Kershaw Ken Onion Whisper scans

Joe - I'm not sure of the specifics. I'm sure that the studs and gate are hardened considering the constant interaction between the two. From what it feels like, the gate compresses slightly when the blade is in the open and locked position, this will allow the lock to be self adjusting should a little amount of wear develop. I hope Ken and Kershaw can do the double gate thing to make it ambi. Ken can answer the specifics a whole lot beter than I can but I know for a fact he is out of town right now.

------------------
AKTI Member # A000005
NC Knife Knuts Member
SCAK Honorary Member
Living life "on the edge"

In memory of James K. Mattis

what's up with the little protursion at the bottom, i haven't read all the entries so this might be a repeat, any other use besides blade guard?

That little protrusion is what Kershaw calls an "index trigger". Closed, it protrudes through the handle spine. Hit is with your index finger and the Speed Safe kicks in, propelling the blade to the open and locked position. Open, as you pointed out, it serves as a finger guard.

------------------
Proud member of AKTI, NCKK, and SCAK

Hmmm... only 3 finger grooves? They appear close in measurement. Which groove cradles 2 fingers?

L8r,
Nakano

Hopefully Kershaw will make a more affordable model, it could have aluminum or G-10/SS handles (would need an SS bolster), maybe a slightly lesser steel if cost there is a major factor, etc. (Unfortunately, most of us just can't afford to spend $350 on a knife, no matter how hard it is to machine Ti.) Something similar would sell well for closer to $150, if it would be possible to produce. The lock would sell a good number of forumites (myself included). I would redo the handle slightly, maybe decreasing the hump on the back of the handle and one less finger groove. Sweet knife, though, I want one!

------------------
Jason aka medusaoblongata
-----------------------
"I have often laughed at the weaklings who call themselves kind because they have no claws"

- Zarathustra

ok lets say i want to get this knife ( yes i do) when would i have to order it and would it be foolish ? is it really only going to be limited production ? cause that might make it worth the price kens designs are really interesting

------------------
I bleed when i am careless

anyone know if the wisper will have sn# engraved on it if it is going to cost that much i think it would be a nice touch

------------------

so far from what i have learned about the wisper it would not be good for a lefy like me is this correct ? and will there be a black version man i am so interested in this knife

------------------

redratsnake - Ken Onion did tell me one time that he hopes to re-engineer the Vault Lock slightly to have another gate on the opposite side of the knife, thus making it ambidextrous. We'll have to see if he can pull this off. Hopefully he can cause it'll make a good knife even better.

------------------
Proud member of AKTI, NCCKG, NCKK, and SCAK

The possability of making this a dual vault is a reality as I've already done it . The difficulty is doing it cost effective.
I agree the blade seems a little small compaired to the handle. That is due in part to the fact that we had to move the pivot shaft back a few times to fit the lock , as a result the blade got a bit short. Don't forget guys the knife pictured is merely a prototype and no doubt will evolve slightly when it becomes available to the public.

I hope this clears some things up .

Aloha!!! Ken Onion

Hi

Any chance of the wisper comming in a black serated blade with a dual lock, diffrent color handles ??????? just throwing a few things around i keep finding my self checking out the pic i do agree the blade should be a bit bigger Tim

anything new on the wisper ???

------------------
Honey !!! were the hell is my Knife ??????

Keith - not yet. Kershaw is projecting an early 2001 release for it. I talked with my contact at Kershaw yesterday and he did confirm the fact that they are currently working on making the Vault Lock ambidextrous....hopefully they will succeed in doing so. We'll see.

------------------
Proud member of AKTI, NCCKG, NCKK, and SCAK

Dexter/Ken I have heard tell that another knife maker worked pretty hard on the design of the knife as well?

Rick Hinderer is a fellow BladeSmith and has an extensive background in folders and I was pretty sure he had some time put in on the Whisper?

Dex' or Ken?

G2

------------------
"The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions!"
Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

i was just checking out the kershaw site they have the wisper on there it says thay will be ready around 12/30 any further word on this anyone

------------------
Honey !!! were the hell is my Knife ??????

Back