Khukri sheath #2 W.I.P. *Picture Heavy!!* - Update 3 is live

wildmanh

Part time Leather Bender/Sheath maker
Here's the Khukri sheath WIP thread that I've been promising. Follow along as I build a custom Khukri sheath for a fellow Khukri nut. This sheath will have a D-ring and Dangler like the 1st sheath that I posted. Also tooling and knife piggybacked off the front, if I can design a slim enough sheath to fit.

The patterns for the body and welt are cut out. I cut them out over sized, then trim them down with my belt sander. It's sometimes comes out smoother then what I can cut cardboard by hand.
wip_01_med.JPG

Both patterns all cut and trimmed, with the Khukri to show the approximate fit. Tools of the trade and the piggy back knife also shown.
wip_02_med.JPG

Another shot showing the fit.
wip_03_med.JPG

*** Update #1 ***

wip_04_med.JPG

wip_05_med.JPG

wip_06_med.JPG

wip_07_med.JPG

wip_08_med.JPG

wip_09_med.JPG

wip_10_med.JPG

wip_11_med.JPG

wip_12_med.JPG

wip_13_med.JPG

wip_14_med.JPG

wip_15_med.JPG

wip_16_med.JPG

wip_17_med.JPG

wip_18_med.JPG

wip_19_med.JPG

wip_20_med.JPG

** Update 2 **

wip_21_med.JPG

wip_22_med.JPG

wip_23_med.JPG

wip_24_med.JPG

wip_25_med.JPG

wip_26_med.JPG

wip_27_med.JPG

wip_28_med.JPG

wip_29_med.JPG

wip_30_med.JPG

** Update 3 **

wip_31_med.JPG

wip_32_med.JPG

wip_34_med.JPG

wip_35_med.JPG

wip_36_med.JPG

wip_37_med.JPG

wip_38_med.JPG

wip_39_med.JPG

wip_40_med.JPG

wip_41_med.JPG

wip_42_med.JPG

wip_43_med.JPG

wip_44_med.JPG

wip_45_med.JPG

wip_46_med.JPG

wip_47_med.JPG

wip_48_med.JPG

wip_49_med.JPG

Sorry for the slowness of the last update. Sheath took a while to fit properly. Things were way to tight!! Plus, I didn't have a camera for 4 days. Doh! Sheath is all but done, I just need to build and fit the keeper strap.

Last edited:
The Kukri is an 18" 30oz curved spine kukri by Thamar. It has a distinctly vintage feel to it.

The companion knife is a 5160 Piasu forged by hand by none other than our own JW Bensinger. It's a frighteningly sharp do it all kind of blade. It will be my Karda for this new rig.

Heber does great work (I have a tomahawk sheath by him) and I jumped at the chance to get a custom rig by him.

My Thamar curved spine is one of my favorite khuks hands down. I love the distinct vintage feel and the overall curve. Just a sweet sweet knife.

I heard a rumor that Bookie is rather fond of his curved spine too. Must be a pandemic or something.

You'll love it. Heber does excellent work.

Thanks!

Looks awesome already :)

LOL! Thanks!

The Kukri is an 18" 30oz curved spine kukri by Thamar. It has a distinctly vintage feel to it.

The companion knife is a 5160 Piasu forged by hand by none other than our own JW Bensinger. It's a frighteningly sharp do it all kind of blade. It will be my Karda for this new rig.

Heber does great work (I have a tomahawk sheath by him) and I jumped at the chance to get a custom rig by him.

Thanks for sharing the information on the knives with us. :)

My Thamar curved spine is one of my favorite khuks hands down. I love the distinct vintage feel and the overall curve. Just a sweet sweet knife.

I heard a rumor that Bookie is rather fond of his curved spine too. Must be a pandemic or something.

Thanks Joe!

The thamar curved spine is top of my wish list, such a gorgeous blade. You guys are so lucky to get one >_< pretty much pulled the trigger on the M43 on the dotd cause of its over all curve lol

Looking good man. I pretty much work up the same way im just to lazy to post pics, so thanks for showing. Now you guys see why it is so important to send your khuks to us for the work, there is too many differences between each blade to get an exact fit, and the partial front is the best way to do a khuk IMHO as it is much smaller and profiles less, and make it easier to draw.

Woohoo, Another WIP photo story, I love these. Looking forward to seeing it progress. Too bad we don't have smell-vision. I will have to grab one of my old holsters or the sheath from my IBBB and breath in the smell of the leather so I feel like I am right there :D Leather, TW25B and burnt WC844 distinct smells that evoke tons of memories.

Yep Bawanna, I can't do CLP. to me it cleans well but doesn't Lube or Protect all that great. TW25B and I see a LOT less wear. Plus it doesn't suck up the dirt and grit like CLP which seems to be a sand magnet.

I like Lubriplate myself. Works on my M1 and my SIG. I've considered trying it on my 1911 and my AR-15. I know there's debate over using something thick on ARs, but I want to experiment.

Hopes #9 works for me. Gun talk in a Khukri and leather thread, why am I not surprised? he he he.

My fault Wildmanh don't think it means we aren't eagerly awaiting your next update. We ARE! The side discussion was but a brief sidestep while we wait.

But it is interesting how many of us enjoy similar things and sharing info related to our hobbies and interests

No problem Shavru. After reading about lubes and such, I was temped to take pictures of some Khukri's and guns. But of course, I forgot to. LOL!!

I used Lubriplate on working 1911s and ARs for years. A lot of folks have used it on 1911s. It works fine.

I was at the range with a 1911 lubricated with Lubriplate in sub-zero (-15 to -20) temps. When I ran the slide to load, the slide moved back to battery SLOWLY. Still locked up, and from the first shot to the last, it functioned fine. Between drills, I ran to the warm shack to load mags and warm up. The guns stayed out. Not a single issue with the 1911.

I can't say the same for me. :)

A 1911 should be loved and caressed and kept close to the body. Keeps it warm and helps keep me warm and safe too.

The warm shack sounds like the place to be.

Do love me 1911's.

Back