Kit Carson's "F4" Neck Knife

Blues

hovering overhead
Staff member
Super Mod
It's not every day that Kit Carson comes out with something new and different, especially considering the success he has enjoyed with his signature knives like the Model 4 and Model 16.

Over the past couple of years I've been talking to Kit about doing something in a neck knife, and as it turns out, I wasn't the only one. Some big names in the industry (who shall remain nameless) were also after Kit to jump into this arena.

I've had the privilege of seeing some prototypes that Kit has made over a period of time as he worked on plans for neck knives both of his own design and on behalf of some industry heavyweights.

Today Kit sent me a couple of his most recent neck knife designs. This project is one that Kit is particularly proud of, (as he should be) because in producing these knives he is working with his son, Jody Carson as well as his new son-in-law, Mike Obenauf. Those of us who know Kit and of his family already know that son, Jody, has demonstrated his talent in working with Kit on past projects, aside from his work with Remington firearms. Well, now Kit tells me that son-in-law Mike is a name to get familiar with, so take it to heart, because you're hearing it here first.

At first blush, when I opened the package I thought the knives looked a bit small for my taste.

That's one of the things I most respect about Kit. He knows my tastes pretty well and the size of knive I prefer and am accustomed to. Yet he wasn't afraid to hear what I might have to say about the knives and sent them to me for review without reservation.

What I found when I opened the box were two knives, obviously based on Kit's well known folder, the Model 4. One knife features a CPM-420V (S90V) blade, and the other a powder coated A2 blade. The overall length is 5.5" with a cutting edge of 2.5".

The grip is enhanced with scales of well textured field grade G-10 and a lanyard to assist with retention. The knives also feature traction notches on both the forward spine and forefinger areas to provide additional purchase.

View

Kit told me on the phone that he is planning on making these knives available in this size as well as one or possibly two larger sizes depending on customer needs and what works best in terms of form, fit and function. (And Kit's busy schedule.
wink.gif
)

The excellent fitted kydex sheath is made by
Frank Sigman of S&S Enterprises of N.C. The sheath comes equipped with two Chicago screws which allow the wearer to adjust the retention to his or her desired level. It works great. Both knives were very secure yet easily accessed.

The fit and finish on these knives was what we have come to expect from the shop of Kit Carson. Extremely clean work.

Kit explained the manufacturing process as follows:

"Mike band saws and grinds them to rough shape, drills and taps the holes, and cuts
out the handle pieces. Jody uses the CNC mill and profiles the blades and handles. Jody also does the powder coating. I hollow grind and heat-treat the blades."

Kit went on to say:

"We plan to price the small version at $135 with the neck sheath and chain, plus
shipping. That price will be the same for the 420V or powder coated A2, and just about any other steel asked for. I have some I’m finishing in BG 42 and the larger ones we have made are D2. If I can find the steel, I will make them out of just about anything, since we are hand cutting and CNC profiling them. Different colors of powder coat
will be available. We did 2 with OD green and they looked good. This powder coat is one of the best we have found."

So how do they cut? The answer is surprisingly well!

Though small, I set about cutting up the postal carton the knives were shipped in and found that they cut very efficiently belying their small size. The handles have no hot spots and the grip was surprisingly secure.

After shredding the cardboard, the knives still sliced paper cleanly. A couple of passes on my Razor Edge steel realigned the edges to the way they were before beginning the exercise. Impressive performance in a small package.

These knives will lend themselves to a variety of people and functions. I told Kit I thought that they would be great for folks who can't afford to wear larger knives under their clothing due to their mode of dress or employer policy.

Additionally, some folks just prefer smaller knives, especially neck knives, since they tend to be reserved for backup or lighter duty.

Judging by the weight and the symmetry of design, in my opinion they would be outstanding for women who would like to find a comfortable neck knife.

They are light (under 3 ounces with sheath), unobtrusive and as undetectable as any neck knife I know of.

As with other small neck knives, these can also be carried quite comfortably in the pocket, utilizing a "static cord" method of drawing the knife.

Kit can ordinarily be found roaming around these parts or on our evening chats when he has the time....or....barring that, you can reach him via email at:

kcknives@bbtel.com

Blues

------------------
Live Free or Die

Blues' Knife Pix

Blues, this is a winner! Very practical looking design that would do well in the urban environment as well as in wilderness.

Now, did Kit give any info as to the sizes of the larger ones? I'd love to see one with a 3.5 inch blade. Any plans for a Stellite version?

Inquiring knife knutts want to know!

Hi Harry,

I think that Kit and the boys are currently experimenting with a couple of sizes over and above the ones reviewed.

From what Kit told me, Jody is working on doing the CAD programming for the other sizes.

I'd expect Kit to chime in and answer questions here after a while, but don't hesitate to write him either.

I'm sure he'd be willing to work with you on the blade material of your choice.

Blues

------------------
Live Free or Die

Blues' Knife Pix

I thank heaven when I see a knife I don't like, and I was ready to let this whole FAD of neck knives just blow by me. Then this other guy (who shall remain nameless) makes me an Arclite. So I say to myself, "Okay, now I have a neck knife, nice knife, but I won't need or want another neck knife."

Now, Kit and the boys come up with this new knife, and I want one!

Darn you guys, Kit and Blues.
wink.gif

LOL PhilL. I wholeheartedly concur with your post to the letter.

Blues, as if your collection was not an enviable one to begin with, you have yet again added a piece that I must go out and get. Thank you for the review. Much appreciate it.

Now that the boys have finally released me from the shop for the evening, I can post.

The small one in the review is 5 1/2" OAL with blade .095-.115 thickness. The larger one is 7 3/8" OAL with .130 blade thickness. The larger one is the same shape and style but the blade is ground with a false edge on top. I have the small ones in the works with A2, D2, BG42, 420V, and 154CM. Initial run of the large ones will be in D2.

We are powder coating the A2 and D2 and will do it with any of the stainless steel versions.

Good write-up, bro, but why I am not surprised?
wink.gif
That's a classy little NK, Kit. The larger one with the false edge sounds particularly sweet to me. So, aside from doing one with stag scales for Phil, are you considering offering any other "one-offs"?
biggrin.gif

------------------
Cheers,
Brian

He who finishes with the most toys wins.

An honest, straight-foward evaluation based on the users practical experience with the product. Blues, I think you may be on to something here.
smile.gif
Great job on the review.

Guess I will have to leave my Christmas stocking up and have Santa make a return trip to put one of these in it. Can't wait to wrap my paw around one of em.

Hope Kit has got the high-tech shop of his hummin
wink.gif
. I think he will be makin a bunch of these.

------------------
Rs
Don
Medicine Man of the Extinct Fugowee Tribe

Blues, this is definitely another winner. I like shape of the overall knife. No sharp corners and something that you can use and use every day.
The small size would seem to be able to do most of the cutting chores that I do.
Congrats on the pair.

------------------
Ray Kirk
http://www.tah-usa.net/raker

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bcaffrey:
So, aside from doing one with stag scales for Phil
biggrin.gif

</font>

ET TU BC?
It's not being paranoid when people really are out to get you.

View

OMG!
eek.gif

Phil,

I've called the clinic, they're expecting you...
wink.gif

Blues

------------------
Live Free or Die

Blues' Knife Pix

Blues! You lucky DEVIL! Man them are sweet! Kit, put me on the list! I want one!

By the way Kit, your package with the "secret alloy"
smile.gif
will be mailed out tomorrow, sorry for the delay, I got chained to the grinder!

Nice knives, boys!

Phil, first a neck knife from Darrel and now one from Kit! Two neck knives!? Uh oh, I think Phil is going "tactical".
smile.gif

------------------

Louis Buccellato
http://www.themartialway.com
Knives, Weapons and equipment. Best prices anywhere.
-------------

"only the paranoid will survive"

Now I know which knife I'll be purchasing next!!!
smile.gif

Great job, Kit, and a very nice review, blues!!!

Thanks!!!

Mike

Hey Kit Does the post from Rob mean that you are going to be making this knife in Talonite. That would be great. I don't think you use Talonite right now, but it would be a great addition.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TheMartialWay:
Nice knives, boys!

Phil, first a neck knife from Darrel and now one from Kit! Two neck knives!? Uh oh, I think Phil is going "tactical".
smile.gif

</font>

Yes PhilL old boy - next thing you'll know, you are on the floor screaming from pain induced by tour friendly instructor (AKA Bram).....

Kit emailed me pics of his prototypes awhile back and i must say they look like tremendous users for the woods!

I have a knife in CPM 420V and have been playing a bit with it -- great steel that holds an edge after much use!

Looking forward to trying one of these myself!

Best,

Brian.

------------------
Brian Jones
Co-moderator
Wilderness & Survival Skills Forum

A quick update to the review....

After sending Kit back the two neck knives reviewed above, Kit sent me one of the larger versions he had made.

This larger F4 features an OAL of 7 3/8" with a blade of 3.5". The steel on this particular model is black powder coated D2.

(It is exactly as pictured above, just with the larger dimensions.)

This knife fits my hand extremely well and gives a very good grip, yet remains slim enough for comfortable carry and concealment.

The sheath is a bit more flexible in that it is configured with slots which allow for the knife to be carried on the belt, inside the waistband or lashed to a pack or shoulder strap. Very versatile.

I wore the rig in neck knife mode to work today and essentially forgot it was there minutes after putting it on.

Personally, I think at the price point
"Kit & Sons" is offering the knives at, they'd have to be considered a heck of a good deal.

Blues

------------------
Live Free or Die

Blues' Knife Pix

Back