Kershaw Tremor 1950

It's about time that I finally post a review on BF and this one is going to be about my brandnew Kershaw Tremor. I bought it online for a decent price (around 30 bucks) and even with shipping I still was way under the price that dealers want over here in Europe.

IMG_4678.jpg

1. Design
I first saw this knife on nutnfancy's channel and it was love at first sight. It is the combination of a great blade shape (I don't mind the recurve) and the curved handle that caught me. The color is of course Model T style (black!) but you have to keep the price in mind.

IMG_4677.jpg

2. Performance
The hollowground blade is a real cutter, I cut bread, meat, frozen pizza and a lot more with it and it worked out great. I also like the Speedsafe mechanism, it opens fast and the flipper is easy to reach. A big plus for me is the lack of any opening pin and hole that might get dirty through usage or block cuts close to the handle. The 8Cr13MoV steel is easy to sharpen and takes a great edge but lacks a lil' bit of edge retention...so nothing new here in the steel department.
The size of the Tremor is almost identical to a Spyderco Military (one of my favorite EDCs) and the Tremor has just joined this club. In some aspects it's even better than the Mili: tip-up carry, flipper and great price. :D But don't worry I'll keep my BG-42 Mili.

IMG_4684.jpg

IMG_4683.jpg

IMG_4686.jpg

3. Fit&finish
There's a little nick in one of the stonewashed liners and the blade is not perfectly centered..that's all I could find for negative aspects in this knife so far. The off-center blade seems to be part of the whole package, cause nutnfancy's knife also had that problem. After all, it's not an issue for me, the blade doesn't touch the liner and my Spyderco Militarys are not all perfectly centered anyway.
The lockup on the other hand is perfect, there's no bladeplay whatsoever and the knife came razorsharp from the factory.

IMG_4685.jpg

4. Conclusion
The Tremor for me came out of nowhere and is one of my favorite blades since I got it last week. Not many knives were able to do that, especially not cheap ones. As a Kershaw fan I feel confirmed that this brilliant company has a lot to offer if you like flippers! :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the review, I hadnt realized it was that sizeable a knife. I am definatley more interested seeing it compared to the military.

Thanks for the review, I hadnt realized it was that sizeable a knife. I am definatley more interested seeing it compared to the military.

Same, had no idea it was that big, might have to pick one up myself and give it a go.

-sh00ter

Nice review. I'm on a Kershaw kick lately myself. As for the uncentered blade, try tightening the pivot screw up super, super tight (don't strip it, but tighten it up way more than you normally would) and then loosen all of the grip screws. Put some paper or something in between the blade and the liner, forcing the blade over to the side it isn't too close to and then tighten up the grip screws again and lastly, back off and adjust the pivot screw. I've done this with several folders and it's centered every one so far perfectly.

Hi Morales -

Nice review, and cool knife!

I enjoyed reading your impressions and seeing the pictures.

best regards -

mqqn

Nice review. I'm on a Kershaw kick lately myself. As for the uncentered blade, try tightening the pivot screw up super, super tight (don't strip it, but tighten it up way more than you normally would) and then loosen all of the grip screws. Put some paper or something in between the blade and the liner, forcing the blade over to the side it isn't too close to and then tighten up the grip screws again and lastly, back off and adjust the pivot screw. I've done this with several folders and it's centered every one so far perfectly.
Thanks Sulaco, but for now I don't mind the uncentered blade and I'll keep the Tremor that way. Nonetheless your procedure appears to be verly useful and I will keep it in mind for my other knives where I want to change the blade position.

I assume it is polished, but I don't really know the different stages of stonewash finishes.

@all: Thanks for your kind words!

Glad to see you like it I've been very impressed with Kershaw's imported offerings lately and the Tremor looks like yet another winner.

After a few days of usage I found another little flaw in this knife. I haven't had any problems with it, but I want to be honest and not skip any details. So in closed position, the tip of the blade is just barely covered by the liners. If you run your finger along the liners with a little pressure you can feel it. Despite of that: The Tremor is a great knife and not just because of the price. The only thing that I might get changed someday are the black G10 handles...I need some color in my life!

IMG_20130319_104537.jpg

I've had my Tremor a couple of years. I also agree that it is a great folder and razor sharp ! The more you break it in the better it gets and the action/ lockup is solid. I lightly sanded the pocket clip to give it a more worn appearance and the blade on mine happens to be centered.

My own thread has been resurrected!! :eek: But hey, update is due anyway. For me the handle is my second most favorite one, right after the Spyderco Military. The scales are made of solid G10, which provide a decent amount of grip. For me the only downside is still the color, but I got used to it.

@PitchAndMoment: The knife on the bottom is a Boker Resurrection Gen.1, which still leads in my collection of Bokers in terms of ruggedness and fit&finish. It has been called the poor man's ZT300 by some... ;)

The ergos on the handle are fantastic. If they come out with a new model I would suggest putting the jimping in the recessed area on top of the handle just behind the blade instead of the liner lock.

I just picked my Tremor up on ebay for $19.00 shipped.Great knife and I love it.Good review.

that's a whole lotta knife for 20 bucks. i may have to pick this up next pay day. pics are awesome

Back