Khukuri Designs - thoughts?

What I'd *REALLY* like to see is a 12" AK/BAS-style Khuk, 1/2" thick. Wonder how it would cut with the rest...

They are 1/2" thick; or close to it. :)

n2s

Uncle Bill,

Here's a design for a basic villager. It is pretty close to life size and is printable. What's the preferred method for transmitting the drawing? (blueprint, photocopy, etched into glass, scribbled on toilet paper, etc., etc.)

Let me know - I'll print one out and send it your way.

**HINT - blueprints really stink when you burn 'em...might be a deterrent?!?:D:D

Dan

The print shows a double edge. Is this what you want? Also, what handle material. No habaki style bolster? Need dimensions. Also a couple of cross sections.

Uncle Bill,

Basic Idea = cheap as you can get it (for testing).
Plain wood handle (cheaper than horn?), plain bolster, unfinished blade, etc.

I'm uploading a few new images with and without dimensions. No double edge for now. Habaki = yes.

Let me know if you need more drawings, dimensions, or cross sections.
Once the dust has settled on this, I would be happy to print
a few copies (at exact scale) and mail them to you.

(please keep in mind that your monitor may enlarge/distort
the images and they may not be perfectly to scale.)

design05a.gif

With dimensions = top number in inches, bottom in millimeters.
design05c.gif

Keep us posted. There seems to be a fair amount of interest. Hope it pays off in the end for HI.

Dan

My guess is we'll never see it in steel without a model but it will be fun to see what they say and ask.

Even just a 12" Bulldog Villager would be fun to have. Maybe it could be named the "Pug":D:D

I know at least one person that would be interested...:D :eek: :p

Uncle Bill,

I redid the drawing with the dimensions to make it more readable. Hope it helps.

Dan

Any takers on making a wood model?

Dan

Looks like N2S! well, like N2S's avatar, anyhow.

According to the wife you are right on both counts. :D

Let's see how this one turns out. There would probably be a good market for a slightly thinner (1/4") HI Khukuri. Put a convexed edge on it, and a good temper, and you have the makings of an excellent backpacking knife.

n2s

Originally posted by not2sharp
There would probably be a good market for a slightly thinner (1/4") HI Khukuri. Put a convexed edge on it, and a good temper, and you have the makings of an excellent backpacking knife.

You must have read my mind.

I'm an avid backpacker and this would be a winner in my pack and allow me to toss my bowie out the window!:D

Dan

..and which window should I be waiting by for the bowie, then Pendentive? Please toss it sheathed, I don't wanna get hurt!

Keith

Originally posted by Ferrous Wheel
..and which window should I be waiting by for the bowie, then Pendentive? Please toss it sheathed, I don't wanna get hurt!

You also don't want to get poked by the rusted-out, cheap-lookin, beat-to-heck, sharpened-way-too-many times blade either!

I sure wish I had had a Khukuri when I was in Guate. It would have cut some of my work projects in half! Literally!:D:D

The villager Uncle Bill sent me a few weeks ago is going in to my backpack. It's about 1/2'" thick, much like the bulldogs that've been showing up lately.

Blade is interesting - shallow fuller, otherwise it would be flat-ground. It tapers very evenly from 1/2" at the spine to a very sharp edge.

Another bulldog trait - the spine is straight, but the edge is doglegged. It cants off to the right like someone bent it clockwise in a vise.

I know I'm not strong enough to bend that much steel, so
either it was forged that way, or I got a Cliff Stamp tester. :D

Originally posted by pendentive
Any takers on making a wood model?

Dan

Nope, but I like the design so much I'll take a Khukuri when they come out. :)

Originally posted by Bill Martino
This khukuri is too small to sell well.

I have to agree with Bill, but it will fill a niche and make a few customers happy and that makes the effort very worthwhile IMO.
Size for size I think my CS Trailmaster chops better than the small khuks do, But the little khuks split wood better as they're generally a little thicker than the Trailmaster.
I still like what Dan has put together although it's not for me unless as a novelty.

Back