1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Kamidog got him a Bois d'Arc self bow! What now?

Discussion in 'H.I. Cantina' started by ndoghouse, Nov 2, 2016.

1. kronckew

kronckew

Aug 17, 2003
    sounds goo to me tu.

yup, you figgerd it out. :) cock feather out, the other two hen flights can rub the bow in passing evenly (or not at all if short enough) either side of the arrow's line of flight. they been doing it that way for millennia. theory falls apart for two or more than three flights. some people argue it doesn't make any difference. i'd stick with history. some modern bows with fall-away arrow rests are supposed to keep the flights from touching anything after leaving the string, so it likely doesn't matter if you have one of those. people with those extreme bows with computerised sights and protruding stability weights and vibration dampers may spend many happy hours arguing the benefits of all the extras on their bows, bit like extreme M16 customizers.

p.s. - love the horse bows.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  2. ndoghouse

ndoghouse Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2010
    OK I think I got it. So sounds like the spine goes up and cock feather goes outward and nock accordingly. I watched a bunch of videos today and they do orient the spine direction. I didnt do that when I made my arrows. No problem tho. I made them a bit longer in case I had to modify them. I can just whack off the nock and cut a new one if its way off. Ill see after I shoot them some.

3. ndoghouse

Aug 26, 2010
    YEEEEE..Haw!!!! Got my serving tool, bow square, and serving thread in!!! That serving thread is some expensive stuff aint it? Now lets git er done brothers and sisters!

[​IMG]

I started winding opposite the winding direction of the bow string winding as most seem to recommend. Since I wasnt sure which way was up and down I wound an 8" serving centered on the tillering center line or whatever thats called (middle of the strang). I later found out the larger loop on the bowstring is usually the "this side up" side since you load it that way. Oh well. I can always do it over if wrong. Anyway I think its good nonetheless. OK Im figuring the handle is going just below the mark used when tillered. Im going to center the pressure applied on the bow with the point on my hand that meets that point and call that ground zero and build the handle wrap in the appropriate spot below. Right? wrong? I honestly dont know? Gotta start somewhere? OK serving wrap... Git er done! Eight inches centered from there should give me plenty of room for nocking points etc.

[​IMG]

OK that went pretty well! Now here is how you secure things.

[​IMG]

That super cool knot no boy scout ever thought of less hes a fishin nut. You guys making fishing rods is much the same way to tie on eyelets. After you make this configuration you pull the tail i have pinched here and lay it amongs the lower coils in the pic. Hold the tail there and continue wrapping the lower coils in the same direction and as you wrap the lower coils you will notice the upper coils will unwind. Just keep winding the lower coils with the tail bound and as you continue winding the upper coils will unwind in a corresponding amount of coils you set up for.

[​IMG]
    OK All unwound!

[​IMG]

Then pull the tail you just wrapped up (bottom) until the end is tight and secure. Snip and melt it clean.

[​IMG]

I can assume the line drawn on the bow was where he centered it for tillering. Since I didnt know a dang thing when I bought it... it could have been a mark where Saturns rings line up with Uranus for all I know? I guess I could have built me a jig and found it all over again but then again If I did all that crap then i wouldnt be shooting till three deer seasons away:rolleyes: OK I measured and its half way between where the string grooves are. Its gravity heavy on one side which is what im calling the bottom since its a natural feeling to me and the string was made that way. still might be totally wrong?

OK...I have heard that about a half inch is a good start. and since my hand meat will spread out a bit when im loaded then I might ought to knock things accordingly.

I also have my square bass ackwards here in the pic but im figuring the arrow will set on top of my spread out hand meat and then better to have it knocked obove than below. Im gonna work from there. In the photo top is left. I actually put my knocking points a bit above that. Ill get some pics and results soon. Oooo.. No knock points pics... Ill have to do that too. Thanks in advance all! I know I could go to another more appropriate forum but I love you guys and identify with yall already! Maybe a Chupri arrow is in order :thumbup:

Oh almost forgot till Bawanna reminded me in another thread. I went out for some practice i hadnt had in prolly 40 years and didnt have an arrow quiver. Hold your heart Bawanna. Only had to make two holes to do it!

[​IMG]

Wife made me do it! She knows you and your tri-box fettish! She caught me on the way out. I got some vidia but gonna take me some time to make a movie of it but ill try:D

PS. I was offa work but dont know how straight i was a shootin:D

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  4. Bigbore577

Bigbore577

Jun 15, 2006
    How come you have shoes on? Glad it's not Bud Light. :)

5. ndoghouse

Aug 26, 2010
    Bud light! Heck no. I like Hoppy beer! Like cheese...If it dont stink to hi heaven then it aint worth water across a coon bacculum. Shoes! Heck no thems blackberry spine deterrent devices. Othern them blackberries i wouldnt put anything on my feet. My archery/atlatl range is on my neighbors property. When she crossed the river we became the caretakers of her property for her heirs. Works really good that way. People think somebody lives there and likes to shoot things:D Aint had no intruders there since my targets live there. Dogs help me out a bit too. I inherited her dog too. Shes a sweetie and knows the plan:D

6. Bigbore577

Bigbore577

Jun 15, 2006
    I'm more of a Stout guy in more ways than one. I truly respect your likes for primeval wepons, just not my bag. I like things that go bang, the bigger the better. Of course second, things sharp that can slice and dice. My next will be a four bore SxS just because I want to. I've fired a few already, not fun. Saying you survived is accomplishment enough.

7. Bawanna

Bawanna Moderator Moderator

Dec 19, 2012
    Your wife is a very sick individual perpetrating this travesty only because of my affection for tri boxes.
    I'm contacting Dr. Bookie.

That being said, it seems to work pretty well.

8. christcl

christcl

Apr 13, 2004
    I just got a dozen Byron Ferguson Penthalon heavy carbon arrows cut to 30" fletched by the nice folks at my local archery store.

I need to get a jig and learn how to fletch myself =)

9. ndoghouse

Aug 26, 2010
    Well im pretty new to this but i dont think its that hard. Especially if you already know about spine and weights and such. Im still learning all that stuff. I think having them cutting jigs and such would help alot. Luckily archery has been around for a long long time and you can still find the well made vintage stuff pretty cheap instead of all the cheapo plastic modern crap.
    Im going to look up those carbon arrow shafts you mention. I want to find some with two different diameters for making atlatl darts. How long are the ones you get cut off? Ideally i want to end up with a 6 1/2-7 foot dart. Might have to go with three pieces to get that tho... thin up front for a foot or so then section of fat then long thin at the tail end? Gues id have to get me some pre-pre carbon and make me a carbon atlatl too:D

10. christcl

christcl

Apr 13, 2004
    I picked up a dozen precut to 30" and installed with inserts. The price was right. I would be saving about 50 bucks.

I'm actually not too impressed with the current Byron Ferguson Penthalon Heavy carbons. They are nowhere as durable as the last iteration of Byron Ferguson Heavy Carbon arrows.

Here they are compared to my 35.5" English arrows being used as Manchu arrow substitutes.

The wood arrow weights 1300 grains and the carbon shafts weight 650-700 grains depending on the arrow head mounted.

[​IMG]

11. T. C. Weston

T. C. Weston

Apr 10, 2011
    Nice work! Thanks for giving us a step by step on the project! I've got to get one of those serving tools someday. All these years it's just been a spool of thread, and a lot of words I don't want the kids repeating around their mom.

12. ndoghouse

Aug 26, 2010
    Ha! I hear ya! I have plenty of them words when it goes to straightening that river cane:D
    I think I could do a serving without the tool if I had to but I suppose if it was in the field you could just shoot without the serving anyway until you get home. Havent tried it yet and I could be wrong:rolleyes:

13. mPisi

mPisi

Oct 12, 2001
    Interesting topic folks, this wannabe archer thanks you.
    I am also an Osage Orange fan, I've got seed pods on my patio table from a neighbor's tree, but I don't really have a place on my property for it :grumpy:

I saw the mention of Osage Orange for khuk handles, and I wanted to mention/humblebrag that it has been done, and works great. See the YCS on the left below. Around 2004 IIRC a forumite sent some special woods to HI in Nepal. I believe there were two of these Chiruwa YCS come back, and I was lucky enough to get one.
    [​IMG]

14. SingleGrind

SingleGrind

Jun 15, 2015
    Oh.my.god...those YCSs!! :eek: EMS!!! Nah but for real, the second from the right is by far the best one I've ever layed eyes on

15. cul4u01

cul4u01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2012
    I am in awe, just like SG!

16. joeraz

joeraz Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Those are beautiful!! Nice grain on far left, my favorite would be with larger inlays on right.

17. Bawanna

Bawanna Moderator Moderator

Dec 19, 2012
    For what tiny bit it might be worth I'm partial to the Osage Orange one myself. I like a little natural wood to show through.
    I still have a piece (getting smaller) of Osage somebody send me years ago to make pistol grips. I made a matching set for him and his son.
    Enough left over for a few other projects as well.

Nice stuff.

That's a beautiful collection of YCS's. Love them all truth be told.

18. ndoghouse

Aug 26, 2010
    Thanks for posting those YCS's. I am partial to the Osage one myself but all are every nice. It does make some beautiful knife handles btw. I have a piece of limb I polished out for a flint knapping tool that is gorgeous. I thinking i may polish out my bow the same. Pretty stuff.
    If you decide to rid of some of them seed pods let me know. Maybe we could trade something. I have the opposite problem. Plenty of land but no osage trees. They supposedly grow well around here. I just havent seen any in my area? Might help if I knew what they looked like tho:D

19. mPisi

mPisi

Oct 12, 2001
    Well twist my arm to talk about YCSs :D

That was one of the first two chiruwa-YCS to reach Uncle Bill, from October 2002. Made by Sher. The blade was a little bigger than the usual YCS at that time, but the chiruwa handle and the very dense wood made it stay in balance. I found the old sale post and remembered I was calling it the YCSi (i for "improved"). Wood is still a mystery, possible rosewood. Soon after those came in, HI stopped making the YCS for a while because the kamis were making the blades too thin and there were some failures.

The far right was the first one I got, my wife bought it for me after our engagement in 2001. Sanu was the kami. Dan Fletcher later worked on it for me and took out some of the ripples in the blade, and built a really nice kydex scabbard. It's now my favorite user. Most of these I feel bad using since they are so nice.

The two on the left were from the great YCS special order which was 2004(?). Forumites paid in advance for the YCS production to be started up again, with blades made to Yvsa's spec so they would be good. There was maybe 24 coming in two batches. I ordered two, and was lucky enough to snag the osage orange one in the first batch, by Kumar. The others were heavy versions similar to the 2002 chiruwa one, with heavy dark handles. I saved my second pick for the second batch since I would get to pick first, and I hoped there would be something as cool as the osage orange one. Sure enough, the second batch had the checkerboard inlay done by Sher. You would not believe how good all those inlays are fitted. I have that one marked as osage orange also in my inventory, but I'm not sure if that is correct.

My seeds have sat out all summer and are now all black, so I'm not sure if still viable. I will see if I can get some more. They are pretty unmistakable, being essentially green softballs.
    [​IMG]

20. ndoghouse

Aug 26, 2010
    Oooooo.. Thank you sir! Ill keep mine eyes open for them:thumbup: