Ken Erickson: Muskrat

Thanks so much, Charlie. Truth be told, I really didn't expect this level of acceptance and enthusiasm for the pattern. (Perhaps because historically it's not a pattern I ordinarily gravitate toward.)
That said, Ken could make "plain vanilla" exciting imho with or without any input from yours truly. I am, however, very proud that our collaborations have been so well received and thank you for your kind words.

Well, I feel much better about the Wharncliffe blade now and its more common touch. (Not too keen on the vehicular homicides but we won't blame that on the blade.) Thanks for the info, Jack.

The new guy in Maine sounds a big improvement! :D

The new guy in Maine sounds a big improvement! :D

There you go, Jack, leading us right back into the whole "improved" muskrat debacle. :p

Speaking of which...for those who, like me, may be interested in (hopefully) learning the correct terminology and nomenclature, I've just opened a new thread in BRL's forum in an attempt to see if we can get to the bottom of this conundrum.

If you all will excuse a silly question. What is/are "catch bits"? I don't think I have ever heard of those before.

TIA

Bruceter

If you all will excuse a silly question. What is/are "catch bits"? I don't think I have ever heard of those before.

There is quite a bit of info (and some give and take) in this thread as well as in this post which contains an excellent image and explanation.
(Best to leave the technical discussion there so we don't go too far off course here.)

Not much more needs to be said other than that's an outstanding knife in many, many ways. Great work Ken and Elliott to make it happen.

Muskrats are my favorite pattern. That yellow rat is pure perfection.

You're welcome, Bruceter and thanks to you all for the good words. :cool:

It's gonna be torture not playing with it when it gets here this week but what's another 8 days? :p

Wow; Blues and Eric that is one incredible knife and a bunch of my favorites DE Jack pattern, micarta scales and my favorite all time steel! Well done as usual Eric!

It's gonna be torture not playing with it when it gets here this week but what's another 8 days?

Looks like I may have spoken too soon as the package is currently MIA somewhere within the great void of the USPS holiday delivery vacuum.

Still hope for Monday or a late delivery after Xmas but the postal system shows no update since being processed in Wisconsin. I guess I wasn't as good a boy this year as I had hoped. :eek:

This hurts me a lot more for Ken than myself...(and all is not lost...just needed to vent is all).

Hoo, boy. That was so not the update I was hoping to read when I opened this thread.

May it show up soon, and not in Guido's hands.

~ P.

Hoo, boy. That was so not the update I was hoping to read when I opened this thread.

May it show up soon, and not in Guido's hands.

~ P.

Thanks Paul, Jack and Sarah...And btw, Sarah...what are you goin' on about? How many other folks do you know that are willing to make delivery in this area in a Lincoln or Caddie?

Yeah, you see Miss Smartypants?...Now apologize to Guido, would ya fercryinoutloud. He's the sensitive type, doncha know. ;)

For the last two , or is it three years Elliott, I have been at the Post Office on the 22nd of Dec paying for Express insured mail. I thought I would get on my game and get the knife out in plenty of time. Mailed it out on the 17th :eek:. I think I jinked Myself and Elliott when I told him the knife would arrive early and not to open it till Christmas day.

Hoping for a Christmas Eve delivery now:thumbup:

I'll keep my fingers crossed Elliott!
Sarah, If I gotta say it two, tree maybe eleven times ... don't pick on Guido! ;)

(I figure I can make this little joke as my Mother's maiden name was Mastro...)

Last edited:
Rut Roh, Shaggy.

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"

Just voicing the reminder out into the ether to remind whoever caused the whoops.

Rut Roh, Shaggy.

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"

Just voicing the reminder out into the ether to remind whoever caused the whoops.

Frank, your post must've reminded somebody of their vows...not a minute ago I saw that the postal website was just updated to show the package at a processing center less than an hour away.

Absent further complications and adventures, that would indicate delivery tomorrow...I'll take it. Thanks to all who sent out good thoughts and wishes. We may not be out of the woods yet but at least I can see a path through the forest...

Back