures only from now on:thumbsup:

eveled and Bladite like this.
  14. Tanker 1/66

May 18, 2015
    Remembering all those who died on and after 9/11 at home and overseas. Calverton National Cemetery Yesterday on my way home. Never Forget
    [​IMG]

15. 1066vik

Nov 28, 2009
    kabar debuted a new folder today.
    semi tactical, glass breaker, seatbelt cutter, and low MSRP.

GeofS likes this.
  16. zuluninja

zuluninja boricua grinder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 25, 2009
    saw it, but seat belt cutters are a no go for me, they tend to snag when pulled out of the pocket. Cool profile, tho.

Tanker 1/66 likes this.
  17. eveled

eveled Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Tanker, I feel bad that happened to your leg. Thank you for your sacrifice, and your service. Funny story about the snake not being able to bite you though!

Your story reminded me of one of my Dad's drinking buddies. He lost a leg in VietNam, and had an old school wooden prosthetic. When fishing he would stick his knife in his leg instead of putting it away. One day somebody asked to borrow the knife. When he returned it the one legged guy had fallen asleep, so the borrower just stuck it in his leg. Unfortunately he stuck it in the wrong leg.

Xr6x, Aikiguy and 1066vik like this.
  18. Tanker 1/66

May 18, 2015
    Xr6x likes this.
  19. Bladite

Bladite ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb Moderator

Feb 28, 2003
    Xr6x and Tanker 1/66 like this.