Khukuri Designs - thoughts?

Originally posted by Bill Martino
What about this one?

WOW!! :eek: :eek:

Where can I get one of those? (I've been meaning to pose this question for a long time - but didn't want to offend the fixed blade lovin' crowd)

Dan

Bill's Folding Khukuri was custom made by Ray Beers. You can reach him at 863-696-3036 (Winter), or 410-472-2229 (Summer).

Here is a rare production version by BlackJack Knives.

n2s

Attachments

• blackjack folding khukuri.jpg
    blackjack folding khukuri.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 257
This one is pretty close to your design. OAL is only 10" with a 5.5" blade.

attachment.php

what are the specs on your khuk folder Uncle Bill and how old is it? What is the blade steel?

I have to get one of these!!!!!!:)

I can't remember the age exactly 8 or 10 years. I'll have to ask the dust bunnies if I can use it for specs. They are stubborn and uncooperative.

The Beers knife is shown on page 69 of Knives 1992 (12th annual edition) :)

Nice design Pendentive. I would buy one since the PGAs that I want only go up when I'm at work.:D

Hey Pendentive
I've been working on the 3d kukri, and I just got 3d studio installed. Do you know if 3ds can make reflective surfaces? The rhino drawing I'm making is dull looking.

Originally posted by Abear
Hey Pendentive
I've been working on the 3d kukri, and I just got 3d studio installed. Do you know if 3ds can make reflective surfaces? The rhino drawing I'm making is dull looking.

Use the Material Editor in 3D Studio Max to get the reflective surface you want.

Uncle Bill,

I think the general consensus is that the First Design is preferred (though, I still like the 3rd one most). I agree with not2sharp = 3/16" stock would be better.

I have someone that will be able to make a wood model for me and there are 4 takers and a maybe. (I'll buy 2 if you like)

Would this be an HI production or a villager?

Dan

I like the third design better, but I'll buy one of whatever gets produced...

Five takers and we'll give it a try. Stick to standard HI and remember the kamis may use the blueprint to stoke the forge. No guaranteed without a wood model.

Originally posted by Bill Martino
Don't start sending money yet.

hey...why not?

Just write your check out to the PKF (Perputual Knife Fund) and send it to me.:D:D I'll make sure it gets spent...er, put away in some nice place (like a jar in the backyard).:D

I'm finishing up the knife design in CAD - trying to tighten up the edges a little bit. I'll post the result next week and try and get a 3D model built and rendered.

Then, once the wood model is finished, I'll send it off to Uncle Bill as forge fodder for the Kamis.:D

Dan

If I can make it to Nepal for Christmas we'll get all these things done for sure -- even if they use prints and wood models for forge fodder. That's how I got the katana and the first BirGorkha done.

Uncle Bill,

What's the chance of getting just one as a "villager" version first? - just to test the blade size and proportions. (at my expense)

I really like the 13.5" bulldog villager you sent me. It's "almost there" in terms of fitting the design ideas. If I had a 12" Bulldog (15-16 oz. villager) in my hand it would make the design process more efficient.

Then later we can make a full prototype with carvings, etchings, etc. to send off to the Kamis for their approval (or prompt rejection:)).

Here's where I'm going with this:

This 12" model would be a quick make that would pull in the Bowie crowd (admitted big-knife-lovers) without offending (I hope) the regulars. The decorative handle would be a "Nepal Pride" mark to show morale. It could have the potential of a collectors piece without breaking the buyer's bank account.

Dan

Hey Bill,

What I'd *REALLY* like to see is a 12" AK/BAS-style Khuk, 1/2" thick. Wonder how it would cut with the rest... :)

Any comments? Anybody know how it would perform?

Back