Ken Onion Prototype (pics) Super Cool, Super Bad

I think the speed-safe designs are fascinating, but I have little doubt that they qualify as switchblades under Massachusetts law, because they have blades over 1 1/2" opened by a spring or other mechanism. I don't honestly think you'd be hassled over it unless you were doing something naughty when they found it (and then you'd better not have a pen-knife or anything), but if it came down to the letter of the law I'd have to concede that it was an auto here.

------------------

-Corduroy
(Why else would a bear want a pocket?)

Very smooth knife. Very fluid. Reminds me of a Great Whale, complete with gill-plates for straining krill.

A Leviathan? Although it is of normal proportions, maybe a Minke (the smallest of the baleen whales)

------------------
><CHINOOK*>
--
Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult

Now that is one hell of a knife. Questions. What kind of lock does it utilize?
What is blade thickness?

I think it's a linerlock.

Another idea for the name: "Humpback". It DOES remind you of a whale.

Just spoke with Mr. Onion. Hope to see you at the Atlanta Blade Show. I see what you meant about the Millenium. I love the shape. I too have a Commander. I'd like to know if you will be addressing "Handle retention" (in the event of "wet" hands). Will there be a clip system for this? I prefer the "appendix" carry position - noticed that the Commander gets very uncomfortable due to the angle of the clip attachment. My personal view is that knives (or any good tool) only has utility when it had availability - location, and retrieval.

Wow! I'll have to echo the sentiments of the other forumites…I love it! I've thoroughly enjoyed my (production) Random Task and I've been an aficionado of the khukuri blade shape for a long time…this knife seems to combine the best of both worlds.

I'd love to know how to get a hold of one of these…

Jim

If it is part of the Millenium series... How about the "Falcon"?
smile.gif

Just saw Star Wars... had to be said...

------------------
I want a Light Saber for Christmas

Yowza! What an exciting design! The handle looks extremely comfortable, ergonomic and probably feels substantial in the grip. Just looking at the picture makes me want to reach out and grab it! Also I think that putting the finger guard to extend through the handle to activate the speed safe mechanism is brilliant from both a safety aspect and for speed of opening. The knife has a real "Muscle Car" type of styling to it. VERY, VERY APPEALING! Looks like a winner to me!

Sincerely,
Nick B.

Super knife. Congratulations to this one.
A name? K O K ken onion kukrie.
Greetings
red

It's definitely sharky looking. It even has five gill slits on the blade
smile.gif
. Speaking of sharks, the handle/blade junction reminds me of another shark knife, the Emerson Tiger Shark--the small law enforcement fixed blade. Others have already noticed the similarity between this knife and the Emerson Commander.

In the folded position, the knife looks exactly like a manatee. If you like aquatic *non-threatening* animal names, there you have it. The good shark names are pretty much picked over by now, unless you want to call it "Squalus".

I like the knife, Ken. But I would get rid of any purely aesthetic flourishes (just my personal bias).

David Rock

------------------
Never carry a knife shorter than your schnoz.

I really like it, but I'll have to wait for the Kershaw version
smile.gif
. It's good to see you here and on the list!
Aaron
ps sometime I'll be able to afford the real thing, but by that time, the price will probably have risen
smile.gif

------------------
aaronm@cs.brandeis.edu
I like my women like I like my knives: strong, sharp, well-formed and pattern-welded!

Yeah baby Yeah !!!!!!!!!

My God thats cool. I vote for either Mako or Centurion. Dont suppose you have a few more laying on that bench of dream you have. Name your price, I'm serious
smile.gif
As long as its Talonite or a CPM.

Dark Nemesis

------------------
All of God's Critters may have knives, but most of them are stamped with the name BENCHMADE

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I appreciate all the support.

I will be at the Blade Show in Atlanta, GA, June 11 - 13, at the Kershaw Booth.

We are trying to decide on a name. They are all great, thank you. I will have a couple of these knives with me at the Blade show along with other knives in my millenium series. Feel free to swing by the booth and have a peek at the knives. It would be nice to have the opportunity to shake hands and chat with you guys.

Aloha! Ken Onion

Wow! Can't hardly believe I missed this thread for so long. It's almost reason enough to goto the Blade show by itself
smile.gif

Stay sharp,
Sid

Holy Cow!! That is a very nice knife. Is that knife going to be a Kershaw knife or just a custom knife. See ya at the Blade Show.

Blades

Eyeflash.gif

AWESOME!!!

... and, as Joe T mentioned, making it with a Rolling or Axis lock would make it doubly AWESOME!!!

[This message has been edited by Titan (edited 09 June 1999).]

A few weeks ago I had the privilege of spending a few days with Ken and his family. I not only shot a shop tour for future use in Knives Illustrated, but a how-to article on making one of his speed safe folders, which will be in our October 99 edition, available in about six weeks. The grooves in the top of the blade shown here do face in the proper direction. The flicker on the blade spine allows you to snap it back quickly, which gets the blade moving, then the Speed Safe takes over, and the blade opens rapidly. The knife is not classed as an automatic.

I'm still having trouble determining for sure if my Mini Task is, or is definitely not, "classed as an automatic".

The relevant US Code says:
<pre>
CITE 15 USC Sec. 1241 01/24/94
EXPCITE TITLE 15 - COMMERCE AND TRADE
CHAPTER 29 - MANUFACTURE, TRANSPORTATION, OR DISTRIBUTION OF
SWITCHBLADE KNIVES
HEAD Sec. 1241. Definitions
STATUTE As used in this chapter -
(a) The term ''interstate commerce'' means commerce between any
State, Territory, possession of the United States, or the District
of Columbia, and any place outside thereof.
(b) The term ''switchblade knife'' means any knife having a blade
which opens automatically -
(1) by hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the
handle of the knife, or
(2) by operation of inertia, gravity, or both.
SOURCE (Pub. L. 85-623, Sec. 1, Aug. 12, 1958, 72 Stat. 562.)
[/code]

Both "hand pressure" and "inertia" are clearly relevant to the opening of the Random Task and Mini Task. AFAICT, the only real saving phrase would be "in the handle of the knife". If the blade is not considered to be "in the handle" then we're (technically) safe. If the blade is "in the handle" then we might not be.

I understand that Ken and Kershaw both think they are ok wrt federal law on this subject, but I am not clear on why they are confident. I keep wavering in my level of confidence. One day I think I am ok to carry it (Indian law uses the same wording as the Federal) and the next I wonder if I am subject to potentially severe penalties.

If you have any good, clear reasoning or case law to cite, I would sure like to hear about it.

------------------
Paul Neubauer
prn@bsu.edu

[This message has been edited by prn (edited 11 June 1999).]

[This message has been edited by prn (edited 11 June 1999).]

The Kershaw/Onion speed safe knives are available in mainstream cutlery stores in Massachusetts. I`m told they aren`t considered autos under the law here. (However, that could change in a heartbeat.)

Back