• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Keech Timberman Axe

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll have the baddest axe on the block with this Keech Timberman work axe. The head weighs a hair over 5lbs (2.3kg) and it's hung on a ~30" racing handle, left rough intentionally for grip. Smooth it if you prefer or leave it as is. This came to me sharpened by a former Stihl Timbersports champion and I haven't used it nor touched the edge. If you can't chop with this it's not the axe's fault. :D

$350 Shipped and Insured CONUS, PayPal G&S Only (fees included in price)

i-t7vLRqM-M.jpg

i-X97QrJ7-M.jpg

Thanks!
Travis

What steel was used in this axe, what makes it the baddest axe around and does "racing" refer to the lines in the wood grain or what does this mean? I know a lot about knives but I have been expanding to include axes but I'm still learning. Thank you for your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What steel was used in this axe, what makes it the baddest axe around and does "racing" refer to the lines in the wood grain or what does this mean? I know a lot about knives but I have been expanding to include axes but I'm still learning. Thank you for your time.

Thanks for your questions. "Baddest axe" was just a bit of marketing fun and I'd like to be clear that, while this is a fantastic tool, axes are also very specialized, like knives, making it impossible to pick a clear "baddest" across the board. Even for particular tasks folks will often prefer one over another simply because the field is even and brand loyalty is important to them. Again, they are not unlike knives in this respect.

That said, here are some answers to your questions and other points that lead to the relative "baddest-ness" of this feller (pun intended):

• Keech invented, many years ago, a method of casting blades while retaining the steel properties we want in this kind of tool such as edge retention, toughness, hardness, material consistency, etc. To my knowledge the mixture is proprietary and not published but it's very high quality carbon steel competitive with any impact tool maker.
  • Australia has a very rich logging history (arguably richer than our own here in the U.S.) and Keech has been integral to that industry. They are extremely highly regarded.
  • Keech cast axes are also a favorite among Timbersport racers. Many wield Keech cast steel racing axes and even more use these less refined axes like I'm selling for practice (instead of damaging their $700 axe).
  • Steel bing equal, the primary difference between this and an actual race axe is the grind. This has more obtuse geometry, making it able to survive considerably more abuse. A fine racer would last about one swing into a frozen piece of hickory due to its very thin blade profile. This, on the other hand, can split and chop all day.
  • "Racing" handles are generally a bit thicker and are left rough for maximum grip. In particular you may see the heavy finger ridges near the bottom of the handle. This one won't slip unless you just can't hold on!
  • Lastly, you probably won't see one of these in your neighbor's garage. They aren't impossibly rare but they certainly aren't common in the U.S. as folks apparently don't like paying outrageous shipping costs to get them out of AU.

I hope that helps. Feel free to let me know if there's anything else you're curious about.

Thank you for the information. I read the links provided. I've been into knives for a long time and studied steel to grinds and handles materials and just now branching out into axes, hatchets, and tomahawks and all the renditions of the axe that have been made over the years. Once again thank you for the lesson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the delay in getting this updated but this is sold as of this morning. Thanks for the interest, folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back