Kinfe for 11yr old

Scouts in Canada can carry a fixed blade starting at Scout age (11 to 14). At Cub Scout age (8 to 10) they can only carry a folding knife.

My two favorite knives for this use are the CRKT Lake-111 and 111-Z, and the Leatherman Crater C33 and C33x

Here is a video I did which covers some knives and criteria in choosing one for a youth

How about a spyderco efficient, about 40 bucks and with 8cr13mov sharpening won't be a problem

Perhaps one of those childrens SAKs that have a rounded tip? Or maybe a knife with a sheepsfoot that doesn’t have a tip condusive to poking ond’s self?

Maybe a coldsteel Tufflite?

KaBar Dozier, Rat, Tenacious.
Or, a Buck 285 Bantam. Chosen by KSF as an appropriate kids knife, and I might agree.

Swiss army classic. I give em to kids in my family as the first knife. Small blade that can't be used as a play toy weapon, scissors, tweezer, toothpick, nail file to teach him grooming, cheap so if lost - no problem. Adults won't freak and he can't get in too much troble if it accidently makes its way to school. Put it on paracord or a leather lace and he can carry it around his neck.

Second knife, Spyderco Delica. Best EDC for a kid. But if you live where knives are restricted, an Opinel is good too.

Buy it used if you can, then if it's lost it's not a big deal. Teaches him that possessions are transitory in life and new is not always best.

Perhaps one of those childrens SAKs that have a rounded tip? Or maybe a knife with a sheepsfoot that doesn’t have a tip condusive to poking ond’s self?

Maybe a coldsteel Tufflite?
Yes a Sheepsfoot, blunt point and easy to sharpen also.

Hello.

My son is asking for his own knife for his 11th birthday. The knife he has now was won at a carnival. While he was proud of it then, he’s out grown the quality. What recommendations do you have with these criteria:

-Manual open. He thinks my assisted open and flipper or axis lock knives are cool (leek, mini grip) but he doesn’t think he’s ready for that. So a thumb hole or nail notch is preferable.
-Locking. I think it’s safer. He doesn’t seem very confident in my frame lock, so maybe an older style back lock?
-Used for whittling sticks, cutting twine or paracord, scout stuff.
-<$50, used is fine
-Decent enough steel for him to sharpen easily
-“typical” EDC length. ~3”

Ideas?

Mine was a kabar issue knife, and wished I had not finally broken it 5yrs later. It was a dream knife for a boy.

I already had enough experience with points by then, and if safe with scissors then safe with a knife, and my folks did not saddle me with their own wishes.

I wanted a big knife, one I could throw, even, and got it.

Buck 110 if he's big enough or you want him to grow in to it or the 112. solid lock back would be safer, or some one who says there is one better than the standard lock back. (I heard there are but can't think of who makes them)

And a multi-tool would be another good thing to go with it.

A SAK like the tinker for a first good knife, used off an auction site would be perfect. Then move to a Kabar Dozier, every time I pick mine up I smile at the value, they can be had for $17 shipped! I received my first single blade slip joint knife at 5 for Christmas from Grandma an actual farmers wife☺️. At 11 I carried a Spyderco Endura gen 1. Trusted only after keeping track of my other knives for years.

Scouts in Canada can carry a fixed blade starting at Scout age (11 to 14). At Cub Scout age (8 to 10) they can only carry a folding knife.

My two favorite knives for this use are the CRKT Lake-111 and 111-Z, and the Leatherman Crater C33 and C33x

Here is a video I did which covers some knives and criteria in choosing one for a youth

This seems backwards to me. Fixed blades are just simpler to use, IMO. Is it a blade length thing, as folders tend to be smaller? Maybe I'm thinking about it all wrong. I know when I was young I got a victorinox and it took me a few cuts on the fingers to realize that you shouldn't use the tip because the knife doesn't lock and and the spear point pushes the knife shut easily if you slip. I'm not saying I was using right but fixed blades are more forgiving in that regard.

My son has a Victorinox Evogrip S18, with locking blade. He got it when he was 11 too.

PXRvUck.jpg

Holy smokes, really!? Cheapest Native’s I’ve ever seen were at least $80+. I’m about to drive up to my Walmart if that’s true, haha.
In my experience, you haven't been able to buy a Native at Wally World in several years!

At 11, he's probably read for Scouts (or a similar program!) and they usually will recommend a SAK in your choice of flavor. When my Arrow of Light boys completed their year, I would give out Buck Bantams. A solid, American-made inexpensive knife, and they always went over well.

My choice for a 11 year old would be a Cabela's Mini Multitool for $5.99. It has lots of things to play with and great when camping, easy to carry. Buy two because he will probably lose the first one.
I
My choice for a 11 year old would be a Cabela's Mini Multitool for $5.99. It has lots of things to play with and great when camping, easy to carry. Buy two because he will probably lose the first one.

I wouldn't recommend this one for kids. I have one I mostly use on vacation. While goofing around with kids the belt pouch easily shredded off my belt. After a couple years of use the scissors won't stay closed and it tries to bite me through my pocket. SAK or maybe a Buck Prince?

The issue I found with my kids at that age was a lack of hand strength and coordination. There was no way he would operate most locking mechanisms safely.
His first knife was an Opinel 6 which has no spring this no way to snap shut.

The point about SAFELY OPERATING LOCKING MECHANISMS is key here. I think that Pinnah nailed it.

And if someone is considering Opinels as first / safer to operate knives, you should be aware that there is one particular model called MY FIRST OPINEL which is meant for kids. Safe in the way that it doesn't have a pointy tip, but a rounded one instead. That is, you can cut all your tendons with one swipe if you desired, but at least you will not be able to stab yourself!

With the same line of thinking... I got my daugther a Mora Safe (carbon steeel, blunt square tip)... but she is not 5 years old yet and only uses it under strict supervision for kitchen duty, food prep, etc.

Her first folder in the future will probably be one Opiniel.

Mikel

Buck Rival, available in 3 blade lengths. Light, inexpensive, simple back lock.

364 Rival I is 2 3/4"
365 Rival II is 3 1/8"
366 Rival III is 3 5/8"

Get him a scout pattern or SAK and a No. 6 Opinel.

Seconded on this recommendation.

The Opinel locks, but is easy to use. The SAK is high quality and stainless plus tools. For the Opinel, their stainless holds a bit better edge, and is less maintenance, which for kiddies is important.

Back