KA-BAR Tech Talk

Mr. Toooj, sir -

For those of us who do not speak engineering, what does the term "included" mean?

I'm PRETTY SURE the 12.7 and the 17.3 is in degrees. :D

ZZZ

Garandimal,

MCR: Manufacturing Change Notice.

I've seen your work....You have the skill to do that your self. Just work carefully and with patience.
If you sent the knives to me, I'd have to take apart your knives...basically destroying the handle portion, regrind, refinish and then rebuild the knife with new components. It would be cheaper to buy a new knife.
The knives with the higher grinds should be available in a couple of months.

BTW: There may be another family member to the MKI. There is a request from some Super Secret Military Group for a revised MKI.
It may go .....or not. We'll see.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

please tell me that part of the upgrade is a 1/2" longer handle?!?

Mr. Toooj, sir -

For those of us who do not speak engineering, what does the term "included" mean?

I'm PRETTY SURE the 12.7 and the 17.3 is in degrees. :D

ZZZ

NTB...

Knife sharpening

...The angle between the blade and the stone is the edge angle – the angle from the vertical to one of the knife edges, and equals the angle at which the blade is held. The total angle from one side to the other is called the included angle; – on a symmetric double-ground edge (a wedge shape), the angle from one edge to the other is thus twice the edge angle. Typical edge angles are about 20° (making the included angle 40° on a double-ground edge)...

GR

LG&M,

Sorry. Not correct. More water involved.

zzyzzogeton,

What Grandimal says.

1066VIK,

Sorry same length.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Toooj ,
OFFICIAL _ KA-BAR posted a thread on 4-22 titled " Thank You For 115 Years "... In the video at roughly the 57 second mark there is a pic of a WW 2 USMC Ka-Bar, what i'm curious about though is the other knife with it. It has a thin peened on pommel, smooth leather handle and a thicker than normal straight guard. Is it possible for you to identify it and provide any info on it ? Thanks for your time.

brboru,

The knife is a UDT knife made by Union Cutlery during WWII. As most know, the UDT teams were the forerunners of the SEALs. The knife is basically the same as the USMC/MKII knives but had a smooth leather washer handle and (I think) a chrome plated blade.
Very few were made. That knife is from our collection.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Thanks for the info Toooj, i figured it was some kind of variation of the MKII, the thicker straight guard ( which i much prefer :) over the traditional bent guard ) threw me off, i don't recall ever seeing one like that.

Any chance KA-BAR might consider doing a run of those ?

As popular as the USMC is a UDT version might be a hot seller as well.

Grandimal - thanks for the lesson in knifeology. Did that come out of a specific book that I should acquire?

Garandimal,

New angle is 12.7 included. The old angle was 17.3 included. We are starting with the large F/U blade and then moving to the small one.
There will not be any item designation just a running change.
The proposed new Mk 1 will have a Kraton handle with a different pommel, guard and blade...if it flies.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Hey Toooj,

Guess what grind angle Four(4) 8" composite door shims makes?

6.34 deg. :D

ISYN...

So I think I'll just MacGyver the new bevel.

The design, so far, includes composite door shims, 3/4" x 6"+ grinding wheel, 2"x2" railing baluster, fine-thread drywall screws, and a table saw.

GR

hey toooj i Just picked this up at a yard sale.. Have you ever seen this knife before?? know anything about it?

Thanks Brian.

In looking over discontinued Kabars, I ran across models 1221NK/1221N2K 1222NK/1222N2K.

What was the difference, if any, between the NK and N2K versions?

Come on with the Gamestalker..... everyone is playing with my emotions lately....

In looking over discontinued Kabars, I ran across models 1221NK/1221N2K 1222NK/1222N2K.

What was the difference, if any, between the NK and N2K versions?

There is a 2 between the N and K.....

Sorry couldn't resist...

Disregard this first part - pictures posted above by Kymaedic45.

Toooj - I have a question on a knife I had several years ago: it was a nice Kabar linerlock knife, that looked very similar to an Emerson CQC-7, but with a regular saber grind and tanto blade. It had "Series 7" or Series VII" on it, but I can't find anything else on it. I bought it from a Big 5 Sporting goods store here. Any info on that one? (I don't have it anymore or I'd post a pic.)

~Chris

Last edited:
Toooj - another question, if I may: A while back I noticed that the blade of the standard #1217 C/U knife seems to sit lower than the center-line of the handle, when viewed from the side. In the post below from another thread. you mentioned the (possibly Camillus?) knife having an "in-lineleather handle"; why were the Kabar's designed with the blade below the centerline?

Shotbuster,

Interesting knife. If Sac Troop has problems IDing it then it has to be a unique knife. I'm thinking it may be a Camillus knife. Thin pommel, in-line leather handle, squareish Bloodgroove. While Camillus made bend guard versions they were typically straight guards. The vise marks on the guard indicate that the guard may have been bent back. The sheath does look peroid correct. The lack of marking on the ricasso or guard is a little troubling. I don't think it is a Union/KA-BAR but I've been known to be wrong.
Frank Trazska or another Military Knife expert may offer some more insite.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Toooj what's the deal buddy? :)

I thought the sheaths where on the same shipment?

BK10s been released about a week at tomars now... Where is my gamestalker?.... getting impatient lmao :)

Changing the name of this thread.

There seems to be some deviation from what I originally intended it to be.

Moose

Okay all,

Sorry for not answering. I've been on the road quite a lot lately but now I'm back in the office and can take care of your questions:

1) kymedic45,

You have a model 2721.That was the Ka-BAR International line. We sold that from 1999-2006. Not one of our better moments but Alcas (now Cutco Corp) had just bought KA-BAR and we were trying to quickly expand the line with some fast product intros until we could get more designs into production.

2) zzyzzogeton,

The letter designation change for the 1221 was for the change in the sheath. The N2K models had the strapped sheaths as opposed to the rubber snubber hold down. That happened in 2002.

3) Orca,

We designed and had made a bunch of knives for Big 5. Your knife was a Series VII which was produced in 2006.
On your other question: The USMC F/U knife/ USN MkII knives have always had an offset tang. All of the other producers of the F/U knife also had the offset tang. It's just more noticable on the 1977-present KA-BAR Knives. We did this for several reasons. 1) a better ergo handle shape (the new handles are more oval instead of round) and 2) because of the way they were orginally milled, the leather washers would be milled to bring the handle back in line. This left the leather washers very thin on the top which in turn caused the washers to break apart easier. Why was the tang offset? for two reasons: 1) to allow some room under the handle for your fingers. Remember the knife was also used by the Navy for ship work. Sailors were the original batoners. When they batoned line, there was room so their fingers would not be crushed or pinched. 2) The centerline of the tang is more in line with the tip of the knife (Stabbing purposes) Read Styer's and Biddle's books (Cold Steel and Do or Die). They were both Marines and the system they taught and used is reflected in the knife design.

Worldwood,

Tomars may be just starting to ship BK-10s. I don't know about the JAB Gamestalker Sheaths. (I'm sort of removed from the incoming receiving and inspection now)

Whew. Hope all of this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Back