1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kitchen knives damaged by commercial sharpener

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Twentytwentyprojects, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Twentytwentyprojects

Twentytwentyprojects

Apr 16, 2018
    [​IMG]https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/shares/770H1w[​IMG] My wife dropped our kitchen knives, including 2 older knives my grandfather gave me, off at a cutlery and sharpening shop. Apparently he told her the knives might get scratched by the procedure he uses to sharpen knives. She didn’t think to ask me if that was ok as she assumed it would be within reason. When we received the knives back, they are all sharp but have a line of scratches up the blade of each of them. 2 are Henckels professional and a shun plus a cutco and the heirlooms. Is this normal? What machine was used to do such damage? It looks like a bench grinder was used because the bevel is no longer straight. Is there a way to fix this? I realized after the fact that these companies all offer sharpening services but now that the damage is done they can no longer help.

bucketstove likes this.
  2. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    I can't say what was done to ruin those blades but for repair I think is possible just not sure what the cost will be to the knives or to your wallet. I would speak to a true professional sharpener about it and that might could be used to make the "professional" sharpener pay for the damage.

3. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    I doubt he will pay for the damage. He warned the OP’s that the knives could get scratched during the sharpening process.

When taking your knives to be sharpened it is important to check out the method the sharpener is using. Best bet is to go to a reputable sharpener. There are many on bladeforums that will do it for you.

4. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    @Lapedog I doubt too but I would say there may have been a misrepresentation of the damage because it sounded more like like scratching and what is shown is just a nightmare.

5. darth_cholo

darth_cholo Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 29, 2010
    that looks horrible. I expect a professional to do better.

- if they do by hand I would expect better
    - By hand with a bench grinder i still expect better
    - a manual guided sharpener wouldn't do that
    - if using a bench grinder and you don't know how to do by hand I expected a guided bench grinder.

Am I wrong about these assumptions?

6. Twentytwentyprojects

Twentytwentyprojects

Apr 16, 2018
    This company says they’ve been in business doing this for 50 years down here in miami. I just can’t understand how they could still be in business. I usually hand sharpen my knives but have not had time and thought I could get a good factory type edge back on them.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/shares/6nxY62

7. Twentytwentyprojects

Twentytwentyprojects

Apr 16, 2018
    I spoke with cutco and Henckels who both reminded me they offer a very reasonable sharpening service but that they would not be able to correct the aesthetic issues that occurred.

8. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
  9. Spideyjg

Spideyjg

Nov 7, 2017
    My guess would be some sort of pull through motorized device with a very coarse grit diamond wheel. It didn't touch the whole blade on the chef knife.

Do all look like the chef?

A real sharpener could fix that. Sadly things like this sully the trade.

That would take smoothing the damage to a fine grit then a satin finish. If the scratches are too deep there may be some "scarring" to avoid wasting steel.

Jim

10. Misthailin

Misthailin Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 15, 2017
    That’s crazy.... is it just me, or is there a massive chip near the tip of that chef?

11. annr

annr Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 15, 2006
    That was my impression too, and I couldn't believe it.

12. Twentytwentyprojects

Twentytwentyprojects

Apr 16, 2018
    There is not a chip in the chefs knife but the edge is now no longer straight. It has dips in the edge from where pressure was irregularly placed on the knife while sharpening it. All of the knives are similarly damaged but the chef and the cleavers are the worst. I just don’t know enough about sharpening knives and specifically mechanical methods of sharpening knives. It looks like some kind of course grinder was used.

13. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded

Jun 4, 2010
    How sharp are they? It looks like they were sharpened on the same gear used to do lawnmower blades.

Honestly I can see some small handling scratches in a high volume setting, but for $ they shouldn't look a whole lot different than what they had when they were purchased. Nobody would buy kitchen knives off the shelf looking like that, which should be a baseline cosmetic/functional standard, and no it isn't normal coming from anyone remotely qualified.

A new edge could be put on them, but any cosmetic repair to the primary grind will quickly cost more than the value of the knives.

14. Twentytwentyprojects

Twentytwentyprojects

Apr 16, 2018
    Also the fee was comparable to other places I checked. I paid $50 for 6 knives and assumed the methods of this 50 year old knife sharpening business would be similar to other places. The owner had the nerve to say any and all commercial knife sharpening companies would do it the same way. I said I was going to talk to the manufacturers and asked if he thought that they would think the same thing and he said yes.

15. Twentytwentyprojects

Twentytwentyprojects

Apr 16, 2018
    They are sharp but I wonder how long that will last.

16. Spideyjg

Spideyjg

Nov 7, 2017
    Speaking as a commercial knife sharpener no way in hell would I have charged you that much nor jacked your blades up like that. Sadly I see lots of horrible damage from "sharpeners".

As HeavyHanded said a pro sharpened knife shouldn't look much different, just cut better.

Jim

17. Misthailin

Misthailin Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 15, 2017
    I’m absolutely not a pro and would sharpen better than that.

18. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded

Jun 4, 2010
    The Henckles doesn't even look as though it was sharpened all the way to the bolster, tho tough to say from the pics. If that's representative of commercial sharpening service, I need to start doing my commercial work blindfolded - and drunk.

I will say that isn't the first time someone has posted up similar looking pics of their abused kitchen knives, so don't feel as though this is super extreme bad. It IS, but is also not unheard of. IDK what these outfits normally sharpen other than shovels that allows them to stay in business.

19. Spideyjg

Spideyjg

Nov 7, 2017
    I have a Deba that is beyond economical repair that would make you cringe.

20. bucketstove

bucketstove

Sep 23, 2014
    Hi,
    ouch :)
    Chef's choice edge ? P60 grit?
    This guy also had bad experience in miami but did not name and shame I researched and found a knife sharpening place in my city (Miami) with a great reputation and a fifty year history. They have absolutely destroyed this knife
    [​IMG]