Kinfe for 11yr old

I would agree with a Buck 112. It sounds like it's the right size and speed you want for him and the LT and Slim versions give you some options.

My son is 11, he carries a RAT-2. He has an Alox Pioneer that he doesn’t like, and he’s been eyeballing my Opinel No. 7 lately and wants me to buy him one.

This is my Case Tribal Lock. $52 new in beautiful yellow Delrin.

IMG-20181012-233751.jpg

Pocket slip not included.

I was going to suggest the Tribal Lock also. Good size and heft, but thinner and lighter than a 112, and the mid-lock is both secure and easy to operate. Mine is yellow Delrin also, and it's a good looking, rugged knife.

If you want something smaller, how about the Buck 500 series? The 503 Prince is a nice size and the 501 Squire is just a bit larger.

I think the drop point on all three of these makes for a good looking knife.

Last edited:
The issue I found with my kids at that age was a lack of hand strength and coordination. There was no way he would operate most locking mechanisms safely.

I also wanted to teach him how to safely close a knife and not to rely on a lock.

His first knife was an Opinel 6 which has no spring this no way to snap shut.

When he became proficient with that he moved to a slip joint.

I didn't give him a lockback (Buck) until he demonstrated command of the slip joint.

I would say, Opinel, SAK/Sodbuster and lockback in that order.

Oh, boys from 8 to 18 loose bats, soccer cleats, calculators, keys, homework and just about anything else. I didn't give my kid a knife worth more than $20 or so. I would now. But he's older.

It doesn't fit some of your criteria, but my son just got a Kershaw launch 4 for his 10th birthday and likes it a lot.

Tenacious is probably too big for an 11 year old.

Will your son carry the knife in his pocket or on his belt? (if he wears a belt). If in his pocket, then perhaps a Buck 112 is going to be too heavy and drag his pants down. Obviously he can get the lighter version tho

I like the idea of what has been suggested where you filter things out on a website and then ask him what he thinks of what is displayed. That's probably the best way to make sure he isn't disappointed

Buck 110 and rat 2 are what come to mind to me. spyderco Native 5 is a great option and something he could grow into, my favorite EDC next to my mini-grip and the FFG can tear up some wood still. Spyderco Delica would be a great options as well.

I think the spyderco byrd line would be a good call too. No idea what the locking SAK's go for but I know the standard SAK's are pretty reasonable. Kershaw has a lot of good stuff for the price but I think you're going to be looking at a lot of liner locks and flipper-assist.

Based on the outdoor uses mentioned I'm going to recommend a fixed blade mora because I think they're great starter knives and they're designed for what you'r using the knife for. The companions come in a bunch of colors too so maybe get something that tickles his eyes a little, I liked the orange one before gifting it away and getting a classic to play around with modding the wooden handles.

This is specific to the rat 2, I don't think the D2 version would be a good as they take a bit of work to sharpen. AUS-8 is forgiving and he'll see reward for his efforts better and it's easier to correct bad angles.

Boker's plus line has some good stuff and they have some nice classic looking designs. AG Russell has some decent stuff too and they have several of the classic lockback designs you're considering. I think their prices are fair for their traditionals but some of the designs seems a bit pricey. They're only available on AG's website that I'm aware of.

The Buck 112 and 110 were the first knives to come to mind, as well as any SAK. The SAKs with the alox scales are probably best suited in size and weight for a young boy.

But, just to name something different, I am going to name the EKA swede 8 in Bubinga:

ek-605608$01-eka-swede-8-ek-605608-d1.jpg

That's a lotta knife for €32,-

SAK or Dragonfly. He can build coordination and control with these, and move on to more substantial knives when he's older and has stronger hands.

My choice for a 11 year old would be a Cabela's Mini Multitool for $5.99. It has lots of things to play with and great when camping, easy to carry. Buy two because he will probably lose the first one.

A small Opinel is a good choice. I started my grandson on a No.7 Inox at age 5. He hasn’t bonded with the Recruit I gave him, but he uses the heck out of the Marttiini Little Classic.

Penny knives / friction folders might work for folks who are a little uneasy when it comes to opening and shutting back spring folders ...

I'd go with a classic patterned slippie like a stockman or trapper. Not being dependent on a lock to keep from injuring yourself is a good skill to have. I still treat my locking folders as slippes when I use them.

When my son was younger, I would let him look at and handle my knives. When doing certain tasks, I'd hand him one to try. after a while he would ask me if he could use specific ones. This gave me an idea of what he liked as far as future gifts etc. I gave him several knives that are a classic design like a stockman, trapper and a toothpick mostly to have in his collection. His favorites are actually two of the Kershaw assisted opening knives: the Amplitude and an Al Mar. I liked his Al Mar a lot, so I had to get one.

Make sure that you start him on his sharpening skills too.

Ric

If it were my son, I would get a Victorinox SAK; Probably would be a Tinker or Pioneer model. There are a lot of different scales for the Tinkers that are sold at the various dealers which makes the knife fun.

Although slightly over $50, the Spyderco Delica is always a good choice and immensely popular.

Buck selkirk series would be a great option. Small and big folder and fixed blades intended for woods/trail use. They should be very affordable and look nice, IMO.

This is the OP. I’m very grateful for all the ideas, suggestions and advice on size, heft, maybe not starting with a locking knife, giving him some options, etc. I’ve been looking up all the knives suggested and keeping track. Thank you! I’ll let you know how this turns out :)

Buck 112 would get my vote. 110’s a bit large for an 11 year old, both in size and weight. I mean the 112 isn’t much better, actually... if you can find one the Smoke Jumper sounds perfect! FRN, back lock, CPM 154. What’s not to love? For roughly $50 it’s not overly expensive, and we all know how much abuse a 110 will withstand.

I grew into my Buck 110 (actually a Kabar since that's what the local 'feed' stores and Walmart sold at the time). I did live on a farm so, the larger blade really made a lot of sense for me and how I used it (baler twine is tough stuff ;)).

But, just to name something different, I am going to name the EKA swede 8 in Bubinga:

ek-605608$01-eka-swede-8-ek-605608-d1.jpg

That's a lotta knife for €32,-

That looks like a really nice knife for ME! While I don't really need another knife right now, my next axe order from Lamnia is probably going to include one!

For all the Opinel mentions, the "Garden" knife handle profile was a real surprise to me. I've had several of the standard Opinel knives over the years and never really bonded with them. They were good knives but, the handle just didn't do it for me. Fancy wood didn't change that eighter. ;)

I ended up with what I think is a #7 "Garden" knife (could be a 6 or 8? :oops:) and find that while a bit unconventional, is really nice for everyday normal uses.

Back