Kershaw

BH

I am not sure if this is the right place to place this post. I just wanted to tell everyone about the wonderful service of Kershaw knives. I received a Mini task knife through a trade. I read here on the forums that the lock tended to fail. I immediately tested it and sure enough it did. I sent it back to kershaw, and within a week they sent me a new one. After receiving it, it to had a bad lock. Becoming somewhat frustrated, I called them and they had UPS pick up the knife paid for. A few days later, a sales manager called me and offered to replace it with whatever I wanted. I selected the higher priced Random task, and it arrived about a week later. I think that this is very good customer service, and a way to get the bugs worked out of new products. I admire people that are willing to go the extra mile for a customer.

Thanks Kershaw
smile.gif

It's good to hear that Kershaw's customer service dept. takes care of problems in a timely manner.

I have owned several Mini-Tasks, and not one of them had a problem with the locking mechanism. But, I guess just like any other company, there are some knives that do not work as they should.

BTW, I carry a Mini-Task every day (I love them) and I have faith in them.

Are kershaw 1410 Ti knives any good, blade and Ti handles. I like the look but don't want to regret buying a junk knife. Thanks

It depends on the price that you are paying. I have had a few Kershaws in the past and the quality was a little below par. In their 99 retail price list it is listed at $109.00. I doubt that I would pay that for it but if you can get it for a reasonable price I don't think that you will by a bad using knife. If there is a defect in the workmanship, they should take care of you .(See my above post)
wink.gif
I admire Kershaw's willingness to take care of their customers, but I think that they need to work on quality control a little more on their products. Just my opinion.

Top Texas Knifes has them for $63. You think they are worth that but not $100. I bought a gerber ez-out jr about a month ago and duct tape will knock the edge off and I can't get a very good edge with my GATCO sharpener. My Buck Knife and SAK have much better edges (shave hair) after I sharpen them. Also does ATS-34 rust real bad, I would rather have to watch for rust than DULL knife.

Yes, ATS-34 will rust if not taken care of. Personally, I wouldn't buy that Knife at all. It all depends on what you want. Currently, I carry a Kershaw Random Task with a CPM 440V blade. This is my first experience with this steel. The blade is extremely sharp, the Hair jumps off of my arm. The satin finish on the Kershaw that you are talking about is less likely to rust than a bead blasted blade, although I have experienced rust on both Bead blast and satin finished ATS-34 blades. I carry a number of knives, it just so happens that right now it is a kershaw. Overall I am not too fond of Kershaw knives, I do like The Random Task that I carry so far. I am much more fond of a Microtech or Chris Reeve Sabenza. I guess that I am rambling and had better stop here. Again just my opinion

BH, Thanks for the information. I was looking for a poor mans sebenza, looks like the 1410, ain't it. I was also thinking of a spyderco rookie, what do you think about it. I just don't like the hole in the blade, but from the all the other people, they speak highly of spyderco products.

Randy,
If you are looking for a poor man's Sebenza, take a look at the Benchmade Pinnacle. Nice knife!

Just got back a mini-task last week. I had sent mine to them in mid March. I talked to Kershaw the first time and they said, "we got about a 3 week turn around time"...so I called at about 4.5 weeks they said, "we are going to replace yours with a new one
smile.gif
but, we can't get any past QC ."

Having lots of problems with them I guess. Anywho it's the new and improved mini-task and it works great. I'm glad they took the time and got it right.

Before I had sent it back it was my daily carry (liked it a lot) but while it was away I picked up a mini Cuda and I like it even better then the mini-task (opens quicker).

My experience with Kershaw wasn't quick but it was quality which is much more important.

Kershaw has worked real hard to make a custom quality knife at a reasonable price, and I havn't made it easy on them with the speed safe. Though the concept is simple enough it is difficult to make, and as a result we have made our share of mistakes and hopefully learned a great deal in the process. I personaly apologize for any inconvience caused by our early knives, and I want every one to know that we went back to the drawing board and eliminated the problems. Our handles are rounded, we advanced the cam for a smoother action, we switched to button-head torx screws on the belt clip, and changed the thumb stud to a knurled flat surface. The RT blade has been widened and is more proportionate to the handle, they are sharper than ever before and polished brighter than before. The lock-up is much more secure, and I'm proud to have my name on this knife.

Ken, It's good to see you as a Blade Forums member. Welcome aboard.

------------------
~Greg~

Randy, I have a full size EZ-Out I've had for about a year. No problem keeping an edge that shaves easily on it. Stands up pretty well too. I would check with Gerber, maybe yours is defective.

Hey look Ken Onion finally found the best knife place around.

Ken,

I have had numerous Mini-Tasks, and have found them to be a great knife. Unlike many others I have no problem with the slanted studs and I think that it makes the opening that much easier because your thumb auutomatically rides up and away from the blade.
There have been many people who have been cut when opening theses knives and that is because they are "riding" the blade out.
I have not had any defective locks nor quality control problems,maybe I am just lucky, who knows.
These knives are extremely quick to deploy and although they are not use and abuse knives that's just fine because they are not made for that purpose.
My only complaint is that the whole new line (Blizzard,Blackout,Whirlwind,etc) and especially the lefty models,will not be introduced until the Blade show.I have people waiting for these knives.

I have been carrying my random task for a while now and it has worked perfectly. Ken is right, they are extremely sharp and very comfortable in the hand. I think that this is a good knife to carry on an everyday basis for general cutting chores. Thanks Ken for the post, and letting us know that everything possible is being done to correct problems in a good knife.

Thanks for the welcome guys. Bear with me I have a hard enough time with pencil and paper. There seems to be a misconception out there about the RT it was never intended to be a tactical, it is a utility knife to be used for the various tasks the regular guy like myself needs to use a knife for,hence the name Random Task. We wanted to be politicaly correct when we offered the speed safe to the public. Thanks for all the support guys this internet thing is alot of fun.

Ken,

Now that we got your attention...Please explain exactly how the "Speed Safe" works.

I have not yet taken one apart and the reason for this is fear of not being able to get it back together.

Is the torsion spring under a great deal of tension? I picture it as a type of narrow flat steel attached to the top portion of the blade and then coiled around the front and attached to the bottom of the blade.

How close or how far off is this assessment?

Also, according to the Kershaw catalog the new Whirlwind and Black Out use the speed safe but the Blizzard does not. Why is that?
And why only 440A as blade material?

I do like the looks of the new knives, especially the Ricochet and Whirlwind.

Thanks

Back