Kelly Axe Manufacturing Thread

Very interesting..........Axes can be found in my area for great prices........Whats the best way to clean one up?........carl

Gotta say KELLY is my favorite. This maybe the post of the decade. Great info, great pics and great presentation. No bullshit here folks...This is the real deal.

Well done 'Big O' Your post is the reason I respect you.

regards...Frank

This maybe the post of the decade. Great info, great pics and great presentation. No bullshit here folks...This is the real deal.

Ditto what Frank said. Fantastic post!
bow.gif

The images from your collection are amazing.

One thing that struck me, with the exception of a couple of carpenters hatchets every Kelly axe shown has obvious convex cheeks. Back in the day they knew what geometry made the work go faster. Modern manufacturers should take note. Flat-cheeked axes (like many Gränsfors Bruks) are less efficient tools.

I wonder how many suckers are spending >$200 on a boutique axe when a vintage axe would put it to shame. Then think about how many vintage axes have been melted down into car parts and rebar. It's enough to make a grown man cry.
bawling.gif

P.S. - When are you going to sell me that CMStP&P hatchet?

Operator, Your collection of Kellys is simply amazing!! Kellys are a favorite of mine. I have a modest collection, so your post on the manufacturing history was most interesting. Thanks for taking the time to put it all together.

My best regards, Tom

Thank you all for the comments so far. The info I have provided on this topic and others is not all consuming, but the goal I have Is to create an interest in axe history, so we can all remember not only the loggers out in the field, but the men behind the scenes making the axes these men used. I am fascinated by the whole industry, the creation, men on the scene, work involved, and then the industry that provided the tools
those men needed. Awesome.

As I have stated if I have made a mistake with info,well that might be a good thing because that will get discussion going. Discussion is good.

Hope you all enjoy. There is more to come!

Thanks!

Mike

I always enjoy these history lessons. :thumbup:

Axe and tool history always interests me.

Excellent write-up, Operator!

I have a kelly flint edge that I found in someones garbage that I restored(what an idiot). Anyway it doesn't look like any of the ones you have on here and the original handle(which was broken, but I kept it anyway) was only 20-21 inches long so I believe it was what is known as a 'boys axe'. Its a shame that the 'flint edge' was worn down to the head steel and now its just a wall hanger though. I would put up a picture, but I lost the wire for my camera to computer, but I will put it up once I get a new one.

Hi Folks,

I acquired this axe yesterday along with a mess of other hammers and such. The markings read "C. Kelly Perfect Charleston WV USA. I have only used a little WD 40 to help reveal these inscriptions, so I am not sure if there are any other markings.

I did a little internet search and found the history of the company. Is this axe something that I can re-handle and restore as a user, or should I not because of value?

Thanks,

Bobby

Attachments

• photo-125.jpg
    photo-125.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 59
  • photo-124.jpg
    photo-124.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 54
  • photo-126.jpg
    photo-126.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 60