Kit Carson Model 4 owners....whats your opinion?

ARtsig1

Banned
Hello folks. I just ordered a Carson model 4 from Les Robertson and wanted to get some current opinions of Model 4 owners. In the past I have owned several of these knives and ALWAYS found them to be at the top of the pack. I have been looking for one and finally found one at Les's site. Needless to say I jumped on it! Now I just want to se what some others think about Mr. Carsons folders.

------------------
Art Sigmon
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Php. 4:13

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword"
Heb. 4:12

hey art, glad to read elsewhere things are improving concerning your son and friend.i have a small model 4 clip point that i have been carrying daily. it is in cpm440v, and it is a frigging EXCELLENT knife.if it's reassurance you want, YOU DID GOOD!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Barry,
Thanks for asking about my son's. Actually we consider Will a second son and I am happy to report that he is doing well and goes back to school tomorrow. There have been countless prayers that have gone up and been answered. Will still has a long road of recovery and a few more surgeries to face, but so far so good!

On the other side, tomorrow is my first day of suspension from my teaching job. I have been charged with a misdemeanor for failure to secure the gun and a felony charge for possesion of a weapon of mass destruction and death. Even though I have a peace that everything will work out and I attribute that to prayer also!

Glad to hear the Carson model 4 is such a good knife for you. I have had several in the past and know this to be a super knife. Can't wait to get it!

Again, thanks all for the prayers. Our God hears and acts!

------------------
Art Sigmon

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword"

Art, I'll keep you in my prayers, and your sons. Especially now that I hear the charges. While I know that you can't talk about it now, I'd love to hear how this all turns out.

God be with you and yours.

------------------
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce
Most dog owners are at length able to teach themselves to obey their dog. - Robert Morley

iktomi

Hi Art - glad to hear that your "second son" is coming along very well. Definitely have been keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and will continue to do so.

The Model 4 - a classic Carson! I've had the large one for several years and it's definitely served me very well. Rock solid lock up, tank tough construction. I bought it from Bob Neal as an ATS-34 clip point with green and black G-10, and ithas sincebeen back to Kit to swap the G-10 for CF and the ATS clip for a S90V drop point. Now, its practically a new knife again and is more useful than before.

Kit does a bang up job on the handle - edges are rounded and there is a bit of a contour to the cross section of the handle to fill your grip. I especially like the fact that the lock bar is totally recessed so that when you grip the handle tightly, doing so won't cause the liner lock to accidentally release. Another feature I particularly like is the clip attachment. Unfortunately, I don't think Kit does this anymore - the top screw of the clip is secured directly into the pivot pin. Therefore the clip helps to strengthen the pivot pin area and prevents it from rotating. This arrangement causes the knife to ride higher in the pocket, but I'm used to it now.

You cannot go wrong with a Model 4. Very well designed and executed folder for hard use.

Hope to see you at the next Charlotte show!
smile.gif

------------------
Proud member of AKTI, NCCKG, NCKK, and SCAK

In memory of James K. Mattis

So you were the lucky guy who got that beauty from Les' website. Price was reasonable too. Mabye I should thank you - i was really tempted to get another despite my dire financial standing
wink.gif

Carson makes truly premium folders. His Model 4 is a classic - great design and flawless construction from a true craftsman. I've been thinking about getting another, maybe done up like THAT from Kelly 'Senator' Yates' collection: http://home.carolina.rr.com/senator/knives_custom.htm

You won't ever be sorry you bought one.

Red

------------------
"Praise not the day until evening has come;a sword until it is tried; ice until it has been crossed; beer until it has been drunk" - Viking proverb

[This message has been edited by redvenom (edited 02-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by redvenom (edited 02-22-2001).]

Got one in my pocket right now... If Kit could just find some good snakewood I would send it back for a second set of scales
smile.gif
The Large 4 is exactly that...Large! It is also a tough folder as stated already, the tang to lockbar area is huge compared to many makers I have seen. Very secure, comfortable design and the maker is really easy to find on-line (every night!)

-Sam.

Good luck with your situation!

I've got a large Model 4 that is the only folder, custom or production, that rivals the precision of my Sebenza. Outstanding knife! You oughtta love it.

Professor.

Well, well, well. I didn't think it was possible to improve on the Model 4 but I was wrong! The fit and finish has always been great, but seems exceptional this time. All the screws are countersunk as to not snag or irritate your hand. Opening and closing are buttery smooth. Lock up is like a bank vault door closing. There are no sharp edges anywhere except on the edge of the blade. The blade is huge in comparison to the handle, but when closed doesn't appear so. This has the "fighter" style blade and is a drop point with a 7/8 false edge that looks fantastic.
All in all it's everything I remember a model 4 being ( been 1 1/2 years since I had one )
only improved, if thats possible!
Thank you Mr. Carson for such a fine blade, and thank you Les for having it!
Now I can't wait to get that big camp folder!

------------------
Art Sigmon

Art,

Will let u know when I get mine's next week.

Liong

------------------
Follow The Path of Fantasies.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dexter Ewing:
The Model 4 - a classic Carson! Rock solid lock up, tank tough construction.

Kit does a bang up job on the handle - edges are rounded and there is a bit of a contour to the cross section of the handle to fill your grip. I especially like the fact that the lock bar is totally recessed so that when you grip the handle tightly, doing so won't cause the liner lock to accidentally release. You cannot go wrong with a Model 4. Very well designed and executed folder for hard use.
</font>

I second that. I have a medium (D2) and large (420V).

Kit's designs are very spartan and restrained. They exhibit little "flash" to the amateur. If you have experience with folders, if you've handled a bunch of them at shows or through ownership, you KNOW that Kit is among the very VERY best in this niche. His attention to design, fit, finish, precision, heat treat, and pure functionality is tops.

Kit's stuff is what you graduate to if you realize that Cr@wf0rd and El1schewit$ are usually kinda sloppy in the fit/finish arena, and offer gaudy rather than innovation and precision.

artsig1, I just got the BAK w/ 5" 420V blade knife your waiting for from Les. It's a BIG knife. I think I beat you to it eh? Hey guess what BAK stands for? Hint: it's a BIG knife. I've taken some pics of mine, if you want I can send them to you along with a review of the knife.

Hi AN and welcome to the forums. Congratulations on your new knife. I have had my model 4 for about a week now and it has just gotten smoother with time. Why not post the pictures here so that we can all enjoy Mr. Carsons work.
Frank Q.

------------------
"The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none."
Thomas Carlyle

fq55, If you ask me to post the pics here, then I must do so. I owe it to my fellow knife knuts! I will post the pics as soon as I figure out how.
biggrin.gif

When are y'all gonna learn not to ask for pictures when I'm around?
biggrin.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Kit's designs are very spartan and restrained. They exhibit little "flash" to the amateur.</font>

Not always! Kit put together this beauty for me last year. Here's a pic of the filework.

But you're right, the real beauty of Kit's knives is the precise fit and finish, and their wonderful functionality. My first custom was this Talonite M4 with carbon fiber scales.

Art - you're gonna love that new knife. Glad to hear that Will and the rest of you are recovering.

------------------
Kelly
My Custom Knife Collection

Member NCCKG, SCAK, and AKTI

Deo Vindice

[This message has been edited by Senator (edited 02-22-2001).]

Damn fine filework, Senator! The large Model 4 I've got screams for customization, but I think I'll leave it be. It is one of those few that I would say rivals the Sebenza formidably with precision. I can't say the same of other custom folders I have. Scarry that a production folder can be more precise than significantly more expensive handmades.

Kit Carson, at the risk of sounding like a total A-Kisser, is a master of the craft, no doubt about it. Everyone who handles the Model 4 I've got remarks on its superbness. I usually just smile and say, "yeah, I know
smile.gif
."

Professor.

So thats where the BAK went. Well I hope you enjoy it, and I am sure you will! Maybe I can get the next one that comes Les's way. For now I am going to sit back and enjoy the model 4. I can't help but be totally impressed. I just sit here and open/close the knife over and over. I can't find fault anywhere. It amazes me that the blade is so large when open but doesn't appear so when closed. I really like the "fighter" style blade grind.
Post those pics and review so we all can see what it looks like and how it acts. I will try to do the same. I think the BAK has the same blade grind as my model 4, just in a 5.0" blade.

Anyone out there on the fence over a Model 4, you WILL NOT go wrong!

------------------
Art Sigmon

Back