• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Kinda not happy with a knife maker

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all about new orders and forgetting the previous customers. Guys like that last as long as folks keep buying their knives (and there's more than a few of them out there still operating on a shoestring). I put makers like that on my do not buy list, the same with folks that ask for deposits.

The "keeping the lights on" comment is not exactly reassuring to hear. I'd ask for my money back. If no results I'd out them in the GB&U forum.
It just might come that. / making public. But I’m giving them a chance to make it right and hope they do. But I already will not be going back for more. I am suprised leviathan finish didn’t ring a bell already with anyone.

I really think you owe it to the BF community to put the makers name out. :mad: You asked for advice and it was given; now it is your turn. :rolleyes: Having done so (I hope) this should be moved to GB&U so researchers can see it. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Unfortunately this is not an extremely rare trait in craftsmen-underestimate time frames or just tell the customer what they think they want to hear, then fail to deliver. They also often go silent if you keep asking them about it. It's not a good trait, but I have come across it time and again. They may just take a little more time or they may just keep kicking the can down the road(hopefully not). I suggest you continue to try to establish contact in a polite form, then show as much patients as you can waiting. Hopefully you will get your finished knife back which is the goal now. At that time you can blast the maker and determine never to do business with them again, but right now you need to get the knife done.
That's my opinion and I certainly understand your frustration.

I am suprised leviathan finish didn’t ring a bell already with anyone.

I googled it to no avail. A popular image based social media platform revealed a maker, not one I'm familiar with but certainly one I've heard of.

Generally speaking I am willing to wait longer for spa treatment type service but when it comes to Warranty related issue it should be a priority because its their fault not yours. They should have accommodated accordingly and you are not unreasonable.

I don’t want to put a bad name on the makers. Waiting for their latest response. If it isn’t a good one then it will come to posting their name along with a review. I promise

This sort of thing seems to be more and more common. Gives me pause when dealing with a lot of up and coming custom makers (and even some well established ones), I know their reputation for dealing with issues in a timely manner is worth its weight in gold to me.

Often now I will buy customs from dealers just so I have the no questions asked return, or I leverage them to deal with the maker on my behalf if there is an issue that needs fixing. Trouble is you normally don't get to 'customise' the knife when you take this approach.

Hope it gets sorted mate!!

I don’t want to put a bad name on the makers. Waiting for their latest response. If it isn’t a good one then it will come to posting their name along with a review. I promise

I have to agree that you are being quite the patient, understanding, forgiving gentleman in this particular situation. Unfortunately, being a talented technician or craftsman doesn't make one a good businessman. Once you hang out your shingle announcing to all that you are indeed a "business", and you better learn how to be one.

I am in an industry that employs all manner of craftsmen, folks that don't understand what it takes to be a successful business. Their artistry and build quality get them noticed, and with a flood of service requests they decide to take the plunge into self employment. Only after a couple of years of it do you understand all that you don't know. (Me... 35 of it.)

By hanging out your sign you have accepted the responsibility that you will provide certain goods and services, a quality finished product or repair, and that you will stand behind your work. I have started 4 businesses, all successful to some degree, but never once has ANY client ever given me a pass because I was "overwhelmed with other work".

Too many craftsmen realize too late how the dynamics of a client/customer relationship change when someone isn't just buying something you made over a couple of weekends and sold for a few bucks as opposed to someone you don't know, never met, might never meet that trusted you with their hard earned dollars to perform a certain task or provide a certain product.

Generally speaking, I have found that people are pretty fair about mistakes and problems as long as they are remedied immediately. As a consumer, I don't want to feel that the most important thing that determined our relationship was that the vendor got my money, and that I was now relegated to his customer service being "when I finish up this other stuff". As a service and end product provider, all of my previous (think "word of mouth advertising here) clients get top priority when they call, and I literally will drop what I am doing or cancel appts. if I need to for a customer service issue.

Personally, I would ask for my money back. I don't think that is unreasonable as the vendor in question has not provided the quality build on the product you purchased at a pretty high price. Next, he has failed to warrant his work in a timely fashion. And now it appears you are not hearing from him any longer. In my mind, all grounds for a refund.

Robert

I don’t need a refund. I want the knife I paid for fixed. I’ve already owned it. It’s not like I’m waiting for a knife to be made for me. It only needed a very small amount of warranty work.
As you can see, once you post on the forum it becomes a big deal. Eventually you need to reveal the maker here so others can take that into consideration on future orders.

I have to agree that you are being quite the patient, understanding, forgiving gentleman in this particular situation. Unfortunately, being a talented technician or craftsman doesn't make one a good businessman. Once you hang out your shingle announcing to all that you are indeed a "business", and you better learn how to be one.

I am in an industry that employs all manner of craftsmen, folks that don't understand what it takes to be a successful business. Their artistry and build quality get them noticed, and with a flood of service requests they decide to take the plunge into self employment. Only after a couple of years of it do you understand all that you don't know. (Me... 35 of it.)

By hanging out your sign you have accepted the responsibility that you will provide certain goods and services, a quality finished product or repair, and that you will stand behind your work. I have started 4 businesses, all successful to some degree, but never once has ANY client ever given me a pass because I was "overwhelmed with other work".

Too many craftsmen realize too late how the dynamics of a client/customer relationship change when someone isn't just buying something you made over a couple of weekends and sold for a few bucks as opposed to someone you don't know, never met, might never meet that trusted you with their hard earned dollars to perform a certain task or provide a certain product.

Generally speaking, I have found that people are pretty fair about mistakes and problems as long as they are remedied immediately. As a consumer, I don't want to feel that the most important thing that determined our relationship was that the vendor got my money, and that I was now relegated to his customer service being "when I finish up this other stuff". As a service and end product provider, all of my previous (think "word of mouth advertising here) clients get top priority when they call, and I literally will drop what I am doing or cancel appts. if I need to for a customer service issue.

Personally, I would ask for my money back. I don't think that is unreasonable as the vendor in question has not provided the quality build on the product you purchased at a pretty high price. Next, he has failed to warrant his work in a timely fashion. And now it appears you are not hearing from him any longer. In my mind, all grounds for a refund.

Robert
Very well said. this is a masterblaster colaboration. They did almost a year ago with. It’s considered a used knife I don’t feel like they owe me my money back at this present time. Just to stand by their word is all. I appreciate everyone’s compliments, advice and agreeance. I’m going to pause this thread for now and get back to it when theyve replied to let everyone at least know how it turned out and what they did to resolve this. Thank you all.

As you can see, once you post on the forum it becomes a big deal. Eventually you need to reveal the maker here so others can take that into consideration on future orders.
And like I said I will. read all the comments please. I’m waiting for an outcome before I do that

I really think you owe it to the BF community to put the makers name out. :mad: You asked for advice and it was given; now it is your turn. :rolleyes: Having done so (I hope) this should be moved to GB&U so researchers can see it. :thumbsup:

If I feel they deserve to be put in the spotlight negatively I will. It is not at that point yet. Settle down. I have spoken back and replied to almost every comment. If that’s not enough for you at this point I am sorry. Like others have said, not mentioning a name is simply me trying to be kind to the maker even if they might not deserve it. You don’t go destroying a makers reputation over something like this. Their late on a time estimate and not communicating the best. I simply wanted a few opinions just so i know I’m not being unreasonable. I received that and said Thank you. I will post an outcome when I hear back from them or what happens next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back