"Kitchen" knife ?

Andy,
I agree with the idea of synthetic handles for durability and exposure to wet.
I agree with myright, I don't put my good knives in the dishwasher.
The harsh detergents and the abrasives in dishwasher detergent dull the edges. I like to keep a sharp convex edge on my kitchen knives.
Ira

I thought it was a good idea to put more Kitchen Knife pics in this thread.

dec106_1333-vi.jpg

dec106_1334-vi.jpg

dec106_1336-vi.jpg

dec106_1337-vi.jpg

dec106_1338-vi.jpg

We got to test her out this weekend. I made salsa. The knife sails through veggies.

pia106_1380-vi.jpg

Leah, cutting up zucchini.

pia106_1381-vi.jpg

pia106_1383-vi.jpg

pia106_1387-vi.jpg

Now, I just did some checking at Admiral, and they have 440C all the way down to 1/16" thick. This one was 1/8" thick, and with the height of that grind, and thinness of it, its not suffering on performance. But I think it would be neat to see it thinner too! I am going to get 1/16 thick stuff to do Ladyfinger parer/steak knives.

Have you decided if this is a blade you are going to be producing for sale? If so, when are you thinking of adding it to the line? I'm sure everyone would love to know pricing as well.

I will be offering this knife as part of my line. We have lots to work out though. For example, do y'all like the idea of thinning the blade, or do you like the idea of having it 1/8" thick. My wife says it doesn't make it too heavy, and both her and my mother were impressed with its performance in the kitchen!

Pricing is going to be $250.

I would leave it 1/8". I've drooled over many of the real deal super expensive custom Asian kitchen knives and a lot of them are at least that thick.

Could use some pics of Sarah cutting stuff up. Maybe we do a wife-kitchenknife pic passaround. I'm sure there are other misses that I'd enjoy viewing.

(I like sisters, and even moms too)

Well, maybe my wife could take pictures of me doing something with it in the kitchen. My wife is not allowed to handle knives. She claims she is ok with magic wonder knives or serrated but she doesn't get to get ahold of anything else. She managed to cut her hand with a cheap butter knife two thanksgivings ago. 'Nuff said.

Were the final dimentions of the kitchen knife ever posted?

Andy,
If the intended use of this knife is as a classic Santoku, then it would make sense to thin it out a bit.
If you want to be able to use it on tougher jobs like pineapples and carving a turkey, then 1/8" is perfect.
I would vote for keeping it at 1/8"

Andy - I would prefer it to be 1/8" Anything more than that I think is overkill. My Shun classic (that I love) is 1/8" and the balance is perfect and the performance is amazing.

How is this thing working out? I'd like to hear some reviews of it and your thoughts on it.

Well, maybe my wife could take pictures of me doing something with it in the kitchen. My wife is not allowed to handle knives. She claims she is ok with magic wonder knives or serrated but she doesn't get to get ahold of anything else. She managed to cut her hand with a cheap butter knife two thanksgivings ago. 'Nuff said.

Well, prove me wrong!

My wife is only allowed to use old fashioned do-it-all wonder knives. I got out one I bought about 5 years ago or so because the old one 15-20 years old was dirty and I was too lazy to wash it. She cut a nice chunk out of her hand with it.

Oh, well.

I have cut another one, and a ladyfinger style knife to match it out of 1/8" thick 440C. Thats what I have anyway...

The consensus in the Roy household is that its performing really well. I love using it. And the edge has held, only needing steeling on a polished steel once.

I'd vote to keep it at 1/8" as well. That loos like a hit. Like out of the park.

And my wife doesn't play with the kitchen knives either.

Back