Kizer Aesthetics, a Breath of Fresh Air

Discussion in 'Kizer Cutlery' started by Insipid Moniker, Oct 27, 2015.

1. bld522

bld522

Feb 3, 2004
    Right. And while I respect that you don't buy China, buying a Gemini supports a US blade designer. I'm not sure if that would be enough to persuade you or anyone else to change their mind, but I'm going where Ray's going for the simple reason that I'm priced out of his customs and I love his designs. (Thank God I bought a Slim EDC from Ray before the prices of his customs hit the stratosphere.) The fact that Kizer did a spectacular job of delivering a reasonably-priced production version of his Small Jasmine Flipper doesn't hurt anything either. I'd defy any other maker, foreign or domestic, to have done better.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    NG VI likes this.
  2. SpeedHoles

SpeedHoles

Jan 18, 2015
    I haven't pulled the trigger on a Kizer yet, but there are a couple of designs on my radar that I would like to try out.

That is amazing, really like what was done there.

NG VI likes this.
  3. brancron

brancron Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2011
    In addition to supporting Ray Laconico, buying the Gemini also supports Crucible, who Kizer gets its steel from (and Kizer may be buying other materials from the US as well, I'm not sure), as well as the American retailer that sells the knives, as well as the American companies that are part of the supply chain throughout the process.

NG VI likes this.
  4. bld522

bld522

Feb 3, 2004
    All true . . .

5. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    He is ridiculously good at that pattern. It really brings the knife to a completely different level. I look forward to more pics of both of these knives. :thumbup:

6. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    I agree that they sometimes seem to sacrifice function for form, but I also think they're learning and adapting very, very quickly. The Mistral, Zambi and Walkabout all have at least a touch of artistic flare, but they also all look like very solid, functional knives. The Walkabout in particular strikes me as a very solid stand in for the Gemini for those who don't mind losing the bells and whistles.

NG VI likes this.
  7. marcinek

marcinek Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Meh. I wouldn't call titanium framelock flippers a breath of fresh air. That has been done over and over.

Nor would I call those textured handles like in brancron's Flashbang anything new. Those have been done over and over too.

Are they well-engineered/crafted? From what people say about them, I assume so.

But as far as aesthetics, been there done that a while ago.

Since you asked.

8. bld522

bld522

Feb 3, 2004
    So if you wouldn't mind sharing, is there a production manufacturer's aesthetics you do you like? If there is, what do you like about their aesthetics?

NG VI likes this.
  9. marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    That's not the topic at hand, is it? It is whether or not we like Kizer's. And I happen not to.

10. bld522

bld522

Feb 3, 2004
    No worries. Just wondering if it was Titanium framelocks and sculpted handles in general or Kizer's implementation of them that weren't floating your boat.

NG VI likes this.
  11. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Nothing wrong with that. I'll wholeheartedly agree that titanium framelock flippers have been done to death, but I welcome more modern folders that don't seem purely aimed at the tactical crowd.

NG VI likes this.
  12. bld522

bld522

Feb 3, 2004
    I'd guess that the reason Titanium framelock flippers have been done to death is because of their popularity. It's hard to say whether or not that trend will continue. But if the products knife manufacturers are bringing to market are any indication, I don't see any signs of it letting up yet.

NG VI likes this.
  13. Nap

Nap

Sep 9, 2015
    I completely agree. I thought I was done buying folders for a while, and then I got a look at the Gemini and was immediately smitten. I'm not in love with all of their designs, but it does seem like they have something for everyone.

Alas, my Gemini's been held up in customs for almost two weeks, now; hopefully it makes it to me while I still feel this way.

NG VI likes this.
  14. bld522

bld522

Feb 3, 2004
    Keep the faith, Nap. It's worth the wait. I haven't been able to get my Gemini out of my pocket since the day it arrived. :)

15. marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    I just don't find Kizer's interpretation of either much different than anyone else's. Which is precisely my point.

16. bld522

bld522

Feb 3, 2004
    I agree. The handle material, frame lock and sculpting aren't what make them unique. What makes them unique in my opinion is that they collaborate with designers I like, particularly Ray Laconico. I'll be interested to see who else they bring on board.

My sense of things is that Kizer is out to make a name for themselves and they've got the resources to back them up. I'm blown away by the number of collaborators they've lined up and models they've brought to market in the short time they've been around. At the rate they're going, I'm convinced they'll become a force to be reckoned with . . . if they're not already.

17. dogrunner

dogrunner Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 26, 2003
    Dirk Pinkerton has some designs in the que. Tastes vary, but these look nice too.
    Personally I don't like flippers and prefer G10 or CF handles, but still find some of the Kizer designs interesting. They may or may not be particularly novel, but standard, tried-and-true designs are likely to be good, functional designs. I just hope the price does not go crazy like Reate has.

18. bld522

bld522

Feb 3, 2004
    You and me both. The bad news is that they have a big hill to climb by virtue of the fact that they're based in China and they haven't established a Stateside service department for their entire product line. The good news is that they're making the right moves when it comes to lining up talent and bringing a lot of well-made products to market. So how is this going to play out as their prices increase? I have no idea. But I've rarely followed a manufacturer with so much interest.

19. K.O.D.

K.O.D. My head is on loose but my shoes are tight Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Considering that many of Kizer's selection is "art" knives, I would be surprised to see a Brian Tighe collab, button lock or klecker lock and all. That would bring it between CRKT crap and full on custom.

20. bld522

bld522

Feb 3, 2004
    When I think of "art" knives, I don't really think of Kizers. I think more of William Henrys and Sebenzas with unique graphics and the like. But would I like to see a Kizer/Tighe collab? You bet I would. IMO, Brian deserves better than CRKT to manufacture his production pieces.