Kershaw Cryo - BNIB (GAW)

I hope someone who could really use it gets it, the cryo2 is garbage but I've heard the cryo to be much better.

Why is it garbage? Yeah, it's an el-cheapo knife and leaves many things to be desired, but I ask this question for newbie reasons.

I bought a couple to practice sharpening with, along with a bunch of other 20 dollar or so knives to destroy, being the sharpening plebe that I am. I'm not one of those people who immediately maul my good knives by thinking I'm a master on week one, and while I can get the Cryo 2 to cut newspaper, it won't shave worth a darn. Granted, I've only practiced a few times...

I'm still of the opinion that it is my neanderthal sharpening skills, due to my lack of practical experience, and that I need to be patient and put in the time on the stones, but if the blade is part of the problem, then I won't be so paranoid. With most things, I can pass the written exams with an A+, but the labs give me problems! :confused::)

I thought that even the cheapest steel would shave if sharpened properly, even if it dulls immediately during the process. Am I wrong?

SW-EDC SW-EDC :
The world needs more people with your generosity. Cheers!

Why is it garbage? Yeah, it's an el-cheapo knife and leaves many things to be desired, but I ask this question for newbie reasons.

I bought a couple to practice sharpening with, along with a bunch of other 20 dollar or so knives to destroy, being the sharpening plebe that I am. I'm not one of those people who immediately maul my good knives by thinking I'm a master on week one, and while I can get the Cryo 2 to cut newspaper, it won't shave worth a darn. Granted, I've only practiced a few times...

I'm still of the opinion that it is my neanderthal sharpening skills, due to my lack of practical experience, and that I need to be patient and put in the time on the stones, but if the blade is part of the problem, then I won't be so paranoid. With most things, I can pass the written exams with an A+, but the labs give me problems! :confused::)

I thought that even the cheapest steel would shave if sharpened properly, even if it dulls immediately during the process. Am I wrong?

SW-EDC SW-EDC :
The world needs more people with your generosity. Cheers!

My uncle and cousin both received them as gifts and they were horrible.
I'm visiting them and when they show me their new knives the blades are loose and rattly.
I took out my mini mini bit driver to tighten them up , and it wasn't happening.
The only choices were loose and rattly or not springing open.

Other than this though I've heard a number of reports of bad cryo2's and nothing but good about the cryo.
I'm sure they're not 100% bad, but I'd never recommend it to anyone.

I'm visiting them and when they show me their new knives the blades are loose and rattly.
I took out my mini mini bit driver to tighten them up , and it wasn't happening.

Other than this though I've heard a number of reports of bad cryo2's and nothing but good about the cryo.

Ah... Well, add that the finish on the blade is crappy as well, but as a sharpening practice mule that I could wreak havoc upon, I figured it was a cheap "destroy it and throw it away" knife.

A friend mentioned a few minutes ago, "If you practice on crap steel, you get good at sharpening crap steel". So, I'll probably have to bite the bullet and work on a nice knife or two for a while.

A friend mentioned a few minutes ago, "If you practice on crap steel, you get good at sharpening crap steel". So, I'll probably have to bite the bullet and work on a nice knife or two for a while.
Not true IMO. It will still help you to develop technique and muscle memory, and you wont mess up a nice knife while learning and making mistakes.

This is a nice, generous gesture...if you want to talk about how crappy cryo 2's are, maybe you can start another thread. Not a big deal, but just sayin...

Good work by you SoCalEDC :thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is a nice, generous gesture...if you want to talk about how crappy cryo 2's are, maybe you can start another thread. Not a big deal, but just sayin...

It is absolutely a nice, generous gesture. In the spirit of SoCalEDC's generosity, what's your address, so I can send you this Cryo 2 with the rare, limited edition, FoolishMortal (ie: horribly sharpened) blade? :D j/k

I just mentioned how the cryo being given away is known to be better than the 2.
I was asked why and explained, I did not mean to drag this thread down and apologize for that.

It's all good guys. Hopefully this will find a new home and someone can really use it :thumbsup:

Not true IMO. It will still help you to develop technique and muscle memory, and you wont mess up a nice knife while learning and making mistakes.

Geometry is geometry. The steel doesn't much matter for practice. Just be sure you're actually reaching the apex, which will take longer on higher end steel.

8cr13mov takes an amazing edge folks and the cryo is no different. Just like the Kershaw Blur even in Elmax thinning out the edge a bit will make it slicey-er as they both are a bit thick behind the edge.

I made Eagle Scout as a boy. I've had the opportunity to be a scout leader too, for 11 years or so, in two different cities. My boys are scout age now (one is a cub scout, the other a boybscout).

I made Eagle Scout as a boy. I've had the opportunity to be a scout leader too, for 11 years or so, in two different cities. My boys are scout age now (one is a cub scout, the other a boybscout).
Why don't you grab the Cryo for one of them?

No, I'll let it go to some one else. My boys have knives, and I'm not in the Scout program right now...

(Honestly, there is one kid I could give a knife to right now in my sons scouts, but I'd be more inclined to give him a two handed opening knife. His dad and mom are in and out of prison and he might not be the best candidate for a one hand opening knife right now.... gets in trouble a bit at school, I'd hate to be the one to give him the knife and get him expelled for it!! I see his dad in the jail frequently, and dads no good druggie girl friend stole the grandma's car!! And is on the lamb! His grandma has custody of him).

sabre cat, if nobody claims it in the next 24 hours as I originally posted, it's yours.
I trust you my friend to find it a good home wether it be a Scout, Scoutmaster, or someone just getting started :thumbsup:
If that's ok, let me know.

Funny enough, my dad lost his Kershaw leek last year and I bought him one of the stainless kershaw Cryos to replace it for Christmas!

I have a Cryo story!

I went on a family camping trip several years ago, I was just starting to get into knives and I got that nutnfancy fever, you know I was basically buying anything that he or the lateboyscout or apostle happened to be testing out at the moment.

The cryo, leek, drifter, mini grip, crkt lake, od-2, sanrenmu, we're in my possession at the time. This was before I ended up being devoted to traditionals and Spydercos after going through a heck of a lot of other knives.

I was trying to get my brother in law into knives so I gifted him a cryo on the trip. We were dead asleep at 230 am when my mother in law heard rustling and woke us up to investigate.

Me and my brother in law in our underwear run out of the campsite and down a ravine where we heard the noise flashlights in hand, turns out it was two racoons. It was there I noticed my hipster brother in law from Boston with the cryo in his hand reverse grip. I started laughing and asked him if he was going to stab the raccoon in the head or something.

He took that knife on many a camping trip after and it served him well until he forgot it one day before getting on a flight and the TSA took it from him.

sabre cat, if nobody claims it in the next 24 hours as I originally posted, it's yours.
I trust you my friend to find it a good home wether it be a Scout, Scoutmaster, or someone just getting started :thumbsup:
If that's ok, let me know.
Consider it done but, please make it through Sunday. Like I said, I want it to stay here if possible.

I have two or three people that it could go too.

My friend Scott, the Scoutmaster. For himself or a scout.
My friend Ron. Things have not been good for him lately. In the last 18 months he has been hospitalized, laid-off, divorced and now it looks like he will be homeless by the end of the month. If the boy did not have bad luck, he would have no luck at all. Maybe a Cryo would bring a smile to his face.

Back