Kit Carson's "F4" Neck Knife

Thanks for a great report and the "head's up" Blues. These are my favorite neck knives so far. Kit's stuff always seems "just right" to me. One of these F4's in 420V has my name on it!

Received mine on 02/12. Sweet little knife...and I mean little! Three fingers on the handle and the pinky on the lanyard. A larger blade that some of my small folders and less weight. It's so cute!

I've never had a BG-42 blade before, this one seems very hard, I like it.
smile.gif
(Kit? Any idea of the Rc?) It is still not as sharp as I would like, I will keep working at it in stages...as I learn the steel. Despite its diminutive size, I have been using it to cut veggies for my iguana, this doesn't seem to affect the edge at all. (Old wooden board, a daily task.)

So fer I am very pleased.
smile.gif

Steve-O

Hey I seen those at the Classic knife show. I should have bought one.

------------------
Pain was made for the weak!

Thanks Kit (let me know how the credit card battle is going),

Only 59 Rc? Seems harder to me, but I am not familiar with this steel. It's nasty sharp now, I think a little more work will make it scary.

I'm thinking of having "Scal-Pal" engraved on the blade.
smile.gif

Steve-O

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GaKnife:
Outstanding, Kit! Those are maybe the cleanest, simplest and most useful neck knives I've seen. Well done...
</font>

I'm with Hossum on this. Kit's designs exhibit remarkable restraint and practicality at a time when Flash and BS seem to sell in so many circles.

Blues, thanks for a great post. Much appreciated. Like I need a 5th neck knife, after initially resisting the whole trend.

Only five? The horror!!!
wink.gif

Thanks for the kind words.

Blues

------------------
Live Free or Die

Blues' Knife Pix

Question for Kit:

Did you, or would you consider drilling a few holes in the handle area, between the scale screws, to lighten up the small/light version a bit more? A bit of skeletonizing? For a neck knife, I personally find that to be worthwhile... the one place that weight seems to matter, neck carry.

By the way, the drilled-away material that falls off the drill bit is called "Drillium" I believe.

Robert,
It has a few holes under the handles. The total weight for knife, sheath, and chain is only 2.6 ounces.

I have worn my 420V F4 everyday for several weeks and as previoustly stated by Blues, you don't even know it is there. I have worn it under t-shirts, sweatshirts, and dress shirts and no one notices it unless I bring it to their attention.

While I have the small version, I will tell you without reservation it cuts a lot bigger than it is. With it's light weight, easy carry, and good steel it is definately a very practicle and well priced neck knife.

------------------
Rs
Don
Medicine Man of the Extinct Fugowee Tribe

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Blues:
Only five? The horror!!!
wink.gif

Blues
</font>

Ahhh, shades of the madman, Marlon Brando. "Are you an assasin?... is that a neck knife, or are you just happy to see me".

Indeed. 5 is too many. I'll likely sell two of them after my F4 arrives. The integral "double guard" on Kit's neck knife is what obviates two of them to the "for sale" pile.

What's the old saying "Better late than never"?
Well this little babay was worth waiting for. This was one of the limited run that Kit made with the Daryl Meier Damascus (33 made).

One and only one with stag scales.
wink.gif

View

My thanks to Don Eargle for the knife and to Kit and the boys for doing the work.

[This message has been edited by PhilL (edited 05-11-2001).]

It was worth the wait, wasn't PhilL.
wink.gif
I stashed one of the damascus ones away for my daughter.
smile.gif

The only way this F4 would be nicer is it it was made out of 6K/Stellite.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

The boy's done good on this project, Kit. Don't praise 'em too much or else it will go to their heads.
wink.gif

------------------
Ray 'md2020'

ATKI member #A001042

Ray, I heard the last thing Kit told the boys was, "The beatings will continue until morale improves."
wink.gif

Oh man I hope they are not bruised up for Blade
biggrin.gif

Kit, Phil sure is a beauty and I know it is a fantastic little knife. I have and use one of his G10 damascus models. Phil, yours looks much sweeter. (I might have a hard time deciding to put it up to fondle or actually use it
smile.gif

------------------
" The real art of living is to keep alive the longing in human beings to become greater versions of themselves." Laurens Van der Post in memory of James Mattis

I neglected to say it before - But kind words are in place.

The knives look very good and seem "right" - which is something I find hard to phrase - it's just there... and it is rare.

But in all honesty - PhilL's version looks the best...I may be getting old - but I feel I become strangely fond of that stag handle...

GR8 strait forward review, Blues

[This message has been edited by Blilious (edited 05-12-2001).]

Here is the standard g10 Damascus F4.
Gotta quit haning around that Blues character
biggrin.gif

Never owned a neck knife until he turned me on to them.
<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=107945&a=11439827&p=45073038&Sequence=0&res=high" TARGET=_blank>
Thumbnail
</A>

------------------
" The real art of living is to keep alive the longing in human beings to become greater versions of themselves." Laurens Van der Post in memory of James Mattis

Can't believe this thread is still makin' the rounds.
wink.gif

Oh, and Gus, just a few more weeks, bud!
biggrin.gif

Blues

------------------
Live Free or Die

Blues' Knife Pix

Back