Kamidog got him a Bois d'Arc self bow! What now?

So I hear you can make a bow out of a red oak board with good grain?

Edit: Learning about bow trees, I've got to see what I can find around here in the woods some wood that is any good.
I'll be going stave-hunting this weekend. I have a lot to learn about winter tree identification without the leaves but hopefully it will work out...

Northeast woods... Hickory, Hard Maple, not too sure what else.... Ash, Yew? I don't know what exactly is around here.
I should hook up with Red Eagle Trapping, I bet he's got his trees all figured out in the area he cruises.

Last edited:
Ash and Yew are VERY appropriate woods for bows. I bet there are some forumites that know about red oak for bow so I am going to be listening carefully to catch any wisdom that gets added to this fascinating thread.

The idea was that I could get a nice grained red oak board from a big box hardware store... I don't have any staves curing yet nor the skill to use one!
Looks like there is a Boyer in the cantina? Might be my lucky day!

The idea was that I could get a nice grained red oak board from a big box hardware store... I don't have any staves curing yet nor the skill to use one!
Looks like there is a Boyer in the cantina? Might be my lucky day!

The first bow I ever made was from a red oak board, and it survives today. It really is underrated as a bow wood. Give it a try!

Have a pic or dimensional size suggestions for the bow?
What is a good cheap backing method?
So glad you piped up! THANKS

Have a pic or dimensional size suggestions for the bow?
What is a good cheap backing method?
So glad you piped up! THANKS

Find a 2x1x6 at the hardware store. Look for quarter sawn straight grain that doesn't run off the length of the board. If you find a clean piece, no backing is necessary. Backing is always a good idea, so since your at the hardware store anyway, you can pick up some fiberglass tape and waterproof wood glue.

Ah! Howd i miss this post? Been building me up a new puter so aint no tellin. Check on the tube. Ill look and see if I can find the link but some guy did a video of him going to the hardware stor and described how to pick the right piece of wood. I thought it was very informative. Ill post the link later if I can find it. Ill prolly do the same thing when I find the right piece of wood. Please post your progress as you go. Id love to follow your build. I build me three more arrows and have been shooting them bare to try to get the tuning right.

Yeah I saw that video, it talked about the lengthwise grain and what the end of the board should look like. I'm trying to steal away to the big blue hardware store and buy a board, some titebond II... I think I have lots of fiberglass tape for sheetrock but I've still got to work out a string.

Apparently I havent figured out the 'how to cut the nock' part yet either.

For some reason I thought this was going to be relatively 'easy' ha ha then I tried it.

Looks my boss is going to season some 6"x8' oak logs for a while for me.

Finally got around to polishing out my bow. I BLO'd it up as well and added some nocking points. Man thats some pretty wood! I also build three more cane arrows but aint nothin to show yet cause im bare shafting them now. Soon as I get them right ill fletch them and post some more pics.

38d68595a9c0e38e701977aa87b414ad

0010c7b244da8cd761d5776884776125

a27d1718fbca4f2ca39b73e4f6487d60

Made me a few more points too. Lets see what happens to them:D

dd5a2d3d5c5198cf06985e179ff75ca5

That three sided one is made for penetrating leather armour. Nasty aint it!

Last edited:
Osage is flat out gorgeous, and only gets better over time. It's does make a radical change from firey yellow orange to deep orange brown with dark purple shimmering through. Don't know how to properly describe it, but it's very reactive to light over time.

Your stone work is impressive! You have surpassed my level by far. Excellent work!

Thanks TC. Watching you make your new bow got me off my duff to clean mine up and polish it up a bit. I can see how the purple color could be present. I can see some around the knots already.
I knap every day pretty much. I have seen your points and they are impressive as well. I can get four to five inch points pretty reliable and bird points all day but anything longer is still in the works. Im still experimenting on support to prevent the dreaded end snap. I just got a box of some Glass Buttes like we traded a while back and will start on it soon. Dont get much glass around here so it is a treat.

love that 'armour piercer'.

as granny would say, 'y'all could put summons eye ut wif dat thang!'

at'll do for an atlatl dart too!

Man that osage is sweet stuff. Dont have anything made with it but its killer, and your knapping skill is, man just wow.

I think tomorrow I'll start working on the bow.

The thing I'm most worried about is the fact that I don't understand how to put in the nocks with a file.....
I also don't have a string for tillering or a string for stringing!

I think tomorrow I'll start working on the bow.

The thing I'm most worried about is the fact that I don't understand how to put in the nocks with a file.....
I also don't have a string for tillering or a string for stringing!

Keep studying on the tube man! There is everything you need to know about making bow strings. When I got mine it still needed the serving and nocks but its not hard. You might need to buy a few tools but they are pretty cheap. You can do it without the tools if you have any manual dexterity at all but just takes a bit longer. I know I could do it but I bought the tool. I havent built a bow myself but I have to try it soon as I can get me a good stave. If you have the dexterity to make your own bow then surely you can make your own arrows too. I would suspect that when you are tillering it and got it done then you would know where the sting nocks should be filed but dont take my advice. I know nothing about that. Wait for TC or someone else. They could surely tell you how to do it.

Keep studying on the tube man! There is everything you need to know about making bow strings. When I got mine it still needed the serving and nocks but its not hard. You might need to buy a few tools but they are pretty cheap. You can do it without the tools if you have any manual dexterity at all but just takes a bit longer. I know I could do it but I bought the tool. I havent built a bow myself but I have to try it soon as I can get me a good stave. If you have the dexterity to make your own bow then surely you can make your own arrows too. I would suspect that when you are tillering it and got it done then you would know where the sting nocks should be filed but dont take my advice. I know nothing about that. Wait for TC or someone else. They could surely tell you how to do it.

I'll be glad to help in any way I can! I'll be putting up some more of my latest bow build this weekend, so if you want to see something specific, let me know. I'll show how I carve in the knocks. For tillering string, any strong cord will do; right now I'm using some paracord I had lying around. For the bow string, go online and order some B-50 dacron if you don't have an archery shop nearby. I'll show how to twist it up.

WoooooHoooo great to see another person getting into making bows. Pics Stwm. LOTS of pictures please. I love watching all you talented folks.

Ndog, Sounds like you got it figured out with the spine. Glad the bare shaft process is working for you.

Back