Keen Kutter and Shapleigh finds

Bought this at the flea market this AM. Did not get a bargain ($30) but it appealed to me. Keen Kutter logo on the big blade and also the awl. Keen Kutter shield on the side. The military used 4 blade utilities that resemble this one and with the bail present thought it may have a military connection? Any one have the code (6559) that is stamped on the big blade? All comments and critiques are welcomed. Thanks.
kk1.jpg

kk2.jpg

kk3.jpg

kk4.jpg

Last edited:
Nice EC Simmons KK knife, 30$ is a great price for such a knife. The bone is great old used looking.
You done great.
Mike

I'm dying to see what you get when do get a bargain.:)

I meant to mention that Simmons was a hardware jobber and not a supplier of knives to the military, thus no military connection. However it is possible that the actual maker did make an adaptation of this pattern for military procurement contracts during the war (WWII). Compare this knife in detail to known makers patterns of the era to find the actual maker. E.C. Simmons was bought out by Shapliegh in July of 1940 so your knife likely dates to that time or before.

It is my understanding that military contract utility knives were adaptations of existing commercial designs. Among the initial differences were specifications that the bolsters and liners be steel rather than nickel and brass so your knife is unlikely to be GI although it may have been available for purchase through a local PX post war.
Having said that; my Dad's Imperial "pilot's" knife, most likely pre-war issue, brought back from Australia and New Guinea in 1942, exhibits brass liners along with steel bolsters so there are some variations.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the feedback and comments. It is appreciated. I feel good that all have been positive remarks and that I did "OK" with the purchase. Best regards, HW

It is my understanding that military contract utility knives were adaptations of existing commercial designs. Among the initial differences were specifications that the bolsters and liners be steel rather than nickel and brass so your knife is unlikely to be GI although it may have been available for purchase through a local PX post war.
Having said that; my Dad's Imperial "pilot's" knife, most likely pre-war issue, brought back from Australia and New Guinea in 1942, exhibits brass liners along with steel bolsters so there are some variations.

E.C. Simmons hardware was bought out by Shapliegh in 1940. That pretty well precludes an E.C. Simmons marked knife from post war sales on or off base unless it was old stock. It might have been made prior to my c. 1930 catalog, but not likely later than 1940. Anyone have an earlier E.C. Simmons catalog?

A couple of weeks after finding the E.C. Simmons KEEN KUTTER knife I found this SHAPLEIGH HARDWARE knife....it cost me $15.00! Neat that Shapleigh bought out Simmons so I have a "series" going here. I think Shapleigh's top knife was called DIAMOND EDGE so this is not the top of the line? What I like about this one is the file work on the back of the center spacer. In the second photo it looks like a chip in the bone at the lower right. It is not, it is a "dimple" in the bone. Thanks for looking and comments are welcomed.
shap1.jpg

shap2.jpg

shap3.jpg

shap4.jpg

shap5.jpg

Neat! Well, to be truthful, it could date to pre-1940 before Shapleigh bought Simmons. The ywere competetors in the jobber business. I'll see what I can find.

ETA:. Ok, as I suspected, I found one similar to your knife in my c. 1911-15 Norvell Shapleigh catalog under their housebrand at that time, Norshap, a blade etch, not a tang marking. No. C2079ST Patent Stag handle.... $10 per dozen (wholesale). I do not have this catalog scanned. The housebrand was changed a few years after this when Norvell left.

A history reading assignment if you are interested.
http://www.thckk.org/history/shapleigh-history.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, the information and the link to the "History" reading. I read it with interest. I did not know that Shapleigh was that old. Regards.

Herb That's a very nice knife you found there, the blades have tons of life left in them - beautiful Bone, awesome detail to the Liners - that old stamping is something special right there! just a fantastic bargain for sure! Beautiful old Knife

Those are old tang stamps on that Shapleigh!
Pre - D-E designation, perhaps!!

A couple of weeks after finding the E.C. Simmons KEEN KUTTER knife I found this SHAPLEIGH HARDWARE knife....it cost me $15.00! Neat that Shapleigh bought out Simmons so I have a "series" going here. I think Shapleigh's top knife was called DIAMOND EDGE so this is not the top of the line? What I like about this one is the file work on the back of the center spacer. In the second photo it looks like a chip in the bone at the lower right. It is not, it is a "dimple" in the bone. Thanks for looking and comments are welcomed.
shap1.jpg

Both knives are splendid but this brings a teardrop to my eye...exquisite!!!

Back