Kershaw

Hi, Ken!

I'm glad to say that I just got two more Kershaw Speed-Safes, from recent production - a Random Task and a Mini Task, and, behold, they both work pretty much they way I'd want them to work. They snap open with authority, and they stay open against a moderate backwards slap against a book on my desk, and they don't wobble.

I called Kershaw to congratulate them on that, and they told me that the last three I sent up there are being replaced with new production. I'll give them an A+ for effort here.

I did notice the change in the thumb stud on the Random Task. The Mini Task still had the slanted thumb stud. For this kind of action, I think I like the slanted one better, but one cannot please everybody. I also thought that the new Random Task had less movement necessary to make the torsion gizmo take over. That actually makes me a little nervous. If I carry one, I think I definately want the spine of the blade positioned against the edge of my pocket.

The directions, at least in the new packages, tell you in bold letters to keep your thumb in contact with the handle when you push on the thumb stud, and not to try to push the blade all the way around as with a conventional one-hander. This is good advice. If you forget it, you will remember the next time.
wink.gif

Nifty knives, but possibly for advanced knife enthusiasts and not for somebody who picks up a Spyderco and tries to open it with two hands! One can say the same thing, of course, about any auto.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

Sorry Jailhack, there are eight ways to get the "speed safe" effect that I know of and once you understand the concept you will wonder why no one came up with it sooner.I'ts difficult to explain without visual aids but i'll try.With your favorite knife on your hand and blade closed imagine a straight line from center of pivot to the middle of the back of your handle. Now imagine an over center link or cam.If you drilled a hole in the blade just under the center of this line and forward pressure were applied the blade would not open, pressure would be holding the blade against the stop pin.Now as you lift the blade open via the thumb stud and you lift the over center pin well,over center the blade will be forced open wallah "speed safe" I hope this is helpful in understanding the mechanism. Just remember it cost me a whole hell of alot to patent this thing so please respect that and don't knock me off I've been watching the Power Rangers and picking up some pointers don't make me test them out on ya!! James the thumb stud on the rt were changed because folks were saying they were getting an owee on there thumb and they were scratching there hand on it when they reached in there pockets.We are just trying to make everyone happy. Aloha! Ken

Ken,

It's the simple things that sometimes work out to be the best things. I understand your explanation and I wish you all the good luck and fortune that comes with the invention.

Ken - hello. 'bout time. This is a great group. They're all a little strange (except you & me). The intimate strangers of the net forums. a Star Trek meeting of the minds.
sal

Thanks Sal, May the force be with you to.
Jailhack, thanks for the kind words you are truely a gentleman.
Aloha! Ken

Sorry for the numerous posts I just forgot to thank my good buddy James for that wonderful review of the mini and random task it feels good to here that all the hard work is paying off and that it is bieng appreciated, thanks again Jim.
I"ll admit the "speed safe" mechanism is not for everyone,however once you get used to it you will have a hard time using any thing else eccept maybe that wonderful new Spyderco/Centofante folder(great knife Sal)

Just got my Random Task back from Kershaw warranty repair. The clip screws were backing out and the blade hesitated a little when open. Both problem are fixed and I've noticed something else. The nylon washers has been replaced with a metal one and a number of screws has been replaced with torx type.

Here is my gripe. I spent a lot of time putting a convex Moran type edge on my knife. It was shaving sharp when I sent it in. Some one at Kershaw decided to resharpen my knife and put an uneven, straight bevel, non shaving sharp edge back on my knife. Not only that, the blade is now narrower due to the new crappy edge. Now I am P.O.

I don't suppose there is a knife similar to the RT WITHOUT the speed-safe? I have done lots of practicing at work (I sell knives, and it gets slow!!!) to open the different knives. I can now open a non-assist knive (especially my G-10 Hawk) faster than the Whirlwind/Black-out.

I have a RT and the liner doesn't engage all the way and has play in it when opened. I have e-mailed Kershaw twice and still no reply. What do you suggest I do? Send the knife in with an explanation of what is wrong with the knife? If any one can give me any information on what to do I would be more than happy. -CL

Layton ,

Yes ! send it to Kershaw with a discription of the problem .They are more than willing to do whatever it takes to make you happy. If they don't Let me know and I'll intervene.

Aloha!!! Ken Onion

OK thanks! I'll get it out soon. -CL

------------------
Ideas must work through the brains and the arms of good and brave men, or they are no better than dreams.

Back