KA-BAR Proud to Unveil new Ek Commando Knife Co.

I received my new EK44 by Ka-Bar yesterday. I think they have done a wonderful job. Its a solid knife, I like it very much.

I think the handle is a little big for most people, but it handles as the old instructional writings from WWII say a dagger should feel in hand. I have big hands, so even with gloves it will fit me fine.

Last edited:
I cant wait for the M5 Bowie.....

Aww hell yeah...

Moose

I cant wait for the M5 Bowie.....

Aww hell yeah...

Moose

It depends on the size of the choil they place ahead of the guard. If the handles will be comparable size, the choil could use a bit of a downsizing.Just my opinion. Would you pass it along to the Ka-Bar people? plz...... :D

It depends on the size of the choil they place ahead of the guard. If the handles will be comparable size, the choil could use a bit of a downsizing.Just my opinion. Would you pass it along to the Ka-Bar people? plz...... :D

Roger that. Passed on teh infoz...

:D

Moose

Or no choil at all, would be fine. Mostly i prefer the cutting edge as close to the guard as possible like on Moras. Still even if its exactly the same as the original layout i'll still buy a Ka-bar M5 EK because its a classic design.

let me restate: if you don't handle one, you can only armchair on this debate

it's SOLID feeling.

The original EK #4 is quite a dagger. I've handled them, but not the Kabar version. The length is about perfect. If someone doesn't like the handles, they're easy enough to take off and you can get something else made or wrap in paracord, whatever makes you happy. A lot of the EK ones were wrapped which never appealed to me. I liked the walnut handles the best. Some micarta might be great, but it will shift the balance of the blade.

The thing about daggers is that I have little use for one and really don't want to carry one even though they are legal in TN. But, I'm probably going to get this one and see how I like it for giggles. Won't be the first knife that I buy and not use.

I have one of the EK bowies. Really a nice blade.

Just got my KA-BAR / John Ek Commando knife today. Within five minutes I'm sold. The knife, the blade, the handle, guard ... even the sheath, all are awesome. This is definitely a 21st century evolution of a World War II classic.

I'm no expert, but I am experienced and have an lifelong appreciation for nice knives. Among my double edged blades, I've an old Fairbairn Sykes, a 1970s Gerber Mk I and a Mk II, plus the Boker version of the V-42. I've even got an Effingham Ek Model 5 (cord wrapped version). This new collaboration may not be as elegant as the F-B Sykes or the V-42 or look as pretty as the Model 5, but it has a style all its own. It's not polished like the old Model 5, but the black finish and etched John Ek signature, iconic Ek symbol and "commando knife" logo are subtle and classy.

The blade's grind and edge geometry -- in 1095 Cro-Van -- lend it to stabbing and slashing. The F-B and V-42 are not known for their slashing abilities. The edge of my EK44 easily shaved my arm clean. The blade is so stout, I wager you could even chop a 2x4 with it. The tip looks strong enough to stab into a 2x4 and pry away. Once I get past the newness of the knife and mix it up, I'll let you know.

The handle's ergos are versatile and feel great in hand; the full tang evokes confidence. Some will complain about the "S" shaped guard. Get over it. Instead, appreciate the smooth fit and finish of the glass filled nylon scales and lack of burrs or rough edges where they shouldn't be. How many knives do you own that you've had to go over the handles with sandpaper so you don't get blisters or abrasions? Yes, the handle is a little long, but after playing with it I realize the added length adds to its versatility; the singular handle design geometry allows for tight, close to the guard grip, middle or long distance.

The pommel is classic Ek. In this case a solid protrusion of 1095 Cro-Van. You can crush skulls, jaws, pound nails, pry and otherwise amuse yourself with it.

The sheath is near perfect. It holds the knife tight, there's no rattle, movement or anything. There are plenty of grommets suitable for lashing and stashing. The back of the belt loops features a small label with the John Ek / Commando Knife logo. Again, subtle and classy.

Releasing the knife from the sheath took me a moment to figure out. In addition to a retention strap around the handle, it's got a snap lock feature near the mouth of the sheath that grabs the guard. Pulling straight up, it's difficult to near impossible to release the knife. HINT: Pull the handle slightly AWAY from the belt loop as you pull out the knife and "snick!" it works! Or if that confuses you, pull the belt loop away from the knife as you pull and it works. Either way.

I have two complaints about the sheath. First is the retention strap snap. My example is so loose as to be worthless. If this was the sole retention devise it would be worst than useless because you might be tricked into depending on it. As it is, the sheath locks in the knife at the guard, so that's not really an issue. Still, if I keep the knife -- and I think I will -- I'll replace the snap with one of greater quality. Probably a Pull-The-Dot.

Second is the belt loop: what if you don't wanna carry your cool new commando knife on the belt? What if you want molle? What if you wanna carry it inside your waist band? That could be a problem, considering the unique release mechanism. A little judicious filing/sanding of the locking bumps might be in order, as would be a little surgery on the belt loop interface. Best suggestion: Invest in quality kydex. I predict if this blade takes off -- and it should! -- there will be a lot of creative kydex available.

Overall, I'm a fan. I'm pretty picky after all these years of buying, trading, collecting and using my blades. I've been on the lookout for a good double edged knife for some time and this fits the bill. Sharp, stout, good blade material and geometry, ergonomic and great handle design ... it's worth my time and money.

I know, no pics, no fun. I'll post a couple when I get the chance.

Have fun and be safe.

I have the Ka-Bar Union razor pig sticker... it is beautiful knife and faithful to the original...

I hope they manufacture a version of the Ek with as much attention to detail.

Don't mind the dirty bench.

KaBarEk44-1_zpssb1vlw4e.jpg

KaBarEk44-2_zps7hrzh0tw.jpg

Ah, 710 made up some very nice pants for the 4. Saw them on instagram today. Nice work JD!!

made a few sheaths for the 4 today, there is a 3rd but I forgot to snap a picture before it went out, it's basically like the taco sheath with an upper grid plate with belt clip

Just got my new EK in today :) I love how it mixes the original WW2 style with the grip style of the 80s-90s knives. I think Mr Ek would approve! If I was still in the Army I think this knife would be a perfect addition to the web gear!

made a few sheaths for the 4 today, there is a 3rd but I forgot to snap a picture before it went out, it's basically like the taco sheath with an upper grid plate with belt clip

I think the one in the middle is mine? [emoji41] [emoji106]

Cant wait for model 5 to come out,will get 2 of those,and Im getting 2 model 3,as soon theyre in my local knife store.Seems like an excellent fighting knife.

I hope they release the Bowie soon. Also, even though it might be considered heresy, I'd like to see a smaller version of the Bowie! Maybe with a nice compact sheath?

I ordered double edge and bayonet grind versions few hours ago,and cant wait for bowie to come out.Plan to use bowie as my camp-hunting blade!

Back