• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Kitchen Cutlery, what do you use?

Same here?

FNG=?

By the way I'm in negotiations with Doc Gundersen at L&H Knives to make a couple
ATS-34 kitchen knives. Thanks for the tip.

[This message has been edited by clintonsucks (edited 30 May 1999).]

My current favorite kitchen knife is a 5 1/2" paring knife from Mel Sorg. Mel named it the 'onion slayer', due to the tactical nature of the designed usage. I reviewed the knife here (http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sstamp/knives/marvin_mel_sorg.html).
Shortly after it arrived I held a discussion with my wife regarding this knife and the dishwasher. As far as I know, the knife has NOT been through the dishwasher. We have also had several discussions concerning the relative merits of plates versus cutting-boards and how that affects long-term knife sharpness. Unfortunately, I guess I was a little too specific in my comments, as I recently found my wife using the blade to cut up a pork roast in a Pyrex roasting pan! This may have had some effect on the sharpness, even on D-2!
Anyway, I've been using the knife for almost 3 months now, and it's become my favorite kitchen knife. Despite the Pyrex pan, I haven't had to sharpen it yet - I wanted to go as far as I could just to see how the D-2 holds up. It still slices a tomato - not as well as it did initially, but pretty well, with no squashing. I guess I'll give up and sharpen it in a few days, but so far I've been well pleased with the functionality over a wide range of kitchen tasks as well as its long edge-holding capability.

------------------

Back